If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... - Page 9

If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

This is a discussion on If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Havok I was just thinking, I’m sure Bloomberg’s staff will be sending out emails to some gun owners thanking them for taking ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 215
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

  1. #121
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I was just thinking, I’m sure Bloomberg’s staff will be sending out emails to some gun owners thanking them for taking some of the workload off of them, so they can focus their time and money elsewhere.
    The guy in the OP photo should certainly get one.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

  2. #122
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?
    Apples to oranges

    One does not have the elements of grave bodily harm or death, the other does.
    maxwell97 likes this.

  3. #123
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    And I understand NOBODY turned in their high capacity magazines the the New Jermany police. It's time we stood up for our rights. It's not uncommon in Israel, a nations that has some strict gun control laws, to see someone open carrying an AR or an Uzzi or AK. It's seen often and nobody cares. Except terrorists.
    Comparing Israel to US. When they have the Doc to guide their country, comparison MIGHT be closer

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #124
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    The guy in the OP photo should certainly get one.
    He's definitely not who I was referring to.
    We get the government we deserve.

  6. #125
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Apples to oranges

    One does not have the elements of grave bodily harm or death, the other does.
    huh? I was only talking about one person.
    We get the government we deserve.

  7. #126
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    huh? I was only talking about one person.
    So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?

    Didn't seem singular the way you posted it.

  8. #127
    Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,728
    This topic seems to be dividing the gun community.
    Sore another point to the oppressors.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    forester58 likes this.

  9. #128
    VIP Member Array forester58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    This topic seems to be dividing the gun community.
    Sore another point to the oppressors.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I honestly don't think any such "community" exists as evidenced here.
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and CreedDryrot like this.

  10. #129
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?

    Didn't seem singular the way you posted it.
    Ok, I guess I can see what you're saying, I was referring to the posteres here, but singular in the situation, if that makes sense.
    AzQkr likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  11. #130
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Remember, during the late 19th century, west of the Mississippi river saw men carrying guns openly often. During the same time, few people were left openly carrying guns in Boston, NYC etc.

    And lets look at depictions of the Continental Congress, I've never seen any of them openly carrying arms while determining what's to be included in the BOR.
    Mike1956 likes this.

  12. #131
    Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    ...lets look at depictions of the Continental Congress, I've never seen any of them openly carrying arms while determining what's to be included in the BOR.
    It's a little-known fact that Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and Alexander Hamilton always carried concealed Glocks, 24/7/365.
    All the others preferred Colts because they were made in America.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

  13. #132
    Senior Member Array OneGunTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    So for all of the people so concerned about what others think, how many of you will refuse to use your gun to protect yourself, or those around you out of respect for anyone who might not approve of you shooting the criminal?
    What? Are you on something? If I was concerned about using my gun to protect myself or my family if we are under a threat, I might as well not carry at all. However, there is absolutely no reason to feed the Anti's stereotype when i am carrying.
    AnthonyC and JasonVanHalen like this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

  14. #133
    Member Array frgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    135
    Some of the comparisons being made are not quite in alignment.
    First, coming from a family with several member who were 'first blacks', All of these men and women were not out to make a political statement. They just wanted to do what they enjoyed doing. This applies to playing football and achieving high ranks in the military. On the flip side, my father did work to change the political landscape in Massachusetts during the 60's.

    Second, and my history is a little weak on this one. I am not sure of the that Parks set out to make a change. She, like most, were simply tired of the experience and just sat down. Life being black during the the first half of the century was exhausting.

    Last, Open carry pre-, during, and post the reconstruction was not a political statement but more of intimidation and defense. From some of the history of Race and guns that I am currently reading, the US looked to be on the verge of a major internal war. Both sides of race were definitely in a full feud.

    Admittedly, I am still learning/reading historical works, but at this moment, I am seriously considering that the emancipation was more out of political necessity to prevent a complete war. Many local gun laws were enacted as local attempts to control one side or the other.

    In other words, there is more depth to Rosa Parks than current OC statements. the background was far more violent than current OC statements which seem to be more of an effort to change minds. As a result, I remain on the fence but do default to acceptance of their actions although, the activity could be better organized for a cleaner result.

  15. #134
    Member Array AnthonyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CNY
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    My last comment on this because I truly believe this is actually another useless thread either endorsing or bashing open carry.

    I have observed people in America for 7 decades, 2 centuries, and 2 millenniums. Here we are 243 years downstream and I believe we still do not really understand what it means to be free.

    Freedom means no one has to seek out your approval for doing something that is not restricted by law. Freedom means some people will say and do things you don't like. Some people will order their steak well done, or rare, or their ice cream chocolate or vanilla. Some people will just rub your fur the wrong way. The response usually flows along the lines of, "Well if they had good taste, or common sense, or if they just understood things like I do, or saw the reality of things the way I see them, they would restrain themselves - as I do."

    Thank the good Lord above those who founded this country didn't believe that to be necessary. I believe freedom, real freedom as outlined in the Constitution (and a book we cannot discuss), is a lot more complicated than we imagine. We honestly think everyone should think and believe and say and act and dream as we do. We ridicule and scorn those who do not. With every word we only prove the assertion again and again that we do not really know what it means to be free in America.

    You don't have to eat what I eat, or go to the same church, or not go at all, or wear socks with your sandals, barefoot in your loafers, or own a Sig instead of a Glock, or carry OWB, IWB, AIWB, or Mexican even. You and I can be as different as the Sun and the Moon, yet freedom means we must learn to respect one another as Americans. When our fur gets rubbed the wrong way, maybe we should just be thankful that we are all Americans and celebrate the reality that we are free.

    Pardon my soapbox, but if we are going to lose this precious freedom we all cherish, it will be partly because we have lost respect for those who are not like us in every way.

    Now back to your regularly scheduled argument.
    I believe in the sentiment of your argument, that as free men and women we should be able to live our lives as we see fit as long we don't intrude on another's freedoms. I don't think that the OP was disputing that. However I think the OP was trying to say that if the man in the photo was trying to convert undecided Americans to the Pro-2A side, he was going about it the wrong way. Persuasion does not often involve "in-your-face-tactics," as a kid on a high school debate team can tell you. If often results in people digging their heels in on their opinion. I have had much better results taking people to a gun range and having them shoot, especially if we start with a .22LR rifle, then getting into a red-faced shouting match with them (which I have done). Heck, just having my kids' friends shooting a BB gun in our back yard has helped with some very anti-gun families.

    Also, appearances matter. It's a fact. It's been shown in study after study. It matters to adults, to kids, even to animals. So, how the gun community portrays itself matters.
    Look at the guy in the photo below. I don't know him. He could be a very nice guy. But I will never let my kids play with his, operate on my parents, serve me food, do any home/car repairs, or even walk my dog. Is that judgemental? Hell, yes! But humans are designed, hardwired, to be judgemental, to discriminate, to categorize. We do it when we pick a mate, when shop for a car, when we make friends.

    So, the person in the OP's photo may have every right to OC a rifle at a farmers market. Absolutely. But he ain't converting anyone to our side which we need to do if we want to secure our rights in the future.

    If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...-161894d1449001805-why-people-piercing-tattooing-their-dogs-face-tattoos-piercings-16710588.jpg

  16. #135
    VIP Member Array OldChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,534
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    So, the person in the OP's photo may have every right to OC a rifle at a farmers market. Absolutely. But he ain't converting anyone to our side which we need to do if we want to secure our rights in the future.
    And therein lies the basic problem. We form judgments based on a single photo. We don't know who this is from Adam. We don't have any more idea what his purpose is than the man in the moon. In short, we work from total ignorance and then judge someone an idiot because of what the PHOTO seems to show.

    When I wore a badge we had a practice that worked pretty well. Everyone who wore a badge got the benefit of the doubt, until proven conclusively that they were not worthy of it. In fact, everyone, badge or not, got the benefit of the doubt until we had evidence to the contrary. People say a picture speaks a thousand words, and that may be true. But no one has ever said a single photo, or even 30 minutes of video, tells the WHOLE STORY. It doesn't cost anybody anything (except a bit of childish chest thumping) to give ALL gun owners the benefit of the doubt until the person is proven by the evidence not to warrant it.

    The best way I know for everyone to lose ALL rights protected under the 2nd Amendment is for gun owners to judge all other gun owners motives and intentions based on ignorance because all we see is a PHOTO. We turn on each other at the drop of a hat, and then wonder why the people who want to confiscate guns continue to make strides to do just that.

    Does anyone here remember the vehemence that gun owners who only hunt used on anyone who dared to suggest it should be legal for people wanting to protect their lives to carry a pistol?

    IMHO it would be far better we reserve judgement until the evidence is in. In that way we would present a united front. I'm just not sold on the fact that those who judge and condemn the motives of others based on such superficial evidence are not a greater threat to freedom than anyone else - even those who stand on a presidential debate stage and declare they intend to confiscate guns.

    And I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but exactly how many of YOU have done ANYTHING to convince ANYONE in a public place that concealed carriers, (who are secretive in the extreme) are worthy to be trusted with a gun? And by that I mean let anyone know you carry a deadly weapon but would never use it to harm an innocent person? Anyone who carries concealed ever done that to influence anyone? You think anybody has ever looked at you (with your carefully hidden pistol) and said to themselves, "Wow, that is a responsible gun owner" ?

    [/RANT OVER]
    Bikenut and LimaCharlie like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •