The Army's New Rifle - Page 2

The Army's New Rifle

This is a discussion on The Army's New Rifle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MMinSC So this will not be the 6.8 SPC then? What is different about this new 6.8? I believe it will have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Army's New Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    So this will not be the 6.8 SPC then? What is different about this new 6.8?
    I believe it will have polymer-cased rounds. That will be the end of once-fired Lake City brass for sale.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have no idea how good it is, but that top one looks like it could be used in a pinch as a toilet plunger!
    lionround and Texas Red like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    Thanks for posting this JMF, I always find this stuff stimulating. I don't think the Army will go with the bullpup 40 watt phased plasma rifle at top of page.

All three of those designs are almost certainly piston/pushrod, and not direct gas impingement. Bullets in the 6.5 to 7mm range offer some of the highest BCs and Sectional Densities, so the 6.8mm makes sense. Will they name it the 6.8 Killmoor?

ETA Update: It looks like this linked article is just reporting what happened at the end of August as reported by SSD and TFB- nothing new has actually been announced.
    http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/30/us-army-selects-three-companies-to-vie-for-next-generation-squad-weapons-to-replace-m249-and-m4/
    I think the update of the article I linked was it had pictures of both variants of all three offerings, which I hadn't seen before, certainly not on this forum.
    OldChap, MMinSC and Big Western like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sig will win based on visual cues alone- their entry has "the look". This is similar to the F35 competition, where the Lockheed entry looked like a proper modern fighter and the Boeing entry looked like a pregnant guppy.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I believe it will have polymer-cased rounds. That will be the end of once-fired Lake City brass for sale.
    Bummer about the end of the Lake City surplus brass. That's how I built my stockpile.

Is there any advantage to polymer cases other than weight and I suppose cost?
    Big Western likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Bummer about the end of the Lake City surplus brass. That's how I built my stockpile.

Anywhere from 35% to 60% reduction in weight, depending on the design. Some designs are partial brass, like shotgun shells, for more dependable extraction. Some have brass necks, to better handle heat at the barrel throat. Cost is a factor also. Another is consistency. Polymer can be made to closer tolerances and it doesn't lengthen under pressure, so tighter headspace tolerances can be used, which I've read (I am not an expert in this) can theoretically improve accuracy. Also, polymer does not transfer heat to the chamber like brass does, so theoretically, chambers will last longer.

I don't know how much of that is true and how much is contractor marketing hype, but that's what "they" say. The weight reduction seems to be the big thing and the most solid claim.
    MMinSC and DownInTheDark like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Yes, it cuts off a source of empty cases, much to the delight of the antis.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, it cuts off a source of empty cases, much to the delight of the antis.
    Just wait for the pictures of those polymer cases stuck in the throat of a seabird. The enviro-loons will go nuts about all those plastic cases that will be around forever. Strange really, the Army was making a big deal about going to more eco-friendly projectiles and then go with a plastic case?
    OldVet likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    My comments:

1. The first one looks Butt-Ugly and fragile.
    2. The second one looks ungainly and cumbersome.
    3. The third one looks better.
    4. Any gun that can be switched from mag to belt-fed will probably not do a real good job in either configuration as opposed to one that is dedicated for one mission instead of two.
    5. The caliber is a definite step-up; I just hope it is enough to "reach out there".
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links