Police officers association? - Page 4

Police officers association?

This is a discussion on Police officers association? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jmf552 No, but I will bet if he found one, the result wouldn't be pretty. I never met Bruce Lee (In fact ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Police officers association?

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    No, but I will bet if he found one, the result wouldn't be pretty.
    I never met Bruce Lee (In fact I'm pretty sure I didn't even know who he was till long after he died) but he didn't seem like the type to engage in unnecessary violence. So are you telling us that if you met a telemarketer face to face you'd attempt to commit battery on him/her?

I was 7 when Bruce Lee died

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Lately, I get calls from my own phone number.
    That's the one that always cracks me up.

We just let all calls go to voice mail. Mrs Pockets has a handset near her chair and she looks at the caller ID whenever it rings Some of the Caller IDs are great. We especially laugh at the ones calling from various Boards of Education in counties where we don't live.

Since we have erroneously listed our landline number with several important agencies, it has taken a long time to get them all changed over to one of our cell phones.

When we moved, many years ago, we kept the local number on our cell phones so our friends could call us as a local call and not pay long distance. Of course now it makes no difference with almost all cell phone carriers offering free long distance. As a result, whenever we see a call from our old area code, we let the call go an put it in the "blocked number" bin.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Lately, I get calls from my own phone number.
    Can you put yourself on your do not call list? Can you block calls from yourself?

It reminds me of a true story. A Lt. Col. in the Army had two jobs. He commanded his own unit, but he had a collateral duty to be the IG for the next higher level. As IG, he inspected his own unit and finding it not up to snuff, he put himself as the unit commander on report. He was discharged for medical (read psyc.) reasons. This was documented in a pretty well known book about the Army, but I can't remember the title or author.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I never met Bruce Lee (In fact I'm pretty sure I didn't even know who he was till long after he died) but he didn't seem like the type to engage in unnecessary violence. So are you telling us that if you met a telemarketer face to face you'd attempt to commit battery on him/her?

I was 7 when Bruce Lee died
    No, it would not be an attempt and it wouldn't be battery.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

No, it would not be an attempt and it wouldn't be battery.
    Can't speak for your location but in Colorado (with certain exceptions) if you touch another person without their consent it's battery.

Seems like a lot more wasted effort than ignoring a phone call

Can't speak for your location but in Colorado (with certain exceptions) if you touch another person without their consent it's battery.

Seems like a lot more wasted effort than ignoring a phone call
    Gotta prove it first. Dead men tell no tales. Arrrgh!

But what is more fun is wasting effort making wild statements to trigger snowflakes...

Gotta prove it first. Dead men tell no tales. Arrrgh!

But what is more fun is wasting effort making wild statements to trigger snowflakes...
    So you're admitting to being a troll? Isn't that against forum rules?

Cypher says he is a Christian now and I assume he feels remorse for whatever his level of participation was in those dastardly activities. I don't know if he ever did any of those things to me back then, but if so I can "Be Water" and just move on. I disagree about not answering my phone. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of having a phone to begin with and represents a lifestyle modification forced on me by scammers and crooks. Just stubborn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    Cypher says he is a Christian now and I assume he feels remorse for whatever his level of participation was in those dastardly activities. I don't know if he ever did any of those things to me back then, but if so I can "Be Water" and just move on. I disagree about not answering my phone. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of having a phone to begin with and represents a lifestyle modification forced on me by scammers and crooks. Just stubborn I guess.
    I have a major hearing impairment and using the phone is a PiTA. My real friends know that and communicate with me by text. So if my phone rings at all (which it doesn't because I have it set to Silent and Vibrate) I already know it's someone I don't want to talk to anyway and not answering the phone isn't that big of a change in my life style. If it's really important they'll leave a voice mail. No Voice Mail, no call back.

And just so we're clear I was a legitimate telemarketer. I sold credit cards for Bank of America and Cell Phones for Virgin Mobile. I wasn't the guy calling you and telling you your SSN was being suspended.

Yeah, I've had a number of those calls. Tried to report it to the Police but they were absolutely not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    Yeah, I've had a number of those calls. Tried to report it to the Police but they were absolutely not interested.
    The calls don't originate in America there's not a lot they can do

So you're admitting to being a troll? Isn't that against forum rules?
    That could only possibly be true if are admitting to being a snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I don't know how we got on the list but we have had about a six calls from nearly every area in our state and they all claim to be from some police association.
    Today the number on the machine said that it was a local call. " Hello I'm Joe from the police officers association and we are--------." By that time I am asking Joe what police department are you with?
    He stops for a minute but then continues. I ask again " what department are you with Joe?" He doesn't even attempt to answer so I tell him-- l don't think you are a cop Joe I think that you are a phony S.O.B.
    Then I hang up.
    They can't answer my question and claim to be a police officer or they know that they would be in trouble for impersonating a police officer.
    ^^This^^

This is a scam that goes on in all 50-states. Tell them what you think of them and hang-up. Also block the number if it comes to your cell phone.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    If the caller is not one of my contacts, or I donít know the number, I donít answer.

Every time you answer, you are verified as a working number for another list sold to a new solicitor.
    Ditto. If I dont recognize the number, I don't answer and it it goes to voice mail. I screen the calls that way and block unwanted calls, for what its worth. Works for me. Even though I'm a NRA Life Benefactor, I still don't take NRA fundraising calls.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

My blocked call list is nearly as long as my client list. My client list is well over 300 now I believe. I never answer calls except from two people, my wife and my best friend, everyone else can leave a message and if I want I'll call back. I grew up with a party line, I have no guilt over not answering the phone unless I asked someone to call and then didn't answer because then I just wasted their time. As has been said, if the call is important they leave a message or text me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links