Police officers association?

This is a discussion on Police officers association? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know how we got on the list but we have had about a six calls from nearly every area in our state and ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Police officers association?

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

I don't know how we got on the list but we have had about a six calls from nearly every area in our state and they all claim to be from some police association.
    Today the number on the machine said that it was a local call. " Hello I'm Joe from the police officers association and we are--------." By that time I am asking Joe what police department are you with?
    He stops for a minute but then continues. I ask again " what department are you with Joe?" He doesn't even attempt to answer so I tell him-- l don't think you are a cop Joe I think that you are a phony S.O.B.
    Then I hang up.
    They can't answer my question and claim to be a police officer or they know that they would be in trouble for impersonating a police officer.
    OldChap, Sister, airslot and 2 others like this.

None of these callers are really LEOs.
    None of the solicitations are from real LEO associations, or real firefighter associations either.
    Almost all of the money collected goes to the group or business which makes the solicitations, and not to any LEO or firefighter association.

Want proof?
    Just tell the caller that if he will send you the state-mandated charity-identification card, you'll make a donation when you receive it.
    The identification card will never arrive.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

I just tell them I do not make any contributions over the phone, and if they claim to be from the Sheriffs Association they are informed that due to their adamant refusal to do away the pistol purchase permit I will never support them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    I have a couple of standard responses to phone solicitations. If it's a recorded or canned recitation, I tell the caller I have a finite number of charities I support, and theirs isn't one of them.

I use the other if I'm mildly interested. "Since you have my phone number [land line], you must have my address. Please mail me information about your organization, and then I will make an informed choice about whether to support it." Big surprise, I've NEVER had a mailed response.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

flh
    My grandfather loved it when a solicitor would call , he made a game out of it , he would try to engage them in conversations about current events , the weather etc , his goal was to keep them on the line as long as possible if I remember correctly 20 minutes was his record...

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I tell them the same thing. Fundraising and administrative expenses too high, program spending too low. They never know what to say. Itís like, how do he know that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OldChap and GpTom like this.

If the caller is not one of my contacts, or I donít know the number, I donít answer.

Every time you answer, you are verified as a working number for another list sold to a new solicitor.
    TimBob, Cypher, msgt/ret and 10 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I worked as a telemarketer for 3 months or so after I got out of the Army. A couple of things I learned were that the predictive dialer dials random numbers, some of them aren't even phone numbers but if you pick up that phone they know they have a real number and they will continue to call it.

The second thing I learned was to be polite to telemarketers. I don't care about the "Do not call list" because I'm not the one paying the 10,000 dollar fine. If you treat me like a human being and asked me to put you on the DNC I would, I didn't care iI was going to get paid with you got called or not but if you scream in my ear and cuss me out I will put your number right back in the que, list you as high interest or "wants more information" and list whatever dinner time in your time zone is for best call back time. If you put me on hold and left me there I am sitting at a computer screen with all your information in front of it. I will sign you up for every promotion my company offers. I will make sure you get a never-ending supply of junk mail. I will list you as high interest for everything I sign you up for. I got paid by the hour I didn't care I'd sit there on hold all day long.

I called a home one morning (late afternoon where they were at) selling credit cards. The person who answered the phone told me that the person I was calling was his domestic partner and that his partner wasn't interested in my GD credit cards. He was pretty nasty about it so I went straight into script mode:*

"Thank you sir, because the offer was in Mr. Soandso's name I would need to speak directly with him. Is there a convenient time I could call back?"

No matter what he said I just kept repeating that line. 10 minutes later, when he hung up he was literally SCREAMING into the phone and threatening to hunt me down and kill me.

To which I continued to reply:

"Thank you sir, because the offer was in Mr. Soandso's name I would need to speak directly with him. Is there a convenient time I could call back?"

When he hung up I put him right back in Que and kicked it up to "Wants more information" another*telemarketer*probably called him back before I finished my next call.

Last thing, piss off a scammer and your phone WILL NOT ever stop ringing. They will put your number on a robodialer and it will call you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

If my phone rings and I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If the caller doesn't leave a message I pull the call up in my call log and set my phone to automatically blocks calls from that number. My phone is a cheap Samsung Galaxy if it has that feature I know the more expensive ones do.
    oldIthink likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I worked as a telemarketer for 3 months or so after I got out of the Army. A couple of things I learned were that the predictive dialer dials random numbers, some of them aren't even phone numbers but if you pick up that phone they know they have a real number and they will continue to call it.

The second thing I learned was to be polite to telemarketers. I don't care about the "Do not call list" because I'm not the one paying the 10,000 dollar fine. If you treat me like a human being and asked me to put you on the DNC I would, I didn't care iI was going to get paid with you got called or not but if you scream in my ear and cuss me out I will put your number right back in the que, list you as high interest or "wants more information" and list whatever dinner time in your time zone is for best call back time. If you put me on hold and left me there I am sitting at a computer screen with all your information in front of it. I will sign you up for every promotion my company offers. I will make sure you get a never-ending supply of junk mail. I will list you as high interest for everything I sign you up for. I got paid by the hour I didn't care I'd sit there on hold all day long.

I called a home one morning (late afternoon where they were at) selling credit cards. The person who answered the phone told me that the person I was calling was his domestic partner and that his partner wasn't interested in my GD credit cards. He was pretty nasty about it so I went straight into script mode:*

No matter what he said I just kept repeating that line. 10 minutes later, when he hung up he was literally SCREAMING into the phone and threatening to hunt me down and kill me.

To which I continued to reply:

When he hung up I put him right back in Que and kicked it up to "Wants more information" another*telemarketer*probably called him back before I finished my next call.

Last thing, piss off a scammer and your phone WILL NOT ever stop ringing. They will put your number on a robodialer and it will call you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

If my phone rings and I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If the caller doesn't leave a message I pull the call up in my call log and set my phone to automatically blocks calls from that number. My phone is a cheap Samsung Galaxy if it has that feature I know the more expensive ones do.
    I make a motion for keel hauling. Do I have a second?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Second. Drawing and quartering would work too.
    msgt/ret, OldChap, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Remember this was before I became a Christian.

I didn't put it in my last post but let me say it here; the easiest way to get telemarketers quit calling you is to quit answering the phone.

The guy on the other end of the line didn't dial your number. He's sitting at a computer screen that's connected to a predictive dialer that is a literally spitting out 10-digit random numbers starting with whatever area code they're calling that day. It's only going to dial your number a set number of times with no response before it drops you off the list. BUT if you pick up the phone, as I mentioned before, the dialer knows it's a real phone number and it will continue to call you.

My first post was originally posted elsewhere(by me) but it's still true. My phone is set up so that if you're not on my contact list your call goes straight to voicemail. My phone never even rings.

When your call goes to voicemail there is a gap between the time the phone picks up and the recording starts. The predictive dialer is programmed to recognize the gap and if it hears it it will hang up. Again, it's only going to do that a set number of times before it drops your number the list.

I'm not sure exactly how to say this because I'm going to sound like a jerk no matter how I say it but once you pick up the phone you've given the power to the telemarketer and if you do some of the things that you guys are talking about like yelling at him or handing the phone to your baby or putting the phone in front of your stereo or blowing a whistle, he's going to hit the mute button so you don't hear him laughing and then he's going to put your number on as many lists as he can get it on.

And again I don't care about the the do not call list because I'm not going to be the one paying the fine and they're never going to know I'm the one that called you.

I did some inbound work also for a while before I got to the point where I just couldn't do it anymore and I would have people call me up and start the conversation by screaming at me and telling me what an ass I was.

When they did that I would tell them how very sorry I was but that wasn't my department and if they'd let me put them on hold for just a second I'd transfer them to the right people. Then I put them on hold while I called "the right people" and told them what a jerk you were being.

They'd leave you on hold for 5 or 10 minutes and then they'd start it all over again. They tell you how terribly sorry they were for your inconvenience and tell you that there are escalating your call to management to get it taken care of immediately because we don't want to lose a good customer like you.

You're going to be on hold for another 20 minutes somewhere along the line somebody will accidentally hit a F8 on their computer and drop you completely out of the cycle and hang up on you and you get to start it all over again.

I had a guy call me up one night and I don't remember what his complaint was but at some point he threatened to sue me / the company. Never do that, because as soon as you do I literally cannot talk to you anymore. All the telemarketer is allowed to do at that point is give you the contact information for the legal department. So the guy called me screaming, cussing, yelling then he said he was going to sue.

So I gave him the contact information to the legal department and told him he'd have to contact them by mail. He threw a fit. He screamed he yelled he cussed at me he called mymother the Whore of Babylon and while he was doing all that I was in his account changing his passwords and passcodes so that he couldn't get in it.

Once I gave him the information to contact the legal department I couldn't hang up so I just quit talking and hit emergency so the whole call was recorded and let them listen to him scream for the next 20 minutes before he finally hung up. I was getting paid by the hour as long as I had to deal with him I didn't have to deal with the next guy in line.

So again if you don't want calls from telemarketers don't answer the phone if you want a telemarketer to do something for you be polite. Treat him like a human being chances are he'll do whatever you ask.
    Last edited by Cypher; December 7th, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
    GpTom likes this.

This is a hilarious response to a telemarketer:

Nmuskier, OldChap and tns0038 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Ex Member
    I get my share of the phones calls too. I once tied to cut off a caller and she would not stop talking. Then she asked if I wanted more info so I said yes. That was when I reAlized her entire spiel was a recoding and the system connects you to a person. When I was connected I asked the person why they were calling the FBI. They hung up.

This is free for landlines.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

I've had it for a couple of years and it doesn't eliminate every singe robocall, but it blocks the vast majority. A new telemarketer number will ring once, then it goes on the dead list.
    5lima30ret, OldVet and OldChap like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I don't know how we got on the list but we have had about a six calls from nearly every area in our state and they all claim to be from some police association.
    Today the number on the machine said that it was a local call. " Hello I'm Joe from the police officers association and we are--------." By that time I am asking Joe what police department are you with?
    He stops for a minute but then continues. I ask again " what department are you with Joe?" He doesn't even attempt to answer so I tell him-- l don't think you are a cop Joe I think that you are a phony S.O.B.
    Then I hang up.
    They can't answer my question and claim to be a police officer or they know that they would be in trouble for impersonating a police officer.
    Yep,I get them all the too.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links