An Interesting Question - Page 2

An Interesting Question

This is a discussion on An Interesting Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tame down sports people will stop watching , this is why Evel Knievel was so popular , people want to see the carnage ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: An Interesting Question

flh
    Tame down sports people will stop watching , this is why Evel Knievel was so popular , people want to see the carnage .
    OldChap, Grizzly2 and OD* like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by CreedDryrot View Post
    How many people go to hockey games to watch the fights? Car races to watch the crashes? Baseball has had all out rumbles with bats, team against team with fans jumping in for decades. This is not a precursor to deadly colosseum games. If it was, it would've happened long ago.

Sports get heated, fists fly, players get fined and life goes on.
    As @mcp1810 said, criminal charges have been filed in other sports. Maybe it's time the NFL lost some players when they get out of control and commit an obvious assault, such as this one.

The point being made is that if players get a pass on criminality, then why not spectators as well?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I've been waiting for law enforcement since (thirty or so years ago) I saw Darryl Strawberry charge the mound. He looked mad enough to kill.

If I were the law in this football case I'd look to see what punishment the league handed out. The main perp looks to be out several million - if not a career. The other guys got hit pretty hard financially. To me this is acceptable as long as Rudolph wasn't hurt.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see somebody locked up over this, for a short while anyway. What a can of worms, though. Now home field law enforcement is open to accusations of removing the visiting teams best players for whatever. I just don't want to see sports go "there". It might, though; nobody's asking me.
    OldChap and M1911A1 like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Who cares?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

So, I thought NFL stood for "Not For Long"!
    OldChap likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I still watch college ball as they are not kneeling and still listen to their coaches and show respect for the fans and alumnus.
    Yeah I also try and put my best foot forward when at a job interview.
    OldChap likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Rewatching the video a few times on slo-mo, there was plenty of assault to go around. The Pittsburgh QB appears to choke and/or twist Garrett while on the ground, kick him in the crotch three times, and then go at him once upright while his lineman restrained him. Escalation of the confrontation, disparity of force and then, boom, a force multilpier in response.
    OldChap, OD* and M1911A1 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Rewatching the video a few times on slo-mo, there was plenty of assault to go around. The Pittsburgh QB appears to choke and/or twist Garrett while on the ground, kick him in the crotch three times, and then go at him once upright while his lineman restrained him. Escalation of the confrontation, disparity of force and then, boom, a force multilpier in response.
    Many states (mine is one of them) have "mutual combat" laws on the books. If there is a fight, and both parties are equally willing participants, it may be hard to make an assault charge stick. I'm not sure any local prosecutor wants to be the test case, or try and make (or break) a career based on this type of case...
    OldChap, Mike1956 and M1911A1 like this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Boxers have died from injuries sustained in the ring. Each party signed a contract, mutually accepting the rules and the risks. Let the league handle it. Let the millionaires sue if they think the league is negligent in the rules.
    OldChap and Mike1956 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Just treat professional athletes like the gladiators they are. I like sports but these guys are nothing more than men who are good at GAMES. I could care less what they think, say or feel. They have chosen a life of non-intellectual entertainment and when it comes to sports like boxing, football hockey etc that are hyper violent I have zero sympathy or care for their physical well being. They made their choice, now live with it.

ENTERTAIN ME!

Get hurt up top. Drag 'em off the field by the legs. Get hurt down below. Drag 'em off the field by the arms. Spinal, get a wheel barrow.

Keep the game moving!

As I'm typing this I watched my team, Alabama cart their quarterback Tua off the field. How much do I care? Not at all. Keep the game moving and there is always a replacement...
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member
    Football is a violent sport. And while it should not be violent between plays, it often is.

Do we want to see cops come on the field and arrest players when one player slaps another? When one player throws another to the ground after the play is called dead? Or a cheap shot delivered out of bounds? Of course not.

Garret bonked Rudolph on the head with a helmet. Fine him and suspend him a game or two (And of course Goodell overreacted with the suspension, keeping his track record of being a lousy NFL commissioner intact for another season).

Rudolph acted like an idiot, too. Hopefully he mans up and doesn't pretend to be the "victim."

It's the big leagues, and this was just a couple of guys that lost their cool, and nobody was hurt.

Last thing I want to see is some snowflake woe-is-me crap in the NFL.
    OldChap and Mike1956 like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Just treat professional athletes like the gladiators they are. I like sports but these guys are nothing more than men who are good at GAMES. I could care less what they think, say or feel. They have chosen a life of non-intellectual entertainment and when it comes to sports like boxing, football hockey etc that are hyper violent I have zero sympathy or care for their physical well being. They made their choice, now live with it.

ENTERTAIN ME!

Get hurt up top. Drag 'em off the field by the legs. Get hurt down below. Drag 'em off the field by the arms. Spinal, get a wheel barrow.

Keep the game moving!

As I'm typing this I watched my team, Alabama cart their quarterback Tua off the field. How much do I care? Not at all. Keep the game moving and there is always a replacement...
    What the heck? Tua T. dislocated and fractured his hip, and he may never be able to play again.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    What the heck? Tua T. dislocated and fractured his hip, and he may never be able to play again.
    So what?

I still don't care. Athletes are disposable commodities and they've chosen that path. They're treated like thoroughbreds and primped and prodded when useful. Put out to pasture and forgotten when they're not useful.

Hopefully he paid attention in class and has skills that translate outside the field that don't include playing with balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Who cares?
    I understand...I haven't watched a single down of NFL in several years, but the issue is deeper than just entertainment. Every American should care when someone breaks the law with impunity. That implies we have a dual system of justice - the very antithesis of Lady Justice, who is blindfolded for a reason. What do we suppose would happen to one of us if we engaged in something like that brawl during a Saturday sandlot pick-up football game?

Maybe I'm too simple minded. I believe every American should be held to the same standard of justice.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Spectators riot & trample at soccer games, sometimes resulting in death.
    Why?
    OldChap likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links