The Army's New Rifle

The Army's New Rifle

This is a discussion on The Army's New Rifle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Army has just down-selected designs from General Dynamics, Textron and Sig for their new NGSW (Next Generation Squad Weapon), which will have both carbine ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Army's New Rifle

The Army's New Rifle

The Army has just down-selected designs from General Dynamics, Textron and Sig for their new NGSW (Next Generation Squad Weapon), which will have both carbine and belt-fed versions and replace both the M249 and the M4. It will be called the M5 and it will be in 6.8mm. The three finalists are shown below, GD, Textron and Sig.
    The Army's New Rifle-rifle-1.jpg
    Name:  Rifle 2.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  24.9 KB
    The Army's New Rifle-rifle-3.jpg

https://taskandpurpose.com/army-next...-weapon-photos
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Down-selected?
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Distinguished Member
    I will be shocked if Sig is not awarded the contract.
    simple_man17 and Cuda66 like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Too bad I can't buy one.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Good grief.

That Textron offering looks like it’s pregnant with a PDW...

My money is on Sig, as well...the GD rifle looks solid, but Big Green isn’t gonna go with a Bullpup.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The middle one looks like it has a 40mm launcher that would fire straight into the bipod.
    MMinSC and hogdaddy like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The middle one looks like it has a 40mm launcher that would fire straight into the bipod.
    Nah, it shoots right between the bipod legs.

Seriously though, it looks unwieldy to replace the M4
    Havok and Nix like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Down-selected?
    It is a phase of the DoD procurement process. First, an RFP (request for proposal) is issued that outlines the whole procurement process and calendar, the specs, who can submit, what needs to be included in the proposal, etc. There may be some intermediate steps, like bidder's conferences, etc., but at some point, DoD will look at all the proposals and "down-select" a number of proposals, often three, to go through a final selection process. In this case, I imagine the three companies will have to submit a number of actual weapons for testing. Then the final selection is made.
    Hoganbeg and Rock and Glock like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

OK, thanks. I hadn't heard that one but when it comes to "governmentese" you just never know.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Please do not select a bullpup design. They do not lend themselves to quick reloads and under stress in combat that's the last thing one wants...
    Big Western likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Unless they’ll have lefty versions, the first one won’t work. Brass will be right in the face of southpaws in that bull pup design. I don’t see the one size fits all army going this route.
    MMinSC likes this.

So this will not be the 6.8 SPC then? What is different about this new 6.8?

Looking at all three rifles again, looks to me like Sig would win. It is the only normal looking one. I like how GD is saving taxpayer money with the oil filter suppressor but do not see a bullpup winning. The one in the middle just seems so bulky and that leaves the Sig. Nothing special jumps out at me for the Sig, but it looks like a normal rifle that would be handy.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    oil filter suppressor
    Yep, a purolator and a “solvent trap” are all you really need. Can outfit a whole platoon for the cost of one real suppressor.
    MMinSC likes this.

Thanks for posting this JMF, I always find this stuff stimulating. I don't think the Army will go with the bullpup 40 watt phased plasma rifle at top of page.

All three of those designs are almost certainly piston/pushrod, and not direct gas impingement. Bullets in the 6.5 to 7mm range offer some of the highest BCs and Sectional Densities, so the 6.8mm makes sense. Will they name it the 6.8 Killmoor?

ETA Update: It looks like this linked article is just reporting what happened at the end of August as reported by SSD and TFB- nothing new has actually been announced.
    http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/30/us-army-selects-three-companies-to-vie-for-next-generation-squad-weapons-to-replace-m249-and-m4/

The Army's New Rifle

Ugly little spud.

Bet it's gonna be a good shooter, though. That 6.8 round is interesting and no doubt works better than the 5.56 downrange.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links