Trump offers military assistance to Mexico on war against cartels

This is a discussion on Trump offers military assistance to Mexico on war against cartels within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure I agree with this. I find it similar to us going into Syria to stop ISIS. We need to fight them here in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Trump offers military assistance to Mexico on war against cartels

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

Not sure I agree with this.
    I find it similar to us going into Syria to stop ISIS.
    We need to fight them here in our country first.
    Anyone who is doing illegal drugs is supporting terrorism.
    That money goes towards killing and terrorizing innocent people.
    Selling and doing drugs is NOT a non violent crime.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ed-in-shootout

We have done counter drug operations in and south of Mexico for decades, and itís been a failure. This story sounds strange to me. I wonder if POTUS is trying to get ahead of something that is about to make the news down there.
    OldChap, Sister and viney266 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    We have done counter drug operations in and south of Mexico for decades, and itís been a failure. This story sounds strange to me. I wonder if POTUS is trying to get ahead of something that is about to make the news down there.
    Drugs come from plants, by and large. We had a very effective thing in Vietnam to deal with plants and vegetation - Agent Orange.

The real failing of so-called "counter drug" operations has always been that it is run by lawyers who think the way to stop prostitution is to arrest the johns. We put the user in jail, rather than the grower in the ground. Just MHO.
    OD*, ETXhiker, OlCop and 4 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    We train DEA agents at Ranger School and conduct joint alphabet agencies-military operations in many countries south of the border.
    Last edited by ColoradoDiablo; November 5th, 2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: changed join to joint
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Give the guys and Ladies who fly the RPAs more live fire Training.... Nape, JDAMs , and other "Interesting" armament could be utilized without boots on the ground....

Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I "knew a guy" who was there in 85-86 with the Peace Corps...Nothing I see has changed since then...No matter who you take out or support at the top, it stays the same
    Havok likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Drugs come from plants, by and large. We had a very effective thing in Vietnam to deal with plants and vegetation - Agent Orange.

The real failing of so-called "counter drug" operations has always been that it is run by lawyers who think the way to stop prostitution is to arrest the johns. We put the user in jail, rather than the grower in the ground. Just MHO.
    We pretend to go after the traffickers as well, but itís really just a feel good measure. All we have really done is spent a lot of money to make it worse.
    OldChap and M1911A1 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

What were the Mormon's doing living in a compound in Mexico for decades?
    I did not understand that part of the story.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    What were the Mormon's doing living in a compound in Mexico for decades?
    I did not understand that part of the story.
    As I understood it from my time down there along the Rio Grande, there are several settlements of Mormons, some dating back well over 100 years. They originally fled America so they could openly practice polygamy without fear of prosecution. They have managed to fit in pretty well with the local Mexican population, except for during the Mexican Revolution.

Again, as I understand it, the children (descendants of the original colonists) are not Mexican citizens to this day. Mexico has dramatically different immigration laws than we do. Wikipedia has a fairly good page(s) on them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_colonies_in_Mexico
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

This whole situation is sad, and scary. Iím hoping it helps get the wall built but not holding my breath. Not sure what all Trump can do, like in the Middle East the bad people hide behind the women and children. I vote to send snipers and kill ALL of those that need killing however...itís not our country!

Maybe if we stop letting everyone in then they will be made to stay and fight.

WHY IS MEXICOS PROBLEM OUR PROBLEM?! I know why, but geez letís build the wall and allow Mexico to handle it. Heartbreaking for the kids. Sad for the adults however, they were pretty stupid IMO to even be raising children there therefor put the kids in the way of danger.
    M1911A1 and OldChap like this.
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Sorry, but I did not see anything in the article that stated he was offering our military. What I did see was:

The Mexican government must partner with U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies to wage a full-scale offensive against these butchers,Ē he said

He did offer FBI assistance in investigating those murders
    M1911A1, airslot and Havok like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Sorry, but I did not see anything in the article that stated he was offering our military. What I did see was:

The Mexican government must partner with U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies to wage a full-scale offensive against these butchers,Ē he said

He did offer FBI assistance in investigating those murders
    I assumed by his quote he was offering military assistance as I am sure we already offer DEA intelligence help.
    "If Mexico needs or requests help in cleaning out these monsters, the United States stands ready, willing and able to get involved and do the job quickly and effectively"
    "Sometimes you need an army to defeat an army"
    Sounds to me like Trump speak for maybe sending some special forces down there.
    But, as always I may be wrong.
    OldChap and OD* like this.

Those that sell needs those who buy.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Nothing will be done Mexico wont accept true military aid and we wont engage in military operations in our 2nd biggest trading partners yard without permission.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Nothing will be done Mexico wont accept true military aid and we wont engage in military operations in our 2nd biggest trading partners yard without permission.
    In Mexico (as well as much of Latin America) corruption is endemic, from the lowest clerk in a government office to the highest elected offices in the country. Nothing happens without money changing hands. This has been the case since the earliest days of Spanish colonial rule and remains the case today.

The criminal cartels in Mexico (organized crime gangs, make no mistake about that) are constantly fighting each other for primacy within their spheres of influence and to expand their territories. Much of what is done is accomplished with the knowledge and cooperation of local, regional, and national officials on the payroll of the cartels.

Newspaper reporter or editor decides to take on the gangs? Prosecutor decides to target gangsters? Judge has the audacity to convict and sentence cartel members? Local cop steps up to arrest a gang member? These things happen from time to time, but the overwhelming majority of such incidents result in wholesale slaughter of those officials and all of their family members.

A gang wants to run a smuggling operation in a particular area, one of the first steps is gathering information on all of the cops, prosecutors, judges, and other officials in that area. Then a few visits are made to those folks, maybe sharing photos of their families and homes, an offer of payments in exchange for looking the other way is made with the clear understanding that the only possible alternative is total destruction of everyone and everything each official holds near and dear.

A local cop might earn a salary equivalent to $450 per month (US). Cop receives a message that he can have $1000 per month to look the other way, or his wife, children, parents, siblings, and extended family will be butchered in front of him before he is tortured to death personally.

Mexico has always had unemployment in the 40% range, and the current national minimum wage is about $5 per day (US, or about 100 Mexican pesos per day). Well educated Mexican citizens working in professional and managerial positions frequently earn less than $800 US per month (about 16,000 pesos), and frequently hold second jobs or small business ventures to support their families. Human beings are bought and sold for less than some of us would expect to pay for a month's rent. There is no trust in any government agency or official because everyone understands that corruption is the norm, not the exception.

About 42% of Mexico's gross national product consists of "remittances", funds sent home by Mexican citizens living and working in the US.

Any attempt to apply our common experiences or understanding to the realities of life in Mexico is useless and flawed from the start. Being accepted as a runner, or a drug courier, or an informer, or a member of the cartels is a goal to many of those people stuck living in a third world hellhole on the southern border of the United States.

Rant over for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links