Turkey Just started invading north Syria today

Turkey Just started invading north Syria today

This is a discussion on Turkey Just started invading north Syria today within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, here we go again! https://www.foxnews.com/world/turkey...litary-assault...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Turkey Just started invading north Syria today

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    609

    Turkey Just started invading north Syria today

    ETXhiker likes this.

  2. #2
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,043
    It seems like "here we go again" to us, but that conflict has been going on since 1978, punctuated by occasional cease-fires and treaties. The Kurds are a multi-religious ethnic minority in Turkey that has long been oppressed and seeks independence to form their own country. The Kurdish language and traditional dress and customs are illegal in Turkey. The Kurds were also brutally oppressed by Saddam Hussein in Iraq. If you remember, Saddam used nerve gas on them.

    The Kurds have moved some of their military capability and people into Syria. When you have to go to Syria to get some independce, you really have to be desperate! There have human rights abuses on both sides, but it seems Turkey is generally the oppressor. The US was backing the Kurds, but it seems we are pulling back from them.

    Personally, I think any war is horrible. I think oppression is horrible. I think atrocities are horrible. But with all that is going on in this country that threatens to turn us into a major conflict area, it is hard to focus on stuff going on that far away.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,291
    I hate it, that the Kurds, who have at least a percentage of Christians among them, are once again getting the short end of the stick. On the other hand, US involvement seems pretty futile so far. Turkey seems to be increasingly belligerent toward America and doesn't much give a rip what NATO thinks. You would think that if Turkey valued its NATO membership at all, it would tap the brakes on this kind of bellicose behavior. it seems that the conflicts in the Middle East that have been going on for thousands of years are a permanent fact of life there. I, for one, feel that America has spent enough blood and treasure on the region, when the rivalries and ethnic conflicts are too complex to ever solve.
    OD*, flh, KILTED COWBOY and 6 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Array 1942bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    1,855
    I think our pull out was a grave mistake. The last time the Turks went after an ethic minority they killed 700,000 Armenians who lived in Turkey. It hose days you subscribed to the Ottoman Empire or you were in serious jeopardy. The Turks took beating in WWI and WWII, and they began to moderate. Then Erdogan came into power and promised to restore the glory and grandeur of the Ottoman Empire. Killing Kurds is just a means to an end.

    In the middle East there are two peoples who are not Arab or Iranian. The Israelis and the Kurds. Until today they were both our strong allies. Now we have cut our alliances in half with one rash decision made for political purposes. We just told existing and potential allies that they are discardable whenever the domestic political agenda can be enhanced by abandoning them.

    The Kurds lost 11,000 in the fight against ISIS. They were the minority that achieved the majority of victories that led to crushing the Caliphate of ISIS. The reward is being thrown to the dogs because one man thinks it is a good idea. I am disgusted and embarrassed by our abandonment of the Kurds.
    Last edited by 1942bull; October 10th, 2019 at 12:19 AM.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

    Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array Wishoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I am disgusted and embarrassed by our abandonment of the Kurds.
    Could not agree more. Well said.
    Nix and scottync like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    609
    So how many more American sons and daughters are worth sacrificing in these wars without end.
    The Israelis at least can fend for themselves in most situations.
    Will the Kurds be able to ever do that?
    Who here is willing to send their kids over there to fight.
    After the past 2 decades of sending our blood and treasure over there with very little to show for it. It is time to come home.
    No one can say we did not try.
    Let the Europeans, Eurasians or whoever send their kids over there to die. After all it is in their backyard.
    America has always been there for the downtrodden of the world.
    Only way in the future we should fight is if there is a full declaration of war. And an all out strategy to win. Total victory in a short period of years not decades
    Havok, OD*, OldChap and 7 others like this.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It seems like "here we go again" to us, but that conflict has been going on since 1978, punctuated by occasional cease-fires and treaties. The Kurds are a multi-religious ethnic minority in Turkey that has long been oppressed and seeks independence to form their own country. The Kurdish language and traditional dress and customs are illegal in Turkey. The Kurds were also brutally oppressed by Saddam Hussein in Iraq. If you remember, Saddam used nerve gas on them.

    The Kurds have moved some of their military capability and people into Syria. When you have to go to Syria to get some independce, you really have to be desperate! There have human rights abuses on both sides, but it seems Turkey is generally the oppressor. The US was backing the Kurds, but it seems we are pulling back from them.

    Personally, I think any war is horrible. I think oppression is horrible. I think atrocities are horrible. But with all that is going on in this country that threatens to turn us into a major conflict area, it is hard to focus on stuff going on that far away.
    This right here^

    All these people who couldn’t point to Syria or Turkey on a map, and have no idea what we are doing over there all of a sudden care so much. Anyone who has a problem here can feel free to purchase a commercial airline ticket and go over there and “support” them.
    OD*, OldChap, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    31,385
    Is there anybody who isn't invading Syria? Seems like the popular place to invade.
    NECCdude, Havok, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,674
    On the one hand we can't be the world's police force. On the other hand, I can't condone the Turks behavior. I guess Turkey being a member of NATO doesn't account for much. Having our military bases in Turkey could be at risk of being expelled if we put pressure on Turkey to withdraw from Syria and stop killing the Kurds. Besides, I get a good laugh at people complaining about us having a military presence in places like Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan when we have military bases in Germany and Japan since WW2 and in Korea since the early 50's. Of course, we're not rich enough to police the entire globe or have forces everywhere. Sorry, I don't have the answers to the worlds problems.
    OD* and ETXhiker like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is there anybody who isn't invading Syria? Seems like the popular place to invade.
    Could it be the food or the women?

  12. #11
    Member Array m5215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    222
    The Turks will never accept the Kurds forming an area for themselves near Turkey let alone the Kurds having their own country in the area. It was just a matter of time before the Turks invaded their area so this does not surprise me at all. US support to the Kurds to fight Turkey will be very limited at best and likely none at all as Turkey is considered our ally (at least for now). It was inevitable that things would go this way for the Kurds and unfortunately it will likely get worse. Unless there is a mandate that comes down from the UN like it did for the creation of Israel, the Kurds will likely never have a country of their own.
    ETXhiker likes this.

  13. #12
    Nix
    Nix is online now
    Senior Member Array Nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Could it be the food or the women?
    Don't know about the women, but I hear the food is drool-worthy.....

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    On the one hand we can't be the world's police force. On the other hand, I can't condone the Turks behavior. I guess Turkey being a member of NATO doesn't account for much. Having our military bases in Turkey could be at risk of being expelled if we put pressure on Turkey to withdraw from Syria and stop killing the Kurds. Besides, I get a good laugh at people complaining about us having a military presence in places like Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan when we have military bases in Germany and Japan since WW2 and in Korea since the early 50's. Of course, we're not rich enough to police the entire globe or have forces everywhere. Sorry, I don't have the answers to the worlds problems.
    There is a huge difference between the bases we have in Germany, Japan, etc. Having military bases around the world is strategic. Service members and their families PCS there and its often by choice, because people request those assignment. Much different from being constantly deployed, away from your family in a war zone that Will always remain that way.

    As far as Turkey and the UN, since when has being a UN member ever stopped a country from doing bad things?
    ETXhiker and matthew03 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  15. #14
    Member Array m5215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    As far as Turkey and the UN, since when has being a UN member ever stopped a country from doing bad things?
    Good point but if the Kurds had an officially recognized country it would be beneficial for them to acquire additional help. How much additional help would be a big question though but I think it could be more than it is now. That's a lot of "ifs" though and all of it is not likely to happen unfortunately.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Good point but if the Kurds had an officially recognized country it would be beneficial for them to acquire additional help. How much additional help would be a big question though but I think it could be more than it is now. That's a lot of "ifs" though and all of it is not likely to happen unfortunately.
    So what is your solution here? Is it our responsibility to go steal land from these other countries so they can form their own?
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •