Wearing of Balaclavas when on standard duty?

This is a discussion on Wearing of Balaclavas when on standard duty? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fox just posted this photo of the Richmond Capitol rally showing Virginia State troopers standing near a security checkpoint at the Capitol grounds in Richmond. ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Wearing of Balaclavas when on standard duty?

VIP Member

Fox just posted this photo of the Richmond Capitol rally showing Virginia State troopers standing near a security checkpoint at the Capitol grounds in Richmond.

When did it become ok for LEOs to wear masks (which is illegal in many southern states for anyone over 12yo (GA) in public due to anti-KKK laws)? Seriously, are balaclavas ok in your mind for LEOs?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Puts them in the same category as ANTIFA in my book, that's about as low as it can get.

Sent from the phone
    Struckat, sdprof, craze and 4 others like this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Come on...They are heading out skiing....really, they are.
    PPS1980, DZUS and surefire7 like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

In the NYPD they allowed balaclavas in the 1990's. Before that we could only wear a turtleneck, plus a wool dickie to stay warm. They came in handy when you had to stand on a foot post in the freezing cold for 8-16 hours at a time with only a 1 hour break the entire shift, but they only kept you so warm. I'm sure that Cops in northern/colder areas try to bundle up and stay warm, too. BTW, the Officers have their name tags and shield numbers proudly displayed on the front of their uniforms, so any anti-Police type person can make a complaint against them if they want? The Officers are trying to stay warm, unlike many perpetrators that cover up their faces to commit a crime.---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Looks like the temps there are in the low 30's. Maybe they're not trying to conceal faces, but just keep warm? I notice in that photo some folks with hoods up.

Myself? 35 degrees is North Pole weather - fit for neither man nor beast.

I'm trying to put the best face on this. I can't feature they want to do anything to aggravate things. It looks like the crowd is several orders of magnitude beyond what any police force in the country could control - should they become really angry.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
    In the NYPD they allowed balaclavas in the 1990's. Before that we could only wear a turtleneck, plus a wool dickie to stay warm. They came in handy when you had to stand on a foot post in the freezing cold for 8-16 hours at a time with only a 1 hour break the entire shift, but they only kept you so warm. I'm sure that Cops in northern/colder areas try to bundle up and stay warm, too. BTW, the Officers have their name tags and shield numbers proudly displayed on the front of their uniforms, so any anti-Police type person can make a complaint against them if they want? The Officers are trying to stay warm, unlike many perpetrators that cover up their faces to commit a crime.---Sturgis
    I get staying warm. I'll have to take your word for the "name tags and shield numbers proudly displayed on the front of their uniforms" because in the two instances I saw uniformed officers wearing balaclavas their vests were marked only "Police" or "FBI".

Didn't it get this cold in the past, you know - before LEOs hid their faces?

Please note I said "on standard duty" because I do make allowances for no-knock warrants and other very highly dangerous duties where the fear of retaliation is very high.
    airslot and Nmuskier like this.

FWIW, a lot of the LE Balaclavas are made of nomex to prevent burns to the exposed face and neck areas when wearing gas masks especially when it is likely to be going to "hats & bats" mode. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    FWIW, a lot of the LE Balaclavas are made of nomex to prevent burns to the exposed face and neck areas when wearing gas masks especially when it is likely to be going to "hats & bats" mode. Just my .02 worth!
    I hear you. If a riot breaks out, fine. If they are ordered to put on hats & bats/shield, fine. For standing on line, it strikes me as a pure intimidation move. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I hear you. If a riot breaks out, fine. If they are ordered to put on hats & bats/shield, fine. For standing on line, it strikes me as a pure intimidation move. YMMV.
    I respectfully disagree! Ask anyone who has had to stand on that "line" and go to hats and bats they will disagree! I have had urine/ fecal matter thrown on my face with no facial protection. A nomex balclava would have helped had we had them available. This would be considered PPE. Just my .02 worth based on my experiences not your perceptions!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm of two minds on this.
    I have two sons that are Leos, and have to stand posts. When you are forced to stand a post for hours at a time the cold can get to be a problem. Being allowed to move around and maybe rotate in and out of the buildings would help but that is not standing a post. So I support them in anything it takes to keep warm.

But the last few decades we [this country] has been moving more and more to make our Leo's look and act as a Military. I miss the days when the cops were from the neighborhood I lived in. I would see them daily dropping there kids off at school, Picking up grocery's, at church, etc... Everyone knows them.
    Except for small groups with legitimate reasons, I want to know the cops in my area. And I want them to know who I am. We should be on a first name basis.

I'm still hoping this goes off with out a bang! Show the nation that we are a reasonable bunch of Individuals! DR

Would they be ok with everyone else wearing them? If the answer is no, then no it is not ok in my opinion.
    We get the government we deserve.

Well, I donít know what the temperature was up there but, down in NC it was in the low 30ís to high 20ís. Probably a little colder this morning, up there.
    OldChap and duane_wade like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm of two minds on this.
    I have two sons that are Leos, and have to stand posts. When you are forced to stand a post for hours at a time the cold can get to be a problem. Being allowed to move around and maybe rotate in and out of the buildings would help but that is not standing a post. So I support them in anything it takes to keep warm.

But the last few decades we [this country] has been moving more and more to make our Leo's look and act as a Military. I miss the days when the cops were from the neighborhood I lived in. I would see them daily dropping there kids off at school, Picking up grocery's, at church, etc... Everyone knows them.
    Except for small groups with legitimate reasons, I want to know the cops in my area. And I want them to know who I am. We should be on a first name basis.

I'm still hoping this goes off with out a bang! Show the nation that we are a reasonable bunch of Individuals! DR
    We used to have the beat Cops that covered the same area every day. Back then it was called CPOP ( Community Policing ) and a lot of the locals liked it, plus we were able to gain important crime info from the local residents/shop owners. Unfortunately budget cuts changed things. Before I worked in plain clothes ( a different version of under cover ) covering 12 Pcts at one time, I worked in Uniform in a Sector Car in 2 very busy Pcts that each had 400 Officers assigned to the Command. Budget cuts reduced the number of Officers and now those same Pcts only have about 200 Officers doing the same work that 400 did. That means foot posts/beat Cops are gone and everybody is running around from job to job in a Sector Car with half of their usual man power and there's very little time to actually talk to the locals in your Pct. That basically means we can't get to every incident as fast as we or the victims would like and that causes some friction with the locals. I miss the old days when I could walk down the street twirling my nightstick, smoking a cigar, talking to everybody on my foot post like Bumper Morgan from the old TV show, but those days went the way of the Dodo.---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I got no problem with it.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
    BTW, the Officers have their name tags and shield numbers proudly displayed on the front of their uniforms, so any anti-Police type person can make a complaint against them if they want? The Officers are trying to stay warm, unlike many perpetrators that cover up their faces to commit a crime.---Sturgis
    I could only find three pictures on articles about the rally showing the front of the officers that are dressed like that. I don't see identification for name and badge number - especially on the last one which is the best view. It seems the vest is covering any identification that would be on their uniform.

Name:  WTTG_RichmondGunRightsRally-12.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  15.3 KB
    Name:  WTTG_RichmondGunRightsRally-14.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.7 KB
    Wearing of Balaclavas when on standard duty?-00front.jpg
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links