If this is correct, we are in very big trouble.. Cop "murders" active shooter. - Page 2

If this is correct, we are in very big trouble.. Cop "murders" active shooter.

This is a discussion on If this is correct, we are in very big trouble.. Cop "murders" active shooter. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Brad426 He's dead, dude. I'm prepared for a long wait....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: If this is correct, we are in very big trouble.. Cop "murders" active shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    He's dead, dude.
    I'm prepared for a long wait.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There is an old adage that a states attorney could indite a ham sandwich if he wanted to. well here we see proof of this.

He shot an evil black rifle 60 times through the windshield of his car and killed a woman. In the era of Michael Brown, not too surprising charges were filed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    60 shots is a rather high count, but given the reported circumstances (yes, rather vague), this woman HAD to be stopped somehow. Difficult to drive, take fire, and return fire accurately. My questions would be about why other officers were not involved and other options available.

As far as how many rounds he carried, I have heard of officers refusing to go out on patrol with less than 100 rounds on their body somewhere.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    It is hard to fathom what went on in the Grand Jury....but I have often heard D.A.'s say that they could get a ham sandwich indicted if they wanted to. When I was still active in L.E. we were taught to shoot until the threat was neutralized. Because there was a death, the suspect, the case had to go to the Grand Jury.....however, I cant imagine that they would have indicted a L.E. for second degree homicide unless the D.A. had a bias or a totally bad investigation was done and it was presented to the Grand Jury.....I would love to see the Lt.'s dash cam or body video.....to me that is totally and blatantly wrong if all that I have read about the incident is correct......may God bless and watch over this officer!
    I read up on the prosecutor, Hicks. One interesting aspect is he is not the first prosecutor on this. The first one had to be recused, although the article I read didn't say why. Not sure what that means, but it adds to the weirdness here. Hicks himself does not seem to be anti-LE. There was another case he was on where he praised the "brave men and women of LE" to the rafters for bravery in a difficult situation. And we are talking about Oklahoma, for heaven's sake.

I also reviewed the OK law on this and it seems to me to be a real stretch for him to have this charge. That all doesn't shed much light, it's just interesting. So as others have speculated, there may be more here than meets the eye.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Rumor has it, so is OldVet. He's just too stubborn to acknowledge that reality and move on is all. The power of mind over matter!
    To paraphrase Decartes: Bibo ergo sum - I drink, therefore I am.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    same here, I also sensed a vague/ somewhat incomplete vibe to the reporting.. However, IF this person was shooting at people from a moving car, and would not stop, she HAD to be taken out, no??.. bob
    Can't be anymore vague than the las Vegas shooter with 58 dead and hundreds wounded....OMO.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Rumor has it, so is OldVet. He's just too stubborn to acknowledge that reality and move on is all. The power of mind over matter!
    Bourbon embalmed is the term I prefer. Therefore, I am immortal.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I read the articles. Sounds like they figure the actions of the officer were more of a threat than those of the active shooter because he fired so many shots. Wonder what the upper limit is before you have to stop and just let them carry on? Where is "One Bullet Barney" when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    I read the articles. Sounds like they figure the actions of the officer were more of a threat than those of the active shooter because he fired so many shots. Wonder what the upper limit is before you have to stop and just let them carry on? Where is "One Bullet Barney" when you need him?
    The answer to your question is none. There is no limit. The danger was so obvious and great, the officer had no other logical course of action. To think otherwise, defies logic. Freedom isn't free. To maintain freedom, some have to die. A sad truth that has been proven to be true over and over again.

The only question is, and this is moving forward, what other actions could have been done to effect the outcome safer and faster?

The unknown facts may shed light as to why charges were made. Those facts may change my belief the officers actions were necessary and justified. The initial facts we know don't add up to having any charges being made against the officer.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I have not researched the legal issues involved, but someone put forth an interesting theory at coffee today.
    What if by charging and quitting him, the chance of civil suits are legally blocked?

While I have no legal knowledge, It does seem possible.
    There have been more than one legally justified SD shootings where the victim has been sued in civil court and lost. Even those who win have paid out legal fees etc.

Anyone with a little more knowledge care to chime in?
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I have not researched the legal issues involved, but someone put forth an interesting theory at coffee today.
    What if by charging and quitting him, the chance of civil suits are legally blocked?

There have been more than one legally justified SD shootings where the victim has been sued in civil court and lost. Even those who win have paid out legal fees etc.

Do the initials "O.J." ring a bell?
    M1911A1 likes this.

This cop might have been a yahoo,perhaps even incompetent.. we have no idea how good or bad a cop he is.. So if thats the case and its proven in court, censure him, or fire him.. I have no issue with that. But a murder charge?.. Incomprehensible to me.

The guy stopped a crazed woman taking pot shots at innocent people from her car. what was he supposed to do, yell curse words at her over his PA system?
    He ended a deadly threat. If he did it in a way that endangered the public, than he should be disciplined in some manner, but NOT charged with murder.

If this keeps up, cops will stop using their guns altogether in defense of citizens and who could blame them. I mean if you think that killing a lunatic with a gun is going to land you in jail for the rest of your life, are you going to do it? Cops will let them use up all their ammo, and the "observe" them until an arrest can be made.. or something..

I am not even much of a cop defender /supporter compared to most on this forum. In my many 6 1/2 decades of life I have met some really terrific ones to be sure, but for every good, honest helpful one I have met a cold, nasty, arrogant, hostile, even abusive one.
    I am not one to defend every action every cop takes. They make mistakes too, but whats right is right, and a murder charge is a travesty.
    These guys need to do be able to their job and react accordingly in deadly situations such as this..The way things are going "protect and serve" will be changed to 'watch and wait"... bob
    SFury and rotorhead1026 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post

Remember: being acquitted does not mean "innocent," only not proven guilty.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I think we all ought to start considering what kind of shape we are going to leave this world in for Keith Richards, Betty White and OldVet when we pass on...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links