Defensive Carry banner

Starbucks barista writes 'Pig' on police officer's cup

3K views 78 replies 36 participants last post by  forester58 
#1 ·
An Oklahoma Starbucks apologized on Thanksgiving after one of its baristas wrote "Pig" on the label for a police officer's order.

Kiefer Police Chief Johnny O'Mara shared a photo of the insulting cup handed to one of his officers, who purchased the beverages on Thursday morning in Glenpool, just south of Tulsa, as a kind gesture for the dispatchers on duty.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/oklahoma-starbucks-police-officer-pig-cup

#12 ·
Reactions: airslot
#6 ·
Would have been fun to write "Bernie Sucks and so does this coffee" on it and hand it back to them on the way out.
Half fact, half opinion. You decide which is which.

Reactions: Texas Red and SFury
#4 ·
Makes my blood boil !!!!! We have to start appreciating our LEO"s in PUBLIC and make a stand to show we are NOT putting up with this SH.. !!!! If we don't show our support, this will continue to get worse.

#7 ·
Some people go out of their way to be nasty. Others go out of their way to be nice. The officer was buying coffee to take to the dispatcher. That was nice. The nitwit who took the order and printed the label was nasty. She was also stupid. If, as she claimed, it was a joke she was too stupid to realize no one was going to laugh. If it was not a joke then she is too stupid to do her job. Either way she ought to be in the unemployment line today. She is probably not too stupid to fill out the form.

#8 ·
I do hope everyone here that eats and drinks at fast food places understands the risk of being served contaminated orders is high.

Sadly, I have a niece (total scumbag) who was employed by a fast food chain. Whenever LEOs, or other decent folk these lowlifes envied walked in as customers, they would call for a "special", which would be an order contaminated in various disgusting ways.

This is another valid reason I no longer patronize junk food joints.

I do hope the officer who received the cup marked "pig" had his order tested for contaminants.

#17 ·
It is sooooo easy to blame a company for the actions of an individual. I call it the shotgun effect--blame everyone because we don't know how to blame the one.

Having worked for Starbucks before it went nationwide, I can assure you politics and liberal idealism were never part of the training, encouraged, nor endorsed. It was all about customer satisfaction. To this day, I've never encountered anything other than the same service I gave in my time there--no matter how stupid the customer may be.

#18 ·
We have too many good independent coffee shops here; no way I'll spend money in a Starbucks. Starbucks is more than a little left-wing, and that would be OK with me if they didn't use their pulpit to proselytize a liberal agenda while actively trying to drive small concerns out of business. That's their right, but it doesn't mean I have to support them. And Starbucks coffee is highly overrated. Way overrated.

#19 ·
Yeah...this incident just isn’t right.....

#20 ·
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That’s why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

From the beginning, our vision at Starbucks has been to create a “third place” between home and work where people can come together to enjoy the peace and pleasure of coffee and community. Our values have always centered on building community rather than dividing people, and our stores exist to give every customer a safe and comfortable respite from the concerns of daily life.

We appreciate that there is a highly sensitive balance of rights and responsibilities surrounding America’s gun laws, and we recognize the deep passion for and against the “open carry” laws adopted by many states. (In the United States, “open carry” is the term used for openly carrying a firearm in public.) For years we have listened carefully to input from our customers, partners, community leaders and voices on both sides of this complicated, highly charged issue.

Our company’s longstanding approach to “open carry” has been to follow local laws: we permit it in states where allowed and we prohibit it in states where these laws don’t exist. We have chosen this approach because we believe our store partners should not be put in the uncomfortable position of requiring customers to disarm or leave our stores. We believe that gun policy should be addressed by government and law enforcement—not by Starbucks and our store partners.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

I am proud of our country and our heritage of civil discourse and debate. It is in this spirit that we make today’s request. Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors.

Sincerely,

Howard Schultz
Emphasis added.

You be the judge, but the phrase 'appeasement' comes to mind for me. And should we then be surprised that such a chain emboldens an employee to act with such disrespect?

#21 ·
That was a tough spot for Starbucks back then. They had all those yahoos carrying AR-15s and posting photos of themselves having coffee there. No business wants that crap. I thought they handled it pretty well. They did not put up gunbuster signs, just asked people to stop walking around their stores with tactical shotguns. I think they good a job of walking the middle line between not alienating gun owners while also not having their stores look like a third world arms bazaar.

Removing the boobs from their logo I cannot forgive.

#25 ·
These stories about Starbucks employees treating LEO,s poorly seems to keep happening and the company’s response always seems to be an apology.
When some homeless black guys were kicked out for using the WiFi and restrooms without buying anything,the response was to shut down all stores nationwide to retrain employees on how to treat them.
I guarantee you that Starbucks will never do it for situations such as this.
That speaks loudly to me on what their priorities are.
My priority is to not buy their coffee.

#27 ·
This employee most certainly should be fired for this, but it’s interesting that Starbucks employs hundreds of thousands of people, and the entire company is judged on a couple of bad hires, all while the free or discounted coffee given to LEO’s daily goes ignored.

Reactions: Rabbit212
#34 ·
Their burnt coffee is crap and expensive.. No desire to ever go there again. Plus they openly embrace a radical leftist ideology that I personally detest.
Besides the local Price Chopper chain grocery store has FREE coffee and donuts/muffins every Tuesday for seniors, and the coffee is always fresh, and actually quite good.. Big 16 oz cups too.. oh yeah, and free!

Honestly, Starbucks just has that burnt bitter taste in the coffee that a lot of people enjoy.. My wife and myself prefer a smoother, less strong/burnt taste.. When we buy coffee out we go to Dunkin donuts.. Pretty decent coffee, and we have been getting free donuts there for years with online coupons.

. I'm a senior.. thats what seniors do i guess.- look for free coffee and donuts and then use 4 gallons of gas getting to and from the free donuts and coffee.. bob

#35 ·
. I'm a senior.. thats what seniors do i guess.- look for free coffee and donuts and then use 4 gallons of gas getting to and from the free donuts and coffee.. bob
Don't forget driving across town to buy gas one cent cheaper per gallon.

#38 ·
Just read on CNN at 12:03 AM that the nasty barista was fired by Starbucks. I like that, but I do not like their coffee.

#52 ·
Not a dime but wish I did. It's not about Starbucks, it's more about ignorance of the company (and others) and its situation.

Reactions: wmhawth and Havok
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.