If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... - Page 8

If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

This is a discussion on If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm older than dirt too, old enough to remember when kids had .22s, played and bicycled all over, a different world. However, back then I ...

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

I'm older than dirt too, old enough to remember when kids had .22s, played and bicycled all over, a different world. However, back then I never saw anyone bring a rifle into an ordinary community event or for that matter anyone but a cop walk around with a gun on his hip. I very much support the 2d Amendment, but like the 1st, there's a point where someone going to such lengths to prove what they have the right to do only makes the antis more anti.

As for the in-your-face thing. Sure, you can get in someone's face and intimidate them into saying they agree with you. How long does that new conviction last? If it does last that's a pretty easily influenced weak convert you've got there.

No matter my generally strong feelings about the rights in the Bill of Rights, if I saw someone carrying a rifle at an ordinary event like a farmer's market, I'd turn on my heel and get out of there. No, I don't think what he's carrying makes him shoot-anyone crazy, but I do think it makes him a jerk, and I don't want to be in the same neighborhood with armed jerks. I've seen people OCing pistols at Walmart, and it doesn't strike me like that, but a rifle at a farmer's market, really?

A cased rifle in a car or on a train? Shrug. A rifle in a pickup's gun rack? Shrug.
    Risasi, maxwell97 and AnthonyC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Attachment 301732

We are not on the same team, I disagree with your actions entirely, and believe you are causing gun rights in general irreparable harm.

The views expressed in this essay mirror my own:

https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.co...qHp9JNZ7m9NjZg

"Our 2nd Amendment rights are under an exceptionally high level of threat right now, and we are very likely to lose some of our rights. When we do I will blame this person and persons like him before I blame Democrats, ‘sheeple’ etc., because he should know better. Adults are supposed to assess the likely effects of their actions and work towards their desired outcome. Actions like this are counter to our interests and should not, in my opinion, be undertaken. The mere fact that we can do a thing does not mean that we must, or even should, do that thing."
    Can't agree that we would blame this guy MORE than blaming Democrats for loss of 2A rights. I would put the blame squarely on the Democrats. I would say bold open "carry" (literally carry in this example haha) is a little irresponsible considering the political climate. But that's very different than blaming OC folks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    And I understand NOBODY turned in their high capacity magazines the the New Jermany police. It's time we stood up for our rights. It's not uncommon in Israel, a nations that has some strict gun control laws, to see someone open carrying an AR or an Uzzi or AK. It's seen often and nobody cares. Except terrorists.
    Bikenut likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TribalRose View Post
    I'm older than dirt too, old enough to remember when kids had .22s, played and bicycled all over, a different world. However, back then I never saw anyone bring a rifle into an ordinary community event or for that matter anyone but a cop walk around with a gun on his hip. I very much support the 2d Amendment, but like the 1st, there's a point where someone going to such lengths to prove what they have the right to do only makes the antis more anti.

As for the in-your-face thing. Sure, you can get in someone's face and intimidate them into saying they agree with you. How long does that new conviction last? If it does last that's a pretty easily influenced weak convert you've got there.

No matter my generally strong feelings about the rights in the Bill of Rights, if I saw someone carrying a rifle at an ordinary event like a farmer's market, I'd turn on my heel and get out of there. No, I don't think what he's carrying makes him shoot-anyone crazy, but I do think it makes him a jerk, and I don't want to be in the same neighborhood with armed jerks. I've seen people OCing pistols at Walmart, and it doesn't strike me like that, but a rifle at a farmer's market, really?

A cased rifle in a car or on a train? Shrug. A rifle in a pickup's gun rack? Shrug.
    I understand there was a time when young kids carried .22 rifles around. In town. At playgrounds. A variation of the Boy Scouts as I recall.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    And I understand NOBODY turned in their high capacity magazines the the New Jermany police. It's time we stood up for our rights. It's not uncommon in Israel, a nations that has some strict gun control laws, to see someone open carrying an AR or an Uzzi or AK. It's seen often and nobody cares. Except terrorists.
    I was in Israel last summer, and aside from military members along the borders and security staff at high risk areas, saw no OC long guns. I saw very few handguns OC'ed.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simple_man17 View Post
    So there you go. You can do your own research. Imagine that...
    I did, and found nothing to back your original assertions, so back to my question, specific examples?
    Wavygravy and maxwell97 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simple_man17 View Post
    Breasts and balls? Come on out to Seattle during gay pride month sometime.....
    Ah, sorry - I assumed you were using a derogatory term for cross-dressers, not for transgender people. My mistake.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

All the men in westerns carried sidearms. You mean that’s not the truth? My entire perspective upturned in one thread!

I admire the restraint and judgement of concealed carriers in my small community. We might all be armed but we don’t need to show or tell.

Don’t fuel the antis’ rants and campaigns, let them worry about other things instead. Anymore I think open carry in and about our peopled community, especially with a dressed-out AR, protects our 2A rights a out as effectively as suppressing a fire by throwing gasoline on it.
    Mike1956, Wavygravy and Instymp like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

We live in a time when people are polarized. My goal has been to present myself as a licensed gun carrier that is a responsible person and not feed the hysterical stereotypes. It is all about appearance. I only OC on weekdays because I am dressed in business shirt / slacks/ tie and sport coat. I use a OWB holster because I have to remove my gun before enter my office. My employer is based in a deep blue state. Sometimes I leave my sport coat in the truck. Hey, I'm in Houston. When I walk into the Exxon station for my morning fix of caffeine, what people see is a business person with a gun in an OWB holster with a strap over the slide for retention. The employees and regular customers know me and no one fears me. I don't feed the stereotype of a gun nut. I've been asked if I am affiliated with LEO, and I say no, but my employer does have a private investigator's license.

Don't feed the Anti's stereotype. Wearing a 2A shirt, standing with a person in an NRA t-shirt, carrying a threatening looking rifle on a sling like it would be at the ready, well, you get the picture. Now, if the gun was in a case, people might have had a different reaction. Don't look like you're about to shoot the place up, and no one will fear you.

Feeding the stereotypes, defeats our cause. We have to be better than than the Anti's.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?
    We get the government we deserve.

In my not so humble opinion the anti gunners are winning by having done a very good job of intimidating gun owners/carriers into being careful to not .. offend.
    Havok and msgt/ret like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?
    Not me.
    Havok likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    In my not so humble opinion the anti gunners are winning by having done a very good job of intimidating gun owners/carriers into being careful to not .. offend.
    That's one opinion. There are others.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    That's one opinion. There are others.
    Of course there are. This is America.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I was just thinking, I’m sure Bloomberg’s staff will be sending out emails to some gun owners thanking them for taking some of the workload off of them, so they can focus their time and money elsewhere.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links