Defensive Carry banner

another naval base shootout

5K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  CLASS3NH 
#1 ·
Reactions: gatorbait51
#2 ·
I just don't get the whole copycat phenomena.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#4 ·
I was just there last week at the commissary. NAS Pensacola forbids any firearms on their installation. This goes to show you how well gun free zones work!:blink: The policy varies by installation and is up to the commanders discretion. This incident is very sad indeed!

#5 ·
I do not know if it is a faulty perception on my past, but it seems to me that the incidence of psychologically disturbed people resorting to gun violence is increasing. I cannot remember years gone by in which the news of deranged people seem a prevalent as it seems to me today. Maybe there has not been an increase and the reason is the increasing level of news reporting we have today through websites. Or are there actually a growing number of violent psychologically disturbed people? I do not know, but I wish I did.

Reactions: M1911A1
#10 ·
I do not know if it is a faulty perception on my past, but it seems to me that the incidence of psychologically disturbed people resorting to gun violence is increasing. I cannot remember years gone by in which the news of deranged people seem a prevalent as it seems to me today. Maybe there has not been an increase and the reason is the increasing level of news reporting we have today through websites. Or are there actually a growing number of violent psychologically disturbed people? I do not know, but I wish I did.
This IS the exact reason for the increase! Perfect storm, for these sick people to satisfy their twisted "got to have fame/I AM IMPORTANT as SOON as I can/instant gratification, because guns can be used by simpletons not adept at more complicated forms of lashing out. The news media "propels this storm without doubt", but say's it's "NOT THEIR FAULT, AS THEY'RE JUST REPORTING THE NEWS! It's like a tornado that grows & grows. Nothing can stop it. "If I don't report it also, I'm left out, & my ratings will slip"! The 24 hour news format is a big part of this! It "fuels the very problem it wish's to vilify"!

#7 ·
Yes, just inside the Blue Angel gate. *Side note: a very worthy (free admission) museum to see even for an Air Force vet!

#16 ·
I don't ask to feel safe anywhere. I would rather live free, accepting the risks associated with that freedom, than have to rely on the state for a guarantee of my safety. When we support the Second Amendment, we are implicitly accepting increased risk along with our freedom. To me, the freedom is well worth the increased risk.

(And like many of us here, I believe I am better able to provide for my own safety than the police, only 5 minutes and a 911 call away, are able to do.)

I would request that you be careful of asking for safety. Other people's idea of how to provide for our safety may be different than ours.

#11 ·
Back in 2015, I was there for my Son's Graduation from CIZZO ( Combat Systems Officer) School (USAF shares an area near the Angels' Flightline) My kid told me they was VERY strict on weapons on Base, and to leave my CC at his Apt.....At the Gate, IDs were shown, and the Guards asked "any weapons in your vehicle"......Either way, this is a very sad day for those who protect us, and they are not able to protect themselves from a deranged and determined individual...May God be with all the victims and their Families at this time..

#25 · (Edited)
Back in 2015, I was there for my Son's Graduation from CIZZO ( Combat Systems Officer) School (USAF shares an area near the Angels' Flightline) My kid told me they was VERY strict on weapons on Base, and to leave my CC at his Apt.....At the Gate, IDs were shown, and the Guards asked "any weapons in your vehicle"......Either way, this is a very sad day for those who protect us, and they are not able to protect themselves from a deranged and determined individual...May God be with all the victims and their Families at this time..
Do they really think that a bad guy is going to admit to having a firearm?

#19 ·
I went to Aviation Officer Candidate School and Basic and Intermediate Flight Training at NAS Pensacola in 1978. The shooting was reported to be just off Radford Road, which is the main East/West drag. I was all over that area that year. And I have been back since. These stories seem to have more impact if the incident happens somewhere you have connection to. Very sad.

#21 ·
I've lived on bases and possessed private firearms. The firearms had to be registered, commander had to sign off on the registration, copies kept with Security Forces, etc..... Never a hassle. It was not permissible to keep firearms in a vehicle, however. A few people got in trouble for that.

#23 ·
When I was at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, I was the AOIC of the base shooting team. Either the OIC or I had to sign for all guns and ammo from the armory. I had a wallet card signed by the base chief of police saying I could carry anything, anywhere, anytime on any base in the area, because we often shot at other bases. I would have been legal off base too, because the law said carry restrictions did not apply to military in performance of their duties. I often had a dozen guns and and a few thousand rounds of ammo in the rear of my Civic hatchback. The guns where usually not even in cases. I would pad them and cover them up with blankets. I never needed to show the card to anyone though.

When the chief was signing the card, he sighed and said, "Another gun nut..." I took it as a compliment!

#24 ·
Must have been a while ago. That's how I remember it being 'back in the day', but the past 10-15 years the you'd think the bureaucrats at DoD were afraid folks would injure themselves if allowed access to civilian weapons on base. My only experiences prior to my daughter starting on the Skeet/Trap team at school with shooting birds was on base many years ago with civilian weapons. Heck, as a kid I learned to shoot pistols and M1s at the range on post.

Reactions: Old Man
#27 ·
Reactions: msgt/ret and flh
#40 ·
When I went through Pensacola, we had a fair number of foreign students. I shared a suite in the BOQ with an Iranian flight student. This was when the Shah was in power. We didn't have any problems and there haven't been any problems with Islamic students in the 40 years since, until now. Saudi is supposed to be an ally.

Nutcases can come from anywhere. That Islamic doctor, Nidal Malik Hasan, who shot up Fort Hood, was a US citizen and an Army Major.

#39 ·
One of the initial reports I saw indicated that the county sheriff's department was the first to arrive on the scene and engage the shooter, killing him. I'm not very familiar with NAS Pensacola, having only been on base a couple of times, but this seems sorta strange to me. I'll be watching further updates to see if any additional details are put forth.

#46 ·
There are no Marine MP's at NAS Pensacola or nearby Corry Station. There are Navy Shore Police or DOD uniformed security at the gates, although there is no guard or gate at Corry Station like there is at NAS Pensacola. (Not sure about Whiting Field I haven't been there in years.) I know a retired NCIS agent who covered USCG Mobile & Dauphin Island and all the Naval installations around Pensacola. They are armed but when he was working 2 agents had to cover about 9 separate installations in 3 states.

#50 ·
Surprise Surprise Surprise.

Shouldn't the combination of Saudis and flight training in Florida kinda be a huge red flag?

Six Saudis were just detained in connection. Some of them were filming the slaughter.
https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amend...acola-shooting-including-3-who-filmed-attack/

How many times are we going to allow Muslims to shoot up our military bases?
Why does our government keep importing third world savages that want to kill us?

#51 ·
...Six Saudis were just detained in connection. Some of them were filming the slaughter.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ups-tr...was-on-his-first-day-as-driver-coworker-says/...
Your link does not lead to the Pensacola story. It leads to the UPS-truck shootout, which was purely domestic.

Further, none of the news outlets I've accessed seem to have published anything about six other Saudis, or about anyone "filming the slaughter."
Could you please provide operating links to this information?

#58 ·
What troubles me the most is that Navy Security personnel basically have to wait for an off-base civilian law enforcement agency to respond to an active shooter threat on a US military installation! (Nothing against Escambia County SO, they are a fine well trained agency and no doubt saved many lives!) I know there are many retired and active military CCW members that utilize that base regularly, myself included! Unfortunately we can't carry even in our vehicles on NAS Pensacola installations. The state and national FOP is working on getting some of these ridiculous base policy's changed at the national level. I suspect that the current administration would support these changes and make our armed forces installations become unattractive to zealots who target gun free zones on our military installations. Just my .02 worth!

#59 ·
I suspect the local mutual aid agreement just directs the closet available LEO's to respond to an active shooter, whether military or community LEO.

As for allowing on base carry, Trump promised to fix that the first day he was in office. I suspect senior officers managed to sneak the current "it's up to installation commanders" nonsense by him.

If the FOP change anything, my bet is it would still be limited to LEO's, not us mere mortals.

#67 ·
How do you prepare for a mass shooting, you watch mass shooting videos.

Accused Base Shooter Hosted Creepy Dinner Before Attack

(Newser) – The Saudi student who fatally shot three people at a US naval base in Florida hosted a dinner party earlier in the week where he and three others watched videos of mass shootings, a US official told the AP on Saturday. One of the three students who attended the dinner party videotaped outside the building while the shooting was taking place at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday, said the US official, who spoke on condition of anonymity after being briefed by federal authorities. Two other Saudi students watched from a car, the official said. The official said 10 Saudi students were being held on the base Saturday while several others were unaccounted for. US officials had previously told the AP they were investigating possible links to terrorism.
https://www.newser.com/story/284056...art&utm_medium=earthlink&utm_campaign=rss_top

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.