Requirements to be a police officer - Page 2

Requirements to be a police officer

This is a discussion on Requirements to be a police officer within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retired badge 1 Interesting. The OP starts a thread with a premise, followed by multiple responses that generally chew that premise to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Requirements to be a police officer

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Interesting. The OP starts a thread with a premise, followed by multiple responses that generally chew that premise to little pieces of nonsense, then the OP chooses to respond in a bit of a lecturing manner.

Keep watching TV dramas and cop movies. Don't trouble yourself with a career in a field that you already know more about than those who have been there and done that.
    That wasn't very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
    That wasn't very nice.
    The world is not always a very nice place. Occasionally a bit of reality therapy is a good thing.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Why do people become police officers?? Cant be the pay or the hours.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Back in my early days walking a beat the old timer who was breaking me in told me, "Kid, if you need a lot of love you should join the fire department".

He was right.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I got into law enforcement so I wouldn't be shamed eating donuts. By the way we call them crime fighting biscuits.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Back in my early days walking a beat the old timer who was breaking me in told me, "Kid, if you need a lot of love you should join the fire department".

He was right.
    Lol got an uncle who is a fire chief in Austin always says “everyone loves when we pull up to their place......it’s usually on fire”.
    Nobody wants to see the police parked in front of their place.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Lol got an uncle who is a fire chief in Austin always says “everyone loves when we pull up to their place......it’s usually on fire”.
    Nobody wants to see the police parked in front of their place.
    The last thing you want to see, if you're a firefighter based in a station where yummy donuts are delivered often by an appreciative community, is a bunch of police cars parked out front.

Comparable to Pharaoh watching a mighty swarm of locusts devouring everything in their path!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

When it comes to the requirements to be a police officer, this might sound obvious but I would think it would depend on exactly what kind of police officer you want to be as there are many different types of police officers. For instance, a regular patrol officer does not have the same kind of requirements as, say, a homicide detective or a vice officer.

Being a detective in my opinion is one of the more fun and fascinating jobs in law enforcement although I would conclude that its more demanding than being a standard patrol officer. To be a detective you've got to be really smart so I would say it would be best to be a graduate from an ivy league college if you want to do that. At least from what I see in the movies and television detectives do carry sidearms concealed but they do not have a whole entire tool belt of weapons that includes not only a sidearm but also pepper spray, billy clubs, tasers, and so forth.

Also, while Im quite sure a detective gets a higher salary than a standard patrol officer, I would still want to be independently wealthy if I am going to take on such a job.
    LOL. You have a lot to learn on what it takes to be LE.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    That wasn't very nice.
    His response was direct and to the point, and I think rather "on point" as well.

You started this thread with a series of statements, based upon your assumptions. Now, we ALL make assumptions, everyday, every single one of us. The rub comes in when we have to test our assumptions up against reality. When our assumptions are beat up by a bunch of contrary facts, do we cling to our previous assumptions like a sailor cast adrift clings to his life-preserver, or do we do the smart thing and reevaluate and modify our initial assumptions??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    When our assumptions are beat up by a bunch of contrary facts, do we cling to our previous assumptions like a sailor cast adrift clings to his life-preserver, or do we do the smart thing and reevaluate and modify our initial assumptions??
    Everyone needs to learn how to swim without life preserver support.

And if that makes sense to anyone, please explain it to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Everyone needs to learn how to swim without life preserver support.

And if that makes sense to anyone, please explain it to me.
    I would...but I'm not on the Christmas Card List!

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I would...but I'm not on the Christmas Card List!
    And if you had explained it to me, I would have added you to the list. But noooo! No chance now.
    OldChap and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Brother, sometimes I want to say...Go ahead, make my day.........ughhh.....wait...that's not it...you make my day. That's it.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

He was right.
    When I was going through the Reserve Academy, the night we were doing room/building clearing, they had a slide that said: "FIREFIGHTERS: Because even cops need heroes"

(That was also the night that I learned that these young cops didn't know how to operate the thumb safety and clear my 1911. )
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I got into law enforcement so I wouldn't be shamed eating donuts. By the way we call them crime fighting biscuits.
    You should check out Krispy Kreme, they just opened a store nearby. They're better than Dunkin Donuts in my opinion.
    OldVet and OldChap like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links