Family Sues DEA and TSA After Elderly Man's Life Savings Were Seized at Airport

This is a discussion on Family Sues DEA and TSA After Elderly Man's Life Savings Were Seized at Airport within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Terrence Rolin kept his life savings in a Tupperware container, but all that money now belongs to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), even though the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Family Sues DEA and TSA After Elderly Man's Life Savings Were Seized at Airport

Terrence Rolin kept his life savings in a Tupperware container, but all that money now belongs to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), even though the 79-year-old retired railroad engineer hasn't been charged with a crime.

When Rolin's daughter, Rebecca Brown, tried to take her fathers' savings—$82,373 in cash—on an airplane, a DEA agent seized it simply because large amounts of cash are considered suspicious by the agency.

https://reason.com/2020/01/16/family...ed-at-airport/

Don’t think of it as a confiscation. Think of it as a tax on stupidity.
    dartor, Struckat and baren like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    On TSA and DEA's parts?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Well, that does it for me! No more Tupperware in the safe, in the bank deposit box, and certainly not on any airplanes. I'll carry my cash the old fashioned ways, enough in my pocket for a day or two of travelling around, the rest in a good money belt with no metal parts to ding the screening machines.

By the way, in response to the above post by HotBrass45, a 79-year old man was born in about 1940 or so, probably to parents who had recently survived the Great Depression with most of the banks going through failures (no deposit insurance in those days, either) and absolutely zero trust in banks or the government. Sounds like the man learned a lot from his parents, including zero trust in government.

So if someone does not like banks and keeps cash, they are stupid?

It is NONE of the Government's business how much money anyone carries. If they suspect you of a crime, by all means they should investigate and charge you, but to just take someones money and tell them to prove it was not proceeds from crime is wrong.

We are innocent until proven guilty in this country. That is how our system of Justice was designed.

I’ll have to research it but I think if you are transporting more than $10,000 in cash it must be declared courtesy of the “war on drugs”.

Found a reference but it applies to international flights.

Limits on Carrying Cash

Although there's technically no legal limit on how much money you can carry on a plane, if you're traveling internationally you must declare amounts of more than $10,000 on your customs form, fill out form FinCEN 105, and be prepared for possible interviews with law enforcement to explain the amount of money you're carrying.
    https://traveltips.usatoday.com/trav...cash-9937.html
    airslot, baren, ETXhiker and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

My M-in-L has impressed into her sons' brains to not trust banks, no credit cards (tools of the devil). Saving are either cash or CDs and to keep only enough in checking to cover the next few checks being written. Stocks and bonds will rob you blind. Never invest because then the government knows how much you have. Their money is literally hidden in mayo jars in the backyard. And they wonder why they cannot get ahead in life.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post

It is NONE of the Government's business how much money anyone carries. If they suspect you of a crime, by all means they should investigate and charge you, but to just take someones money and tell them to prove it was not proceeds from crime is wrong.

We are innocent until proven guilty in this country. That is how our system of Justice was designed.
    He lost $82,373 in cash. Yep, that's stupid in my book. He has a right to be stupid, but there it is. Forget the government, he is mostly stupid in that he could easily get robbed. If he had gotten that money stolen, all the posters on this thread would have been saying how stupid he was. We are only up on arms because the government did it.

You don't have to have a bank, you could get a money order or a cashier's check. Heck, He could have sent the money in a UPS box and it would have been safer. I feel sorry for the guy, but he is a dolt. And his daughter should have known better.
    baren likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    He lost $82,373 in cash. Yep, that's stupid in my book. He has a right to be stupid, but there it is. Forget the government, he is mostly stupid in that he could easily get robbed. If he had gotten that money stolen, all the posters on this thread would have been saying how stupid he was. We are only up on arms because the government did it.

You don't have to have a bank, you could get a money order or a cashier's check. Heck, He could have sent the money in a UPS box and it would have been safer. I feel sorry for the guy, but he is a dolt. And his daughter should have known better.
    Did you miss the part where his daughter said he doesn't trust banks?

We have rights in this country.

Absent commission of a crime and conviction in court, it doesn't matter how stupid anyone thinks it is.

As far as easily getting robbed, he was robbed, by the government.

But, you know what the worst part is? Those on here that are supposedly for gun rights that have no regard for all the other rights we have.

Asset forfeiture has been being abused for a long time now. One would think a this man's money would be recoverable through the courts but at his age he might not live to see it happen. Just another sign of how far we've fallen!
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Did you miss the part where his daughter said he doesn't trust banks?

We have rights in this country.

Absent commission of a crime and conviction in court, it doesn't matter how stupid anyone thinks it is.

As far as easily getting robbed, he was robbed, by the government.

But, you know what the worst part is? Those on here that are supposedly for gun rights that have no regard for all the other rights we have.
    I said he had a right to be stupid. I have every regard for his right to do what he did. But common sense: He doesn't trust banks, but he trusts TSA? And he trusts his fellow travelers? I agree the government should not have taken his money and should give it back. I would also say a robber should not have taken his money. That doesn't make him any less stupid.

I should be able to walk through the 'hood yelling racial obscenities and not get the crap beat out of me or arrested. It's my 1A right. But it would be really stupid.
    airslot, HotBrass45 and baren like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Somehow, someway, I don't think the government's losing any sleep over this. I have a hunch that they're laughing and rubbing their hands together and saying "next!".
    Government is not so much for the people anymore here in the land of the free and home of the brave.
    Give the old guy back his money and then try to actually catch some bad guys and quit frisking our old people and little kids while your at it. Stereotype somebody for goodness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Asset forfeiture has been being abused for a long time now. One would think a this man's money would be recoverable through the courts but at his age he might not live to see it happen. Just another sign of how far we've fallen!
    Asset forfeiture is simply theft by the police. And often it costs more to recover one's stolen property than its value. Along with all the 2A infringements, this would be top of my list of laws to be revoked.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Robbery can be answered with deadly force. Too bad the man wasn't armed.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Stupid or not...there is no excuse for government confiscation of private property without justification. The DEA's confiscate above $5,000 policy is beyond the pale. You should really read the complaint.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links