An Interesting Question

An Interesting Question

This is a discussion on An Interesting Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In light of the latest antics of the "National Felon League" being reported, this is a very valid question and a very pointed comment on ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: An Interesting Question

An Interesting Question

In light of the latest antics of the "National Felon League" being reported, this is a very valid question and a very pointed comment on our current level of civilization:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...-with-assault/

Those who argue "it's just a game" should be aware that it was "just a game" in ancient Rome, until it wasn't. People there started dying for the entertainment of the spectators. To be sure, nobody here died, but the question remains, "Where do we draw the line?"

Is this where we are as a society?
    rotorhead1026, OD* and baren like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Those who argue "it's just a game" should be aware that it was "just a game" in ancient Rome, until it wasn't. People there started dying for the entertainment of the spectators.
    I get your analogy, but gladiators started dying in the Roman Colosseum from day one. Historians estimate that between one in five to one in ten bouts ended in death for as long as they were held. Gladiators rarely lived to see the age of 30.

Back to the question at hand, I think if the NFL wanted to stop these fights, they could easily. Just ban fighting. If you get in an illegal fight, you're out of the NFL. But I don't think they want to. I think they like the ratings and publicity it gets. They have penalties, so it looks like they don't condone it, but they really haven't done what it would take to stop it.

I was a hockey fan in my late teens and early twenties. If there weren't at least three fights in a game, it was a dull game. The NHL has upped the penalties, but despite recommendations to end hockey fights, the NHL still allows it with restrictions and penalties.

Both are violent sports and both are doing everything they can to increase revenues. If fights do that, there will be some fights. If revenues drop as a result, they will stop it.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I am waiting for a scene like that movie The Last Boy scout where the player is running with the ball and takes out a pistol and starts shooting the defenders.
    It will soon be getting to that with the caliber of players/felons in the NFL.
    Simple answer. If it is a felony off the field, It's a felony on the field.
    This is another reason i quit watching the NFL over 4 years ago.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

@jmf552 The point though is that the death in the arena was about a side benefit...keeping the citizens of Rome looking the other way, and keeping them from setting the Emperor afire.

The gratuitous violence in the NFL is exactly the same thing...keep the people entertained so they don't set the owner's houses on fire - figuratively speaking.
    ETXhiker, jmf552, OD* and 1 others like this.

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

VIP Member
    Haven't ice hockey games always been pretty violent? Just asking because I'm not sure football is the only "sport" where "players" lose whatever small sense of sportsmanship they may have ever had.
    OldChap likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

The law has never been applied in an unbiased manner. Those with money, power, celebrity status, political or certain professions are not held to the same standard as the citizenry.
    Rockymonster and OldChap like this.

Back in my football-playing days, it never occurred to me to fight someone wearing a helmet and pads. I just took them out a play or two later--all nice and clean. A vicious tackle or really, really hard block is all part of the game.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ex Member
    Using the coined phrase "no one is above the law" I think that battery is just that no matter where or when or in what context it occurs. If I intentionally struck someone's head with a football helmet, I would most likely be arrested and probably prosecuted. I do not see any athletic game in any context in which battery is acceptable behavior. The NFL and the team owners are driven by profit. The players are money making assets. They are treated differently from any other type employee. Losing a top notch player can cost a team big bucks. So punishments for infractions are mostly not consistent with the level of th offense. It sucks.
    OldChap, dennis40x, baren and 1 others like this.

Just noticed the League came down hard: indefinite suspensions and fining each team $250K. Of course, they run back on their punishments when the players' union objects.

Someday, somehow we are once again going to have "justice for all" - even if they are rich, famous, or politicians. I'm not sure what it will take to see that happen though.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wait, the National Felon League is still holding matches? Wow, who'd thunk. Said F them a long time ago. Now UGa fodball be bery, bery gud!
    Rabbit212 and OldChap like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Wait, the National Felon League is still holding matches? Wow, who'd thunk. Said F them a long time ago. Now UGa fodball be bery, bery gud!
    Because college football isnt where the National Felon Leage gets all its players?? Dont kid yourself your just watching small time crooks trying to make it into the Cartel leagues.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Because college football isnt where the National Felon Leage gets all its players?? Dont kid yourself your just watching small time crooks trying to make it into the Cartel leagues.
    I still watch college ball as they are not kneeling and still listen to their coaches and show respect for the fans and alumnus.
    OldChap and Rabbit212 like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    How many people go to hockey games to watch the fights? Car races to watch the crashes? Baseball has had all out rumbles with bats, team against team with fans jumping in for decades. This is not a precursor to deadly colosseum games. If it was, it would've happened long ago.

Sports get heated, fists fly, players get fined and life goes on.
    flh, OldChap and OD* like this.

There is an easy way for each of us to do our part to stop this...stop watching, stop going to games, stop buying their swag. If people really don't like what the NFL is doing/allowing, that is the ultimate lever. Even if your one action is not enough to change things, guess what? You won't care because your not participating.

I would not have even known about this except for this thread, so it means nothing to me. Those overpaid, anthem-kneeling delinquents can beat each other to death with their helmets for all I care.
    OldChap and M1911A1 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

There have been criminal charges filed over NHL fights. No reason it should not happen over this.
    OldChap likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links