Here we go again,again. Iranian tanker hit by 2 missiles

This is a discussion on Here we go again,again. Iranian tanker hit by 2 missiles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just woke up to this story. I hope our sailors in the 5th fleet have their heads on a swivel. https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-o...missile-attack...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Here we go again,again. Iranian tanker hit by 2 missiles

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

Just woke up to this story.
    I hope our sailors in the 5th fleet have their heads on a swivel.
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-o...missile-attack
    matthew03 and The Old Anglo like this.

I remember an episode of the "Combat!" TV series named "SIW." It's possible that the Iranians created a self-inflicted wound to raise oil prices and to use it as an excuse for more violence.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I also gave that some thought.
    Maybe they thought what was going on in Syria with the Turks right now had us distracted.
    Iran better be careful if they pick a fight with the wrong opponent.
    I know that they have a large military, but it takes more than numbers to win battles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I also gave that some thought.
    Maybe they thought what was going on in Syria with the Turks right now had us distracted.
    Iran better be careful if they pick a fight with the wrong opponent.
    I know that they have a large military, but it takes more than numbers to win battles.
    I donít believe that all the Navyís in the world combined could match the power we are able to project on the high seas around the world.
    The technology and weaponry of these new battle groups is absolutely amazing.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I donít believe that all the Navyís in the world combined could match the power we are able to project on the high seas around the world.
    The technology and weaponry of these new battle groups is absolutely amazing.
    Agree, but i am concerned the the hypersonic technology that Russia and China are developing.
    Those darn things fly so fast they are hard to defend against.
    Could you imagine the loss of life if one hits a super carrier! There are over 6,000 sailors on one of them. And cost about 13 billion dollars to build not including the aircraft.
    History and technology is always affecting our Navy.
    Wooden ships of sail gave way to steam powered ironclads.
    Battleships gave way to Aircraft carriers.
    What will take the place of carrier groups when they become to vulnerable?

Agree, but i am concerned the the hypersonic technology that Russia and China are developing.
    Could you imagine the loss of life if one hits a super carrier! There are over 6,000 sailors on one of them. And cost about 13 billion dollars to build not including the aircraft.
    FWIW, I'm a former Navy officer and aviator who has served in that area of the world for many months. I have no special knowledge of the current situation, but I have a few thoughts.
    • Russia has always over-hyped their weapons systems and I think China is starting to follow suit. Whereas we tend to keep our top stuff quiet. What we typically find out later is that the Russian systems don't work nearly as well as advertised and they make very few of them. Also, they don't tend to give their latest, best stuff away.
    • There is still some mutually assured destruction in effect. Hypersonic missiles can go really fast, but they still launch slow. There will be some warning. If someone launches a hypersonic missile at us, the launch will be detected by satellite. Even if it hits, we will know exactly where it came from. Retaliation can be swift and brutal, and our enemies know that.
    • The media keeps harping on us not having "a defense" to defeat hypersonic missiles and that is true. There is no one countermeasure for them. But ship defense has never been about any one system, one "magic pill" and will never be. It has anywhere from 6-10 layers working together. That is a lot to get through.
    • We have some stuff in the works. The public of course, doesn't know what or how far along it is and any media source that says they do is full of it. Some of the rumors, though, include lasers and kinetic energy weapons.
    Last edited by jmf552; Today at 12:09 PM.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

You Naval Aviators ROCK!
    Much respect.
    OldChap, ETXhiker, jmf552 and 1 others like this.

Something about this incident smells fishy! I'm thinking self inflicted as well to drive their political/financial agenda! Just this old cops' .02 worth!
    OldChap and Havok like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    FWIW, I'm a former Navy officer and aviator who has served in that area of the world for many months. I have no special knowledge of the current situation, but I have a few thoughts.
    • Russia has always over-hyped their weapons systems and I think China is starting to follow suit. Whereas we tend to keep our top stuff quiet. What we typically find out later is that the Russian systems don't work nearly as well as advertised and they make very few of them. Also, they don't tend to give their latest, best stuff away.
    • There is still some mutually assured destruction in effect. Hypersonic missile can go really fast, but they still launch slow. There will be some warning. If someone launches a hypersonic missile at us, the launch will be detected by satellite. Even if it hits, we will know exactly where it came from. Retaliation can be swift and brutal, and our enemies know that.
    • The media keeps harping on us not having "a defense" to defeat hypersonic missiles and that is true. There is no one countermeasure for them. But ship defense has never been about any one system, one "magic pill" and will never be. It has anywhere from 6-10 layers working together. That is a lot to get through.
    • We have some stuff in the works. The public of course, doesn't know what or how far along it is and any media source that says they do is full of it. Some of the rumors, though, include lasers and kinetic energy weapons.
    Yep...I agree. I worked on a couple of projects that bring swift devastation. And that was 1987. I've never seen them mentioned publicly, so I am still bound by the security agreements.
    matthew03, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Poorly View Post
    I remember an episode of the "Combat!" TV series named "SIW." It's possible that the Iranians created a self-inflicted wound to raise oil prices and to use it as an excuse for more violence.
    Yep. I just can't think of anyone else in the area stupid and desperate enough to do this. Time will tell.
    Poorly and 5lima30ret like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Yea, damage seemed to be limited to two storage rooms.
    Not sure if a missile strike can be that precise to cause no major damage or loss of life?
    I am calling BS
    OldVet, ETXhiker and Poorly like this.

• There is still some mutually assured destruction in effect. Hypersonic missile can go really fast, but they still launch slow. There will be some warning. If someone launches a hypersonic missile at us, the launch will be detected by satellite. Even if it hits, we will know exactly where it came from. Retaliation can be swift and brutal, and our enemies know that.
    The military always have things in the backroom the public never hears about, back during the first Gulf War the precision guided weapons they were so happy with was actually 20 year old technology. I was stationed at Eglin from 1970 to 1972 when those weapons were being developed and tested.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    Yep. I just can't think of anyone else in the area stupid and desperate enough to do this. Time will tell.
    If we, or any competent military, hit that ship with two missiles, it would be on the bottom. If it is still floating, this is a stunt.
    ETXhiker, Havok, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Gman had this exact discussion with me about Russian Armor he saw in Gulf 1. They went in hearing how advance the Russian equipment was and utterly slaughtered them, we completely owned the night.

It must suck to have that slick soviet arms dealer hype the equipment, only to realize that was a false claim as your tank burns around you.
    msgt/ret, Havok, OD* and 1 others like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Distinguished Member
    Space-based kinetic weapons with pinpoint accuracy.
    matthew03 likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links