Recognizing Police Legitimacy - Page 3

Recognizing Police Legitimacy

This is a discussion on Recognizing Police Legitimacy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; But, if it is true that people are more likely to obey the police when they believe that police have the legitimate authority to tell ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Recognizing Police Legitimacy

But, if it is true that people are more likely to obey the police when they believe that police have the legitimate authority to tell them what to do, then it is up to our schools, media, politicians, families, and police leaders to end the debate. The legitimacy of the police is not in question; the courts have already given us reason to believe.
    No. It is pubic perception of the police, then it is the responsibility of the police to convince the public otherwise. Don't put that on us. I will concede that the media has a responsibility to accurately report police actions and not sensationalize incidents with specific ethnic groups.

The police responsibility for public perception begins before the stop. They should do a better job patting themselves on the back for public support roles, and the media needs to do a better job reporting these public support roles. Cops do lots of amazing things to help people every day. We need to hear more about that. More officers need to set out with the intention of seeking a high positive to negative interaction ratio on every shift. Perception becomes reality.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Back in the days when I was a puppy policeman (47 years ago now) we were trained a little differently. We were taught that we were public servants, citizens selected to represent the community and handle the business of law enforcement so that other citizens (our employers) could go about their daily lives peaceably. We were never allowed to view ourselves as above the general public or superior in any way, certainly not the arbiters of right and wrong. "Firm, fair, and friendly" were the bywords we were taught to live by.

Since that time there has been a movement toward viewing law enforcement as a profession, citizens have been generally discouraged from involving themselves in any way, and the cops seem to have developed the old "thin blue line" theory into an "us against them" mentality. Common courtesy from police officers has become perfunctory at best, and suspicion/hostility/contempt have replaced "firm, fair, and friendly" as the general practice. The young cops I deal with from time to time are distant, unhelpful, borderline rude, and generally project an attitude of indifference.

I retired from law enforcement after 24 years, including 6-1/2 years as a small town chief. I trained, hired, supervised, and fired dozens of young officers over the years. I am not anti-cop, but I seriously long for the old days when the cops genuinely tried to be a part of the community rather than the overlords or rulers of society. The trend toward professionalism has produced little more than an arrogant clique with little or no concept of the fact that every bit of authority they might have is what we, the people, have chosen to delegate to them.

I could go on for pages, but I think I'll shut down this rant for now.

- agreed
    - and the change in culture was no 'accident'
    - the bar was lowered, they were 'militarized', humiliated before every shift at roll-call and of course given the quota
    - 'us versus them' is the new way
    - back in the day a uniformed cop would be right next to you in the barbershop chatting it up, or hanging out with you at the bar off duty, they were APART of things

- thankfully the Sheriff's deputies out here (in my area) are excellent and still have that old way about them
    - they act professionally

- there arent even police departments out here
    - the sheriff is elected so they tend to have more of a connection with the community that is also shared with the deputies.. at least here it keeps that 'courteous' culture alive..

- CHP is pretty good too. Me and the fam were in the van one night on a highway stuck behind an accident/standstill and pulled on the shoulder because we were almost out of gas... a CHP comes creeping up behind us... thought I might get grief.... instead, "are you guys ok? you're almost at the gast station..." and "I'll be back later to check on you to make sure you're OK"

- that's the way it should be done...
    - keep hope alive there are some professional departments still out there... truly..

- one time I got pulled over by deputies toting around my drunk friends from the bar in town.. deputy, "have you been drinking tonight?" me, "no"... deputy, "why not?!" me, LOLOLOL

gatorbait51 and M1911A1 like this.

I actually think most local and state R&F officers are more accountable than ever (there are cameras and mics everywhere), despite the disinformation campaign against them started by obama and the dems back in 2008. That's about when the anti-police sentiment was normalized by the Left via their propaganda division known as the media.

But we have strong reason to be concerned about top leadership, especially in blue states and at the federal level- think stand down orders regarding the former, and coverups of soft coups against Trump with the latter. Political correctness has been weaponized at the top of many LE agencies.

We should all be concerned about gender quotas and the reduced standards used to push many through LE and Fire academies.

There are plenty of great cops doing what is often a thankless job dealing with people at their worst. Overall, the system makes a decent effort to weed out officers with the wrong personality traits for the job- those officers almost never make it to retirement, instead they are terminated, forced to resign, or just kept on part time status and used for things like traffic control.
    gatorbait51 and likembikem like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Excellent post Big Western, I agree. On a separate note, travelling to school in Louisville, Ky. back in '77 I was getting tickets all the time. 57 in a 55, not stopping completely at a stop sign etc. My dad suggested I remove my confederate front licence plate. I couldn't understand how that would do anything, hell I didn't know. Well it did, the tickets stopped.
    Big Western likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links