4 November 1979 40 years ago the Iran hostage crisis started.

This is a discussion on 4 November 1979 40 years ago the Iran hostage crisis started. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I remember it well, 14 of us (2 full crews) were called and told we were on alert and not to leave the barracks except ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret

Thread: 4 November 1979 40 years ago the Iran hostage crisis started.

I remember it well, 14 of us (2 full crews) were called and told we were on alert and not to leave the barracks except to go to the chow hall or squadron and only after getting permission. Two C-5s were placed on alert and loaded with the airbus configuration (270 PAX seats in the cargo compartment), we pre-flighted both aircraft so all we needed to do was get in the seats and run the starting engines checklist for an immediate departure then sealed the airplane. Dover did the same thing and we both kept crews on alert until the crisis ended.

Iran Hostage Crisis

On November 4, 1979, a group of Iranian students stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, taking more than 60 American hostages. The immediate cause of this action was President Jimmy Carterís decision to allow Iranís deposed Shah, a pro-Western autocrat who had been expelled from his country some months before, to come to the United States for cancer treatment. However, the hostage-taking was about more than the Shahís medical care: it was a dramatic way for the student revolutionaries to declare a break with Iranís past and an end to American interference in its affairs. It was also a way to raise the intra- and international profile of the revolutionís leader, the anti-American cleric Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. The students set their hostages free on January 21, 1981, 444 days after the crisis began and just hours after President Ronald Reagan delivered his inaugural address. Many historians believe that hostage crisis cost Jimmy Carter a second term as president.
    The Iran Hostage Crisis: The Shah and the C.I.A.
    https://www.history.com/topics/middl...hostage-crisis
    5lima30ret, scottync and airslot like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

One of the pilots I flew with was on Operation Eagle Claw (which was the rescue attempt) unfortunately he was killed on a mission that I was involved in about 5 years later. The book Delta Force by Col. Charles Beckwith is a great book, which details quite a bit surrounding that operation during that time frame.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sponsored Links