The Iranians didn't listen - Page 4

The Iranians didn't listen

This is a discussion on The Iranians didn't listen within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by druryj From even before that; when I was on Diego Garcia, (and we were very interested in Bandar Abbas then too) way ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree482Likes

Thread: The Iranians didn't listen

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    From even before that; when I was on Diego Garcia, (and we were very interested in Bandar Abbas then too) way back in either late 1979 or early 1980 for just a few days, as part of a Marine Expeditionary Unit afloat in response to the Iranian Hostage Crisis, there was nothing there but some wild burros, a few lonely, and even wilder-looking SEABEES, these weird little crabs that were fearless and would literally attack you as you sat in the sand trying to eat your MRE or change your socks, and a Giant Hammerhead Shark that lived in the bay that the SEABEES had named Herman. I was the Recon Platoon Commander attached to a BLT (Battalion Landing Team) at the time. We had planned to do a training dive off the ship (Ft Snelling) and the Ship's Captain had offered us his gig from which to execute it. The appearance of Herman lurking just beneath the surface too near the small craft and appearing to be at least as big, put the kabosh on that idea though and we ended up just doing an IBS (Inflatable Boat, Small or Itty Bitty Ship) insert to recon the beach from the shore and send back SURFREPS and such whilst swatting at these deranged crabs. On a side note, they do make a funny sight when dusted with a snapped-open chem-lite as they swarmed around clicking and clacking at us Marines lying in the sand. I saw no burger bars or customer-oriented facilities of any kind...just the SEABEEs checking on us for liquor, the burros sort of just wandering around, and those damn crabs. I bet Herman grew fat from the swill the SEABEES dumped in the water for him. At the time, I imagine a posting to Diego was the SEABEE equivalent of being banished to hell for 6 months.

But to steer us back on track, that's when our troubles with Iraq really ramped up. 40 years of them doing as they wish in terms of being at the top of the terrorist heap. Oh you can bet that Bandar Abbas was in our crosshairs then, just as I imagine it is now. But as everyone knows, we didn't get the word to get in the game. We waited and waited aboard our ships for the call to go ashore in a manner Marines do well, assisted by our Naval Shipmates of course who serve to get us from welldeck to beach. But we just floated around the Indian Ocean as our politicians back home sat helplessly by, wringing their hands as the Iranians held our 52 American Hostages until moments after Carter left office and Reagan was sworn in.
    My Brother was 2nd ANGLICO at that time (1979) FAC team ....I wonder if he shared the same sand as you.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Airliner went down in Iran last night, coincidence?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukrain...180-passengers
    Iran says will not release the black box. Reporting an engine fire took it down. Mechanical failure.
    But the planes captain could not communicate with the tower for minutes before crash.
    Perhaps some trigger happy camel jockey thought that Trump was sending in the stealth bombers and got nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    And so they shall..................I believe we're waiting for Iran's next move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Iranians didn't listen-20160401_121559.jpg  

karencpnp likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Next move will not be directly from Iran. Their military is saving face, reporting to their people that they have killed over 80 US soldiers.
    Next move will be from their proxy militia groups in Iraq, remember we took out one of their leader also.
    Trump should tell Iran, due to the fact that you fund these groups, any attack from them we will consider an attack by your country and hold you responsible and retaliate accordingly.
    If you hire the hit man, you also get convicted of murder. No difference

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Iran says will not release the black box. Reporting an engine fire took it down. Mechanical failure.
    But the planes captain could not communicate with the tower for minutes before crash.
    Perhaps some trigger happy camel jockey thought that Trump was sending in the stealth bombers and got nervous.
    This was my first thought as well as my wife's. It was shot down "accidentally".
    msgt/ret, OD*, CLASS3NH and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Remember the "Arab Spring", when millions of Iranians who were fed up with the Mullahs demonstrated in the streets? Wouldn't it have been great if Barrack and Hillary had supported THAT attempted revolution, the way they supported Islamists in Libya and Syria? But they didn't even utter a word of support. Kind of makes you wonder why? Maybe some of that 147 billion that Obama sent Iran came back in a thank you note?
    OD*, CLASS3NH, airslot and 1 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    From even before that; when I was on Diego Garcia, (and we were very interested in Bandar Abbas then too) way back in either late 1979 or early 1980 for just a few days, as part of a Marine Expeditionary Unit afloat in response to the Iranian Hostage Crisis, there was nothing there but some wild burros, a few lonely, and even wilder-looking SEABEES, these weird little crabs that were fearless and would literally attack you as you sat in the sand trying to eat your MRE or change your socks, and a Giant Hammerhead Shark that lived in the bay that the SEABEES had named Herman. I was the Recon Platoon Commander attached to a BLT (Battalion Landing Team) at the time. We had planned to do a training dive off the ship (Ft Snelling) and the Ship's Captain had offered us his gig from which to execute it. The appearance of Herman lurking just beneath the surface too near the small craft and appearing to be at least as big, put the kabosh on that idea though and we ended up just doing an IBS (Inflatable Boat, Small or Itty Bitty Ship) insert to recon the beach from the shore and send back SURFREPS and such whilst swatting at these deranged crabs. On a side note, they do make a funny sight when dusted with a snapped-open chem-lite as they swarmed around clicking and clacking at us Marines lying in the sand. I saw no burger bars or customer-oriented facilities of any kind...just the SEABEEs checking on us for liquor, the burros sort of just wandering around, and those damn crabs. I bet Herman grew fat from the swill the SEABEES dumped in the water for him. At the time, I imagine a posting to Diego was the SEABEE equivalent of being banished to hell for 6 months.

But to steer us back on track, that's when our troubles with Iraq really ramped up. 40 years of them doing as they wish in terms of being at the top of the terrorist heap. Oh you can bet that Bandar Abbas was in our crosshairs then, just as I imagine it is now. But as everyone knows, we didn't get the word to get in the game. We waited and waited aboard our ships for the call to go ashore in a manner Marines do well, assisted by our Naval Shipmates of course who serve to get us from welldeck to beach. But we just floated around the Indian Ocean as our politicians back home sat helplessly by, wringing their hands as the Iranians held our 52 American Hostages until moments after Carter left office and Reagan was sworn in.
    My first trip to Diego Garcia was way back in 1975 on C-141s, back then they had a 7500 foot runway around 400 Seabees and an equal number of donkeys. I do remember Hector but when the Navy started blasting the lagoon I to create a deep water the shark was either killed or left the lagoon. Fast forward to 1987 when I made my last Double Diego Shuttle they had two 13500 runways and thousands of personnel both ashore and on ships anchored off shore.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    My Brother was 2nd ANGLICO at that time (1979) FAC team ....I wonder if he shared the same sand as you.
    Very well may have. Ask him if he was in the MEU that went to the Indian Ocean and Diego Garcia in late 79 then floated around for some six long months. If he was, find out what ship, if he remembers, and then let me know please? You could also PM me his name and give him mine. (Not hard to figure out).
    Joel
    (DRURYJ)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CLASS3NH likes this.

This seems pertinent:

I guess we shall see how well it aged here in the next hour once PDJT takes the podium.
    airslot and viney266 like this.

VIP Member
    Pictures of the fuselage today seem to show shrapnel damage from outside the aircraft. Could be from an exploding engine, but it could also be from a nervous surface to air battery with a hair trigger finger.
    ugh762x39, airslot and CLASS3NH like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Pictures of the fuselage today seem to show shrapnel damage from outside the aircraft. Could be from an exploding engine, but it could also be from a nervous surface to air battery with a hair trigger finger.
    I havenít read much on this, but the little bit I have read seems to make engine failure seem unlikely. Iím going with the theory that someone thought they were about to get Hiroshimaíd.
    ugh762x39 and spclopr8tr like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Yet again I feel like the Persians have made an excellent well-calculated political move that we cannot effectively counter because we are internally weak. They have managed to create an appearance of being a victim, having the ability and willingness to enact a dramatic military response, and they measuring it in such a way as to avoid any US casualties, thus negating any possibility of response that would not be viewed as excessive. Given our internal political climate of Trump-blaming and congressional indecision this was a brilliant move. They attacked the US military, and will not be punished in any way. They can now quell internal tension, appear stronger on the global stage, and all it cost them were a few missiles that were aimed deliberately to miss (most likely). At the same time they will contribute to our internal strife, as the Democrat party will now literally betray our interests to support our enemies. I mean they may be our enemy, but you've got to hand it to their intelligence, military, and diplomatic corps.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Yet again I feel like the Persians have made an excellent well-calculated political move that we cannot effectively counter because we are internally weak. They have managed to create an appearance of being a victim, having the ability and willingness to enact a dramatic military response, and they measuring it in such a way as to avoid any US casualties, thus negating any possibility of response that would not be viewed as excessive. Given our internal political climate of Trump-blaming and congressional indecision this was a brilliant move. They attacked the US military, and will not be punished in any way. They can now quell internal tension, appear stronger on the global stage, and all it cost them were a few missiles that were aimed deliberately to miss (most likely). At the same time they will contribute to our internal strife, as the Democrat party will now literally betray our interests to support our enemies. I mean they may be our enemy, but you've got to hand it to their intelligence, military, and diplomatic corps.
    Huh? An American contractor is killed and we respond by killing over 2 dozen terrorists. An embassy is attacked with a future attack being planned and we kill the Iranian equivalent of the CIA director. Iran responds by firing off some rockets at a base, that would be a non story if not for the events leading up to it, and we view Soleimanis death as worth it, and somehow we appear weak?
    maxwell97, airslot and Risasi like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar

The Iranians didn't listen

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    My first trip to Diego Garcia was way back in 1975 on C-141s, back then they had a 7500 foot runway around 400 Seabees and an equal number of donkeys. I do remember Hector but when the Navy started blasting the lagoon I to create a deep water the shark was either killed or left the lagoon. Fast forward to 1987 when I made my last Double Diego Shuttle they had two 13500 runways and thousands of personnel both ashore and on ships anchored off shore.
    Well if he was killed, he had a brother. And was it Hector or Herman? I could be wrong if youíre sure it was Hector. Then again, Herman could be Hectorís brother too I suppose. That fish I saw was a good 15-16 ft long and his hammer shaped head was enormous. I was easily convinced we didnít need to do a requal dive in his lagoon that day, regardless of what his dang name was.
    No sir, it suddenly became more important that we review and conduct SURFREP training instead, from well up out of the surf zone, on dry land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret and kerberos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Huh? An American contractor is killed and we respond by killing over 2 dozen terrorists. An embassy is attacked with a future attack being planned and we kill the Iranian equivalent of the CIA director. Iran responds by firing off some rockets at a base, that would be a non story if not for the events leading up to it, and we view Soleimanis death as worth it, and somehow we appear weak?
    The reality has nothing to do with appearance. Watch CNN and BBC today and tell me that's not exactly what it sounds like.
    LimaCharlie and airslot like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links