More homicides with knives than rifles, by far

This is a discussion on More homicides with knives than rifles, by far within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to CNS News, which is admittedly not MSM and conservative, the 2018 homicide data from the FBI shows that more people were murdered with ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 4 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By CavemanBob
  • 3 Post By jmf552
  • 6 Post By G26Raven
  • 5 Post By CavemanBob
  • 3 Post By Rockymonster
  • 1 Post By 1942bull

Thread: More homicides with knives than rifles, by far

According to CNS News, which is admittedly not MSM and conservative, the 2018 homicide data from the FBI shows that more people were murdered with knives (1,515) and “blunt objects” such as hammers (443) than with rifles (297). The numbers also show that fewer people were killed with shotguns (235) than with knives or blunt objects. However, the vast majority of homicides (6,603) were committed with handguns.

Now this probably doesn't surprise anyone here. It does provide new, very recent data point being ignored by liberal politicians and MSM that shows a ban on any class of rifles will not make much difference at all on so-called gun crime. It underscores to me that the whole gun control effort therefore is not about public safety, but about appeasing a media frenzy over mass shootings and/or controlling the citizenry by depriving them of the weapons best suited to fight tyranny.

I have no doubt they have an intention to get rid of handguns eventually, but their focus on semi-auto rifles in the face of such overwhelming evidence is striking. I also think there is a racist element. By far, most homicides are of people of color, committed by other people of color, most likely spread across the different types of weapons used. Yet the legislative focus is on homicides committed with so-called assault rifles against a relatively small number of mostly white victims, which is the norm for mass shootings.

I am NOT minimizing the tragedy of mass shootings. Nor am I advocating for handgun control. Those are different issues. I'm saying the focus on an "assault weapons ban" is misguided. I have also long had a theory that the fact that there are so many CC permits, over 19 million now, with blacks and women being the fastest growing demographic in that group, makes handguns a more thorny issue politically.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...guns-used-most
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Depending upon which side of the fence you're on, the "assault rifle" ban is misguided, or not. From the banners perspective, it's another step toward their goal of disarmament of the citizenry, first the evil, demonized black rifles, then the rest of the semi-autos, followed by those evil sniper rifles (scoped bolt actions), and then the rest.

Numbers mean little when you're making an emotional argument. All this reminds me, Gabby is coming to Aurora tomorrow to help kick off the campaign of a very anti mayoral candidate. Woo hoo, I guess I'll be missing that event...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Depending upon which side of the fence you're on, the "assault rifle" ban is misguided, or not. From the banners perspective, it's another step toward their goal of disarmament of the citizenry, first the evil, demonized black rifles, then the rest of the semi-autos, followed by those evil sniper rifles (scoped bolt actions), and then the rest.

Numbers mean little when you're making an emotional argument. All this reminds me, Gabby is coming to Aurora tomorrow to help kick off the campaign of a very anti mayoral candidate. Woo hoo, I guess I'll be missing that event...
    I've met Gabby and her husband Mark and talked to them face-to-face about gun control. They are very cordial and personable and they will tell you believably they are proud gun owners and support the RTKABA. They are only for "common sense gun control." But when you hear what they propose, it's obvious that is a load of crap.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Statistics don't matter to liberals. It is all about the feelings. And yes, it's pretty clear they want all the guns. It doesn't matter to them what they are. They want them all.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Statistics don't matter to liberals. It is all about the feelings. And yes, it's pretty clear they want all the guns. It doesn't matter to them what they are. They want them all.
    <whiney voice>But if it saves just one life...</whiney voice>

But if defensive gun use saves just one life, doesn't that matter too?
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    Roses are red,
    Carnations are pink,
    The Left wants our guns,
    No matter what you think....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member
    If anyone wants to see a better reproduction of the FBI stats, it is here:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-8.xls
    sdprof likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime