Marine Corps Announces It Was Wrong -- Again -- on Iwo Jima Flag-Raising Photo

This is a discussion on Marine Corps Announces It Was Wrong -- Again -- on Iwo Jima Flag-Raising Photo within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another man, Pfc. Harold Schultz -- who'd never been publicly linked to the image -- was there instead. https://www.military.com/daily-news/...navy_191022.nl...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By SatCong
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 5 Post By AzQkr
  • 2 Post By rainmaker
  • 1 Post By KevinRohrer

Thread: Marine Corps Announces It Was Wrong -- Again -- on Iwo Jima Flag-Raising Photo

Another man, Pfc. Harold Schultz -- who'd never been publicly linked to the image -- was there instead.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...navy_191022.nl
    Texas Red likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I read a book over fifty years ago that said the flag raising was reenacted for pictures. There could have been different people in the pictures.
    flh and dangerranger like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Yes read the story. Saw I think it was his daughter being interviewed on TV.
    He never mentioned his participation to his family.
    She said he was a very humble man and probably did not want to take the credit away from the other Marine and his family.
    This is why men like him are considered "The Greatest Generation".
    It was not all about themselves, but about their country and their brothers.
    Though I still believe we have men like this in today's military.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I read a book over fifty years ago that said the flag raising was reenacted for pictures. There could have been different people in the pictures.
    There were definitely different people in the two different photos. I know that because during my time as a combat photographer we were all ware of the history of the photography about the Corps. The second photo was taken after the first to use a larger flag was sent up from the beachhead.

Identifying some of those who raised the flag was done by facial recognition when possible, and when faces were not visible by the reports of people who were there. The face of theperson misidentified cannot be seen at all in the photo. Four of the seven who raised the flag were killed over the next few days after the flag was raised.

Regardless of the errors the photo is one of the most published photographs in history. It is emblazoned in ever Marines mind.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Yup, the men who actually raised the first flag were the true flag raisers upon taking mountain. This second and most famous scene was a reenactment of the flag raising with a much larger flag so it could be seen from the beaches/ships.

There is a photo of the first flag raised at Iwo. That photo was not of the actual raising, but right afterwards. A couple-three Marines holding the flagpole while others secured it, and other Marines facing outwards rifles at the ready. Maybe not as dramatic as the more famous photo, but pretty intense.
    rotorhead1026 and G26Raven like this.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Yup, the men who actually raised the first flag were the true flag raisers upon taking mountain. This second and most famous scene was a reenactment of the flag raising with a much larger flag so it could be seen from the beaches/ships.

Not so much a reenactment as a second flag raising. I point this out because a lot of people thought Rosenthal's picture was staged. No one on the island saw the photo, of course, and few remembered who was who during the flag raising. The picture was celebrated at home, but Rosenthal never saw it until weeks later. Somebody asked him if the photo - which he had yet to see - was staged. The man could barely remember the event, and thought the questioner was talking about the posed photo (mentioned above). Rosenthal said yes, which led to some controversy. A USMC photog, Bill Genaust, took video of the event and this removed all doubt. A total of three Marines were misidentified, including most recently Mr. Harold Keller of Iowa.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    Not so much a reenactment as a second flag raising. I point this out because a lot of people thought Rosenthal's picture was staged. No one on the island saw the photo, of course, and few remembered who was who during the flag raising. The picture was celebrated at home, but Rosenthal never saw it until weeks later. Somebody asked him if the photo - which he had yet to see - was staged. The man could barely remember the event, and thought the questioner was talking about the posed photo (mentioned above). Rosenthal said yes, which led to some controversy. A USMC photog, Bill Genaust, took video of the event and this removed all doubt. A total of three Marines were misidentified, including most recently Mr. Harold Keller of Iowa.
    There were more photographers there than just Rosenthal, using both still and movie cameras. Rosenthal got the Pulitzer as his photo got sent out and published first. Trivia: His photo is THE most reproduced photo in history.

I had occasion to talk to another photographer who was there and took his own photos of the later flag raising (which he showed me), and that was the story he told me. You can see the video camera footage of the second raising in some war movies, one of which is John Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima (I believe). As for trivia about that movie: The flag that was handed from one Marine to another in one scene is THE flag, which was loaned to them for filming.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    There was a movie about that. Yes, it seems, according to the movie, it was a different mix of men from the original flag raising, a few who did it the first time, and again for a staged picture as the first pic was ruined or something. Doesnt' change the meaning.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Sponsored Links