CA bans privately run prisons, including ICE facilities.

This is a discussion on CA bans privately run prisons, including ICE facilities. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The CA legislature has just passed a bill the gov. is expected to sign, banning private prison facilities. This would appear to include ICE's two ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: CA bans privately run prisons, including ICE facilities.

The CA legislature has just passed a bill the gov. is expected to sign, banning private prison facilities. This would appear to include ICE's two largest detention facilities in the state. So basically they have already told the feds they can't use state and local jails for detention and now they are telling them they can't have their own facilities if they outsource the management of them to private contractors. I'm thinkin' this one winds up in the courts over the Supremacy Clause.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mmigration-ice
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    You mean there are actually illegal aliens locked up in CA?
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Get with the "woke" lingo, man! They are "undocumented immigrants." The aliens are locked up in Area 51!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

There are a lot of very good reasons against having private (low bidder) prisons. Unfortunately CA is using the wrong reasons!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

This tit for tat legislation completely defies the core concept that a "slow and deliberating government' is vital to undermining mob rule.
    matthew03 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you mean by "locked up" is there a lock on the door of the free hotel rooms they put them up in at tax payers expense? Then yes

Maybe they will use the extra bed space to house the Hopelessly Homeless!.... Maybe....
    1942bull likes this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    The justice system, especially when it comes to incarceration, should have no profit motive.

If He does sign it there will be lawsuits coming from several Big Corporations Who built with the blessing of the State . And from those towns that count on those Prisons for the Tax Benefits.
    To cut down on overcrowding CA is under court order to build new facility's, or release more inmates. There answer so far has been to dump as many as possible back on the street, and Remand the rest back to the county that they were arrested in.

I can think of four facility's here in central CA Two that are small [ only a couple of hundred each] that house Medical patients. And two larger facility's that house a couple thousand. Where is He going to put those inmates? Every county jail I know of is full to capacity all the time!
    I know what the last Gov did. He dumped any lesser crimes back out on the street!

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    There are a lot of very good reasons against having private (low bidder) prisons. Unfortunately CA is using the wrong reasons!
    Yet some of the worst run prisons in the nation are gov't operated and not privately operated. Epstein's jail for instance where the warden was merely transferred to be a problem at another jail. The private sector can generally be counted upon to do a better job of most anything than gov't can. Private school vs public school, VA vs private hospital, etc.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    The justice system, especially when it comes to incarceration, should have no profit motive.
    You would rather it had a “bureaucratic empire building” motive? Because that’s the alternative and the tradition. And that legacy has a dismal history.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I look at it this way. The government runs the system that makes the laws that when broken result in arrests. It runs law enforcement that makes the arrest. It operates the courts that decide innocence or guilt. I provides the judges who set sentences. Therefore it ought to operate and control the prisons the house those who are sent there as a result of the system.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    What is the process for kicking a state out of the union? I can think of several that apparently don't want to belong anymore.
    MMinSC and NECCdude like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    What is the process for kicking a state out of the union? I can think of several that apparently don't want to belong anymore.
    Our Founding Fathers were absolutely brilliant and left us with parameters that deal with so many circumstances they could not foresee. Yet, I believe even they did not anticipate a state just simply becoming too annoying to remain in our union. Can't anticipate everything I guess.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I think a letter from the feds signed by Congress and the President would suffice. Sadly, that's not likely to happen any time soon.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links