USS Gerald R Ford conducting high speed turns during sea trials - Page 2

USS Gerald R Ford conducting high speed turns during sea trials

This is a discussion on USS Gerald R Ford conducting high speed turns during sea trials within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Doesn't that class have the electro-magnetic aircraft launchers?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: USS Gerald R Ford conducting high speed turns during sea trials

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Doesn't that class have the electro-magnetic aircraft launchers?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Doesn't that class have the electro-magnetic aircraft launchers?
    Yeah. They won't be as much fun. That steam catapult "kick in the ass" was a blast!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

They sure came along way sense the USS SARATOGA CVA-60
    airslot likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'd run like hell to if I were being chased by a squad of destroyers.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Administrator
    Now...That's a boat!!!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Aircraft carrier has an amazing amount of fire power on the flight deck and hanger bay. They are impressive and amazing how they manage that floating city/airport. The Sara had something just over 5,000 airwing and other crew members onboard.
    Think of how big a task just feeding them was. I maybe off on this but at any given time she had 250,000 ton of missiles bombs ect to deliver. The new ones I am sure have a lot more.
    As for the CAT Some of you will remember the COD C1A. I had the pleasure of being launched off the CAT a few times in them. I was a passenger .Yes it is an experience.
    Last edited by Smitty901; November 4th, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

@Smitty901 : It's been called the most complicated and intense industrial environment ever created. This is why I'm skeptical of the threat posed by other countries developing carriers now. Everyone focuses on the technology, but it is the training and experience that makes the carrier run. Yes, other countries may have some comparable technologies, but the US has this deep experience in carrier operations. They have a cadre' of experts, and a way of training up newbies that is decades old and would be very hard to duplicate.

I remember during Vietnam, when they brought battleships out of mothballs. A friend of our family had been a chief on a battleship in WWII. They offered him a bunch of money to come back into uniform, like 15-20 years later, to help get a ship running effectively. We had plenty of competent sailors and officers, but they didn't know battleships. With a carrier, you can take that need for experience times 10. Just having technology and hardware is only half the game.
    KILTED COWBOY and ETXhiker like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    @Smitty901 : It's been called the most complicated and intense industrial environment ever created. This is why I'm skeptical of the threat posed by other countries developing carriers now. Everyone focuses on the technology, but it is the training and experience that makes the carrier run. Yes, other countries may have some comparable technologies, but the US has this deep experience in carrier operations. They have a cadre' of experts, and a way of training up newbies that is decades old and would be very hard to duplicate.

I remember during Vietnam, when they brought battleships out of mothballs. A friend of our family had been a chief on a battleship in WWII. They offered him a bunch of money to come back into uniform, like 15-20 years later, to help get a ship running effectively. We had plenty of competent sailors and officers, but they didn't know battleships. With a carrier, you can take that need for experience times 10. Just having technology and hardware is only half the game.
    You just reminded me of a sci-fi movie called Battleship I recently watched.
    Was an inane movie but fun.
    At the end They needed to attack the aliens and the only thing left was the USS Missouri.
    None of the sailors knew how to run the ship so they used the old WW2 vets who were volunteering at the Mighty Mo to fire her up and get her into battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links