Police officers association? - Page 2

Police officers association?

This is a discussion on Police officers association? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ jmf552 beat me to it. This one has language not for church....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Police officers association?

@jmf552 beat me to it.

This one has language not for church.

Kilowatt3 and OldChap like this.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ...while he was doing all that I was in his account changing all his passwords and passcodes so that he couldn't get in it...
    Ooops!

I'm no lawyer, but it appears that you just publicly admitted to violating 18 U.S. Code ß 2701 - "Unlawful access to stored communications." That's a Felony that could net you up to five years for a first offense. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

It's also a violation of DC rules.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Ooops!

I'm no lawyer, but it appears that you just publicly admitted to violating 18 U.S. Code ß 2701 - "Unlawful access to stored communications." That's a Felony that could net you up to five years for a first offense. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

It's also a violation of DC rules.
    It was 20 years ago and the company no longer exists. I doubt anyone is going to the trouble to hunt me down. You can feel free to report the post though

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    It was 20 years ago and the company no longer exists. I doubt anyone is going to the trouble to hunt me down. You can feel free to report the post though
    Cypher, you donít need to worry about folks who you called 20 years ago.
    You need to worry about us hunting you down. (Sarcasm)
    OldVet, OldChap and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    The other day I got 4 calls in a row from "Publishers Clearing House" using an obviously faked phone number. I have not sent in or registered in any way for their drawing, which means it was a big time scam. I made the mistake of telling the guy he woke me up from my nap, and HE got nasty. This jerk went so far as to tell me he had to keep calling until I listened to what he had to tell me. And he did keep calling!

UNTIL: The 4th phone call was answered by Gramps. The guy started talking with these words: "Your wife should not be sleeping in the afternoon." I cannot write what Gramps then blurted out because I would get banned....(Gramps normally does not swear)...but we never got a 5th call.
    OldChap, Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I make a motion for keel hauling. Do I have a second?
    Second. Drawing and quartering would work too.
    You missed the point. The victim and the person deserving of being treated like a human being was the telemarketer ( the guy who was putting you in a circuitous hold loop while he changed your passwords )! Just be nice to him and you will fare better.

I don't answer...just like the doorbell...but every now and then I will answer, "Sheriff's Office, Fraud Division...may I help you?"

And for those who might worry, that isn't impersonating.
    Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    You missed the point. The victim and the person deserving of being treated like a human being was the telemarketer ( the guy who was putting you in a circuitous hold loop while he changed your passwords )! Just be nice to him and you will fare better.
    I think you're missing the point.

All the games people play on telemarketers are not only pointless but very likely to backfire on them. The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone
    OldVet likes this.

I like to fry their ears with loud noises. First Iíll tell them in a faint soft voice that i canít hear them so they will listen to me harder and hopefully put their ear to the phone, then I scream at the top of my lungs or use a horn to blast their ears.

Hope it hurts
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

I think you're missing the point.

The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone

No sir your missing the point. Stop calling us, you made the first move.

..and besides, we actually have much better ways of getting rid of telemarketers, but if I told you then Iíd have to kill you
    (shhhh, we have alligators that do our biddness for us, we serve southern gators telemarketers and okra Mmmmm)
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

VIP Member
    @Cypher I think you are misunderstanding what most of us are talking about. We are not talking about telemarketers with whose companies we already have an account! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ROBO CALLS AND SCAMS.

I do feel sorry for anyone who cannot find an honest job and has to lower him or herself to working for these scam companies.

There was a time when you could answer the phone and be polite in your refusal to purchase or to support an organization. The scammers and thieves have ruined that for all of us. Polite does not work anymore.

Mostly I just hang up, but after those 4 ghastly calls in a row the other day our new firm policy is DO NOT ANSWER. Let it go to voice mail, and most of the time there is no message left on the answering machine. Suits me fine. Several years ago I learned that when I phoned my brother I needed to say, "Dan, pick up the phone. This is your sister." That usually worked.

Unfortunately, we occasionally get a legitimate phone call from either a friend who has disabled caller ID or from a doctor's office with a number that is not familiar to us. But we can return legitimate calls!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

This is a hilarious response to a telemarketer:

This was hilarious.. But it actually happens.

A couple years ago, I had stopped by a homicide investigation, to chat with a friend/fellow LEO about another case, when the victim's phone rang.

The LT in charge of the investigation answered the phone, and then started asking similar questions. Turned out it was a telemarketer, but I'm sure, the guy on the other end of the phone, wished he had not picked that number to call.

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    Disagree. If someone has agreed to be a telemarketer for a company whose dialing program violates the national do not call list, will not honor do not call requests and sells calling information with other telemarketers they are breaking the law and they are unethical. They deserve whatever nasty response they get. My strategy is to waste their time, to tie them up and keep them from making more calls as long as I can, to make them less profitable. I keep them on the line, thinking they are going to sell me something long enough to find out who they really represent, enough information to report them to the FTC and to my attorney.

Anyone who has been one of that kind of telemarketer should be ashamed of themselves, but since they are that kind of person, they probably aren't. I will not surrender to that kind of behavior by cooperating with it in any way.
    OldVet, GpTom and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The other day I got 4 calls in a row from "Publishers Clearing House" using an obviously faked phone number. I have not sent in or registered in any way for their drawing, which means it was a big time scam. I made the mistake of telling the guy he woke me up from my nap, and HE got nasty. This jerk went so far as to tell me he had to keep calling until I listened to what he had to tell me. And he did keep calling!

UNTIL: The 4th phone call was answered by Gramps. The guy started talking with these words: "Your wife should not be sleeping in the afternoon." I cannot write what Gramps then blurted out because I would get banned....(Gramps normally does not swear)...but we never got a 5th call.
    I got two of those ads from " Publishers Clearing House" in our mail box one day so I got on Facebook and told everybody how lucky I was. I MAY have won twice in the SAME day. But I still don't see anybody coming by with the big check. The junk mail is bad enough but at least they haven't been calling me from P.C.H. .

My strategy is to waster their time, to tie them up and keep them from making more calls as long as I can, to make them less profitable.
    If the guy on the phone REALLY wanted to get off the phone he'd hang up on you. But since he's getting paid by the hour not the call he doesn't care.

I keep them on the line, thinking they are going to sell me something long enough to find out who they really represent, enough information to report them to the FTC and to my attorney.
    How's that working out for you?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links