Mega shoot out in Mexico City - Police lose - Page 2

Mega shoot out in Mexico City - Police lose

This is a discussion on Mega shoot out in Mexico City - Police lose within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Nix Same thing happens in Mexico. I think it's a mistake to view all cartel/gang members as inept amateurs. Some of these ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Mega shoot out in Mexico City - Police lose

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Same thing happens in Mexico. I think it's a mistake to view all cartel/gang members as inept amateurs. Some of these guys have a depth of experience.

In this situation, bad guys were motivated, corrupt government forces didn't have any skin in the game.
    Some are ex military who joined the Cartels to make more money.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Some are ex military who joined the Cartels to make more money.
    Also known as a mercenary.
    The Old Anglo and dripster like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Wasn't Mexico City it was a city in Mexico, Culican to be precise. About 800 miles from Mexico City and 800k or so population.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Just a word to the wise IF you happen to travel to the interior of Mexico. Be very wary of ANY Mexican state police. The federales are untrustworthy enough all by themselves, but the vast majority of state police are themselves part of the cartels.

Remember this when you're riding in a tour or resort bus and you have to stop for a police checkpoint. Those guys in body armor carrying automatic weapons that board the bus and walk through seat by seat, eyeing each passenger are not hunting for criminals!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Wasn't Mexico City it was a city in Mexico, Culican to be precise. About 800 miles from Mexico City and 800k or so population.
    https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/10/17/...red-in-mexico/

CULIACAN, Mexico — Mexican security forces engaged in a prolonged shootout with heavily armed suspected cartel members in Sinaloa state Thursday, in an operation that ensnared a son of imprisoned drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.
    gatorbait51, M1911A1 and MMinSC like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Just a word to the wise IF you happen to travel to the interior of Mexico. Be very wary of ANY Mexican state police. The federales are untrustworthy enough all by themselves, but the vast majority of state police are themselves part of the cartels.

Remember this when you're riding in a tour or resort bus and you have to stop for a police checkpoint. Those guys in body armor carrying automatic weapons that board the bus and walk through seat by seat, eyeing each passenger are not hunting for criminals!

A buddy was trying to talk me into a motorcycle trip through Mexico.

Me: "Uh.....Canada seems nice."

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    A buddy was trying to talk me into a motorcycle trip through Mexico.

Me: "Uh.....Canada seems nice."
    Actually, on a world member bike site, trips through Mexico are being taken year round by members from nearly every country, there's little to no reporting of it being dagerous to travel through. The caveat being, like here in the US, don't go into certain cities, jurisdictions that are being run by cartels.

I missed the opportunity to go to the Rocky Point rally this year [ it's coming up next month ], but I'll be there next year for the rally now that I know about it. It garners thousands from the US every year.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you see the video the cart brought in more gun men with very very heavy firepower think LAWS m249 50CALS etc and armored vehichal ..I am guessing the local milita had m4 or such ..Not ext squared up
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The basics are:
    • A unit of the Mexican National Guard approaches a house in Mexico City.
    To be accurate, this didn't happen in Mexico City. It happened in the capitol of the Sinoala province.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

@AzQkr Brother the problem is that no place in Mexico is ever dangerous...until someone in the State Department wakes up and hears about violence against Americans.

We used to visit Cancun a lot. Always listed as not dangerous. Then almost instantly the State Department came out with a warning against travel there. The problem is that most of the resorts in such places are run by big European money outfits and they force the Mexican government to suppress the reports that would be harmful to their profits.

My daughter went to Cancun this past summer and was surprised - the place was nearly deserted. They upgraded her to a luxury suite that would have cost her an additional $1500 for her stay. When she got back, she said, "Never again, dad. The place almost felt spooky, it was so empty and I heard sirens running up and down the highway outside the resort. No armed guards anywhere in sight." She laughed at the reports before she went. When she got back, no more trips to Mexico.

Just be careful, Brother. Check the State Department before you go.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @AzQkr Brother the problem is that no place in Mexico is ever dangerous...until someone in the State Department wakes up and hears about violence against Americans.

We used to visit Cancun a lot. Always listed as not dangerous. Then almost instantly the State Department came out with a warning against travel there. The problem is that most of the resorts in such places are run by big European money outfits and they force the Mexican government to suppress the reports that would be harmful to their profits.

My daughter went to Cancun this past summer and was surprised - the place was nearly deserted. They upgraded her to a luxury suite that would have cost her an additional $1500 for her stay. When she got back, she said, "Never again, dad. The place almost felt spooky, it was so empty and I heard sirens running up and down the highway outside the resort. No armed guards anywhere in sight." She laughed at the reports before she went. When she got back, no more trips to Mexico.

Just be careful, Brother. Check the State Department before you go.
    Anytime you're out of the US, one has to keep their head on swivel like you're in Baltimore; Detroit, etc. inner cities.

Here's some real world observations and reports from riders traveling through Mexico. I watch these types of threads constantly for updates on current conditions all over mexico. As the thread has been running since 2010, hit the last post first, and run it backwards. The most current is the present situation being discussed here. The threat stay current as riders report back their experiences.

Rider pass through Mexico all the time and their reports hold current weight on where problem spots may be avoided in current time from members actually there.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/is-mexico-safe.546927/
    gatorbait51 and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Mexico city is 572 square miles, and has 21 million people living within it's borders. NYC is 302 square miles and 8.63 million people.

It's obvious that with some organization and a lot of guns, governments are not as invincible as they think they are.

That's not obvious to me. What's obvious in this example is Mexico decided the cartels actions against civilians in retaliation for capturing a cartel figure wasn't worth more civilian or military deaths.

What's obvious to me is that Mexican drug wars present a national security risk for the US.

Maybe Uncle Donald could funnel some of our defunct Northeast Syrian resources into Mexico. Hey, at least it's honest, unlike Fast and Furious.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Senior Moderator
    Mexico has been corrupt since the first elections. Personally I’ve visited numerous times since 1959. Sadly, never more, never again.

Graft has always been commonplace, and the cartel money has only added to the problems.

It is a failed state, for all practical purposes.

They had so much to lose, and never knew it: Democracy in Mexico

The political system sucked before the drugs and cartels, now it is abysmal.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I see the point..and I HEAR what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree...some local rabble then got organized and made the kings men surrender? I think I have heard of this somewhere before fellows...sometimes, it's the good guys...and then again, that can all be perspective.

Mega shoot out in Mexico City - Police lose-bataille_yorktown.jpg
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    It's a hell hole, I'm on the border with Mexico and believe me its worse then gets reported. The cops are under paid and when the cartel tells them "Plomo O Plata" silver or lead?? And they are including their family in the "offer" it's hard to say no. There's a YouTube video of the Culican shootout and the cops are on wireless talking with the cartel asking for calm but things fall apart and the cartel call out one LEO in particular by name they tell him his home address and say let our guys go or his family gets it. This is followed by telling the cops that all their families will pay they price if they dont comply. It will get way worse before it gets any better. I got all kinds of cartel stories from folks living with this madness and it's crazy to think this is happening 20 minutes from my house.
    Mike1956, 10thmtn and Big Western like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links