Police officers association? - Page 3

Police officers association?

This is a discussion on Police officers association? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The telemarketer I used to work for was phenomenally disorganized. SIX MONTHS after I quit and got an honest job I got a phone call ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Police officers association?

The telemarketer I used to work for was phenomenally disorganized. SIX MONTHS after I quit and got an honest job I got a phone call from them one day. I don't remember exactly how they worded it but they told me that I had several unexcused absences and if I didn't show up for work the next day I could consider myself terminated. I called HR and very politely informed them that I had resigned with notice six months previous.

The second telemarketing company I worked for (inbound customer service) told me on my last day that I couldn't quit without sending notice up through my supervisor to his supervisor to HR. I put my company phone and my company ID on the HR lady's desk and asked her to let me know how that worked out for her and walked out.

I worked there for I think 6 months and I was like the kiss of death. Because they would assign me to a given group and then fire my supervisor the next day. After a while I quit asking who my supervisor was. I would just show up for my shift go to a cube in the back next to a window and the person that worked in that cube would wait till I got there before they clocked out and left so I could take that cube. Then I'd clock in and do my shift and leave.

It was a weird company. They dealt with people's credit card information and every so often the police would show up and just arrest somebody right off the floor for fraudulently using a customer's credit card. One of the supervisors was dating one of her co-workers and apparently called him up on the phone one night and made him listen to her blowing her brains out.

All of the supervisors tried to make it sound like this was your entry into Corporate America and if you walked away from this job you were going to be homeless wino for the rest of your life. The company closed and every single one of their jobs moved to India or someplace like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    If the guy on the phone REALLY wanted to get off the phone he'd hang up on you. But since he's getting paid by the hour not the call he doesn't care.
    How's that working out for you?
    Very well, actually, I hardly ever get telemarketing calls anymore and when I do, I never get a second one from the same organization or with the same pitch. I have strategies for marketing emails also and I rarely get those either, and never from the same organization twice.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I am not angry because Cypher gave us all of that information about how it works. Just wondering what happens when I don't answer but call back in a half hour and when they say that the "donation center" line is busy then I block them. I get the feeling that they don't know that I called back because they are a CALL OUT ONLY system. Right Mr. Cypher? Sometimes I need to know if it was an important call so I will call the number back after a little while. If the number is blocked I know that it is a telemarketer. If somebody answers and they say they didn't call me I will tell them that a telemarketer just used their number. SORRY!
    From what I have seen on here I get the idea that these telemarketers think that people never have a need to answer calls if they don't know the number. The reason why I have answered calls lately is because we have requested medical records to be sent to us from several different places to take to another medical center. Maybe it is just a game to telemarketers but it could be life or death to somebody who needs vital information.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I am not angry because Cypher gave us all of that information about how it works. Just wondering what happens when I don't answer but call back in a half hour and when they say that the "donation center" line is busy then I block them. I get the feeling that they don't know that I called back because they are a CALL OUT ONLY system. Right Mr. Cypher? Sometimes I need to know if it was an important call so I will call the number back after a little while. If the number is blocked I know that it is a telemarketer. If somebody answers and they say they didn't call me I will tell them that a telemarketer used their number to call me, SORRY!
    It depends on if you're working inbound or outbound but I never actually had a telephone at my desk I worked from a computer. I don't think I could have taken an inbound call if I was in an outbound Center if I tried I don't even know if it was even possible.

Rule of thumb if it was an important and legitimate call they'll leave a voicemail
    oldIthink likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Very well, actually, I hardly ever get telemarketing calls anymore and when I do, I never get a second one from the same organization or with the same pitch. I have strategies for marketing emails also and I rarely get those either, and never from the same organization twice.

I rarely get telemarketing calls either. I just don't waste nearly as much time on it as you do.

I rarely get telemarketing calls either. I just don't waste nearly as much time on it as you do.
    I'm retired. I get to waste my time on whatever amuses me. And harassing scumbags amuses me.
    Cypher likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Seems like the phone company should be able to filter out the spam calls just like my email service does. I never get an email from anybody who I don't know or have done business with lately. Spam goes into the spam file. I have a guy who sent me hundreds of mostly religious emails. He sent some that were blackmailing me that if I didn't say or do what was required then it meant that I don't love Jesus. I have a special file for his mail and I dump it about once a year without having to look at it. I have a special Eddie file. I haven't checked to see if Eddie has figured out why he doesn't get any replies yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    You missed the point. The victim and the person deserving of being treated like a human being was the telemarketer ( the guy who was putting you in a circuitous hold loop while he changed your passwords )! Just be nice to him and you will fare better.

The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone
    Maybe we are on to something here. The easiest way to avoid drunk drivers is to not drive your car. The easiest way to avoid muggers is to never leave home. Perhaps I'll just get rid of my phone altogether. Problem solved! No wait................
    5lima30ret and msgt/ret like this.

To all of you guys who are getting all wrapped around the axel over this thread.

I'm actually glad you posted this because it gives me a good lead for what I'm trying to say.

I'm retired. I get to waste my time on whatever amuses me. And harassing scumbags amuses me.
    The point I'm trying to make in this thread is that all you're (collectively) doing is getting your blood pressure up while making zero impact on the guy on the other end of the phone. You're not harassing him. You're not intimidating him. You're not causing him to rethink his life choices. He doesn't care. He is sitting on the other end of that line with his headset on mute either laughing at you or playing with his smart phone. All you're really doing is allowing him to do is get paid to listen to you (do nothing) rant.

Now if you want to waste whatever portion of the very finite amount of time you have left in this life on that, knock yourself out, I choose not to.

I choose not to give the guy even a second of my time.

Be water

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Seems like the phone company should be able to filter out the spam calls just like my email service does. I never get an email from anybody who I don't know or have done business with lately. Spam goes into the spam file. I have a guy who sent me hundreds of mostly religious emails. He sent some that were blackmailing me that if I didn't say or do what was required then it meant that I don't love Jesus. I have a special file for his mail and I dump it about once a year without having to look at it. I have a special Eddie file. I haven't checked to see if Eddie has figured out why he doesn't get any replies yet.
    If you are getting spam/scam calls on your land line, I recommend doing what I did. I bought a Digit One call blocker and installed it on the land line. You can block entire area codes, "Out of Area", "Not Provided" etc. Most of the spam/scam calls I get show as Out of Area on my caller ID. But I have about 60 area codes blocked that seem to be the ones used most by call centers and robo callers.

Be water
    OK, Bruce Lee

OK, Bruce Lee
    Bruce didn't waste time on telemarketers either
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Bruce didn't waste time on telemarketers either
    No, but I will bet if he found one, the result wouldn't be pretty.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I draw out the conversation as long as I can before declining to contribute. I've been removed from a lot of lists this way.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Lately, I get calls from my own phone number.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links