Could U.S. Gun Owners Defeat Their Own Government in Battle?

This is a discussion on Could U.S. Gun Owners Defeat Their Own Government in Battle? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not advocating for this at all, but I think this is an interesting analysis by the head of the Idaho Second Amendment Alliance. ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree316Likes

Thread: Could U.S. Gun Owners Defeat Their Own Government in Battle?

I am not advocating for this at all, but I think this is an interesting analysis by the head of the Idaho Second Amendment Alliance.

Gun grabbers often ask, “What do you need an AR-15/AK-47 for?”

Other than it not being any of their business, let’s discuss some of the reality behind why we own any weapon.

A gun owner would typically respond to the above question with several reasons that he/she would want/need an AR-15, which would include the ability to fight back against a tyrannical government.

This response would elicit laughter and mockery from the anti-2A crowd.

https://nwgunnews.com/could-u-s-gun-...74N1EzJEuzcgl0
    "The end of your muzzle and a penis have something in common. If you don't know where they're at all the time, you're going to get in trouble, regardless of your gender." Clint Smith

You are your own first responder.

VIP Member
    #4 "How likely is the government to be willing to destroy its own country?" Looking at many of the politicians today I'd say Very.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I was privy to some of the think-tank scenarios discussing how to defeat a 4 million man army in the field. The conclusion was that you would need to cross the tactical nuclear threshold to do so. Multiply that number of armed people by 5 or 10 and it becomes necessary to just lay waste to large sections of countryside for 50-75 years. That is one of those factors that make fighting such a war untenable.

Those old studies are not classified, but their conclusions nevertheless are still valid.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    My short answer is no, I don't believe gun owners would prevail against the US military in a civil insurrection.
    Chicagobill and duane_wade like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My short answer is no, I don't believe gun owners would prevail against the US military in a civil insurrection.
    Sounds oddly familiar. "I don't believe gun owners would prevail against the British military in a civil insurrection."
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    "Mutually Assured Destruction"
    No one wins, nothing of value left when it's over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Wolverines!
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

The first hurdle that we in America have is with our standard of living here vs say Afghanastan, Iraq or similar countries, we have a lot more to lose. That is an anchor that holds things down. The government itself can undermine that with economic and/or social policies. And they seem to keep pushing those very issues don't they?
    Once the populace feels they have little to lose insurgency is very hard to fight.
    The question then becomes will those with evil designs push their real policies of tyranny before they effectively disarm the populace which would be unwise or be patient and wait until they are disarmed? It seems the current Democrat Party has lost patience.
    Note even if disarmed all is not lost as weapons can be made as in Afghanastn vs Russia or seized from arsenals. Which is definitely more costly to the populace. Or purchased/provided by enemies of the state.
    As for the American Citizens chances once engaged, I would harken back to Admiral Yamamoto's thoughts after Pearl Harbor, "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Wolverines!
    I still love that movie!
    CLASS3NH, msgt/ret and duane_wade like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Sounds oddly familiar. "I don't believe gun owners would prevail against the British military in a civil insurrection."
    Or multiple examples throughout history from Alexander the Great in Afghanistan, the Brits, Russians and now us in Afghanistan. Us in Vietnam. Heck, how long have the Turks been fighting PKK?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    By and large, today's Americans have become no-heart, no-fight loudmouths. Two out of three don't even own a gun. Hunting is something they have never considered, let alone actually practiced. Few have ever been in so much as a fist-fight, let alone a firefight. Turn off their water, power and internet for a week and they will be begging for mercy. Our military, otoh has twenty years of continuous deployments under its belt.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I doubt most folks would want to risk the things that are most important to them, like their 401k's and dental insurance and unlimited cellular plans, to launch a determined and sustained insurrection. To have a really good insurrection, I think you need folks who don't have anything else to lose.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Hard to argue with that. I'd think nearly half the population is in cities with no way to really fend for themselves defensively or to provide for themselves the basic necessities of life. I'm sure our enemies know this as well. We've become soft - sort of like Rome with a standing Army.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

In our original break from Briton the arms used by both sides were equal. The difference was in numbers and the length of the Brit's supply lines. That would not be the case today. Also, C3 would be a problem for the militias although I think that might be mitigated somewhat through the use of independent cells. Intel might be available via LE or Military who choose to remain in place while secretly having allegiance to the partisans.

I believe it might be doable but it for sure would be ugly.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    To have a really good insurrection, I think you need folks who don't have anything else to lose.
    Boy, I don't know about that. The leaders of the American Revolution were for the most part not poor men. Neither were the leaders of the Confederacy. In those cases I think it was more that people who already had quite a lot felt it was threatened.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links