Just another morning in the Big Easy

This is a discussion on Just another morning in the Big Easy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to New Orleans for a quick weekend trip with the wife to meet some friends. Got up early Saturday morning to walk the French ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Just another morning in the Big Easy

VIP Member

Went to New Orleans for a quick weekend trip with the wife to meet some friends.
    Got up early Saturday morning to walk the French Quarter and find some breakfast.
    Was on St. Louis near Dauphine and heard shots being fired.
    I was just up the street from an officer involved shooting.
    Some guy was waving a gun pointing it at some folks cops showed up real quick, he would not put gun down.
    Not sure who fired first but 3 out of the 4 cops lit him up. Could not count the number of rounds fired.
    Guy was taken to hospital with a chest wound.
    I just hugged the wall by a storefront, not much in the way of barriers to get behind with my hand on my 1911.
    As soon as the shots quit, I just double timed my old butt out of the area.
    Good thing it was New Orleans as I was able to get a drink at 0800. Needed something stronger than coffee.

When I lived in New Orleans back in the early 80s it had one of the highest murder rates in the nation. The only thing I liked about the city was the food.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Had a friend who was a dairy farmer here in Jerzy....took his wife to NYC for her birthday, show and dinner...…. yup, gun shots ring out and just down the street at Sparks Steak House.... the Godfather Paul Costalano was gunned down on the street in front of the restaurant.....Mob hit.....ya just never know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I remember walking down Bourbon Street one night back about 1960. I was eight and my family was having to overnight there on a trip to Acapulco. My folks were cool with letting me peek into the bars and all. Pretty thrilling for an eight-year-old. No one shot at us that I know of.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yup. It’s a tough town. I was deployed there for Katrina in 05. It’s a hard city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Another town run by liberals. What do you expect?
    LimaCharlie, ETXhiker and OldChap like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I remember walking down Bourbon Street one night back about 1960. I was eight and my family was having to overnight there on a trip to Acapulco. My folks were cool with letting me peek into the bars and all. Pretty thrilling for an eight-year-old. No one shot at us that I know of.
    Well, if they HAD shot at you, you'd know......those muskets and black powder made quite a cloud of smoke.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

One in 7 adults in New Orleans have a warrant out for their arrest, new data shows

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b0b_story.html
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Senior Moderator
    I have strange memories of New Orleans. It was in the 70's when I was a young Coast Guard officer in New Orleans inspecting Chinese grain ships with 200 antennas...grain, yeah right.

Anyway, my first trip into the French Quarter and a chance to view the artists and entertainers where I first saw this attractive street barker waving down people to "Come on in..." to the show. As I walked closer, this attractive lady looked at me and said, "High there!" in a voice so low that she sounded like the low voice in the Oak Ridge Boys.

I was stunned and my brain waves screeched to a halt. Keep in mind that this was in the 70's and I was coming from a small farming community. I suddenly realized that the situation was above my 'pay-grade' of understanding. I did not enter the strange establishment, but I have never forgotten that experience. In today's world it's not so strange, but back then it was very odd.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    In today's world it's not so strange, but back then it was very odd.
    Still strange to me...

When I was TDY to Kadena AFB, Okinawa in '73, my still-new bride flew over to join me. We had a place off base and she'd meet me at the USO club when I got off work, and we'd walk home. Of course, as we passed every bar and girlie club on the way, the "ladies" at the door would grab my arm to pull me in, and the Boss would grab the other and pull back. She won all the tug of wars. It was the only time I had women fighting over me!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I was pier-side 3 days after Katrina, back in '05. Stayed there helping with the ongoing rescue efforts for several weeks. Heard about how unsafe the local shelters were whe I was there. Only a handful of national guardsmen to provide security, gang members taking pot shots at each other, rapes... still want to visit, but not a city I would want to stay for very long in.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I was working for an engineering consulting firm in early 1986 and turned in my two-week notice as I had a better job offer in another state. The consulting firm owner asked if I could make it a three week notice. He said he would pay for me and my wife to man a booth at a trade show in New Orleans for a week recruiting for the consulting firm. I called the new job and they agreed for the three week notice.

What we didn't know was it was the week after Mardi Gras and the first week of spring break, with lots of trash on the streets. We stayed at one of the nicest hotels near the Superdome where the trade show was being held. College students on spring break were running up and down the halls, slamming doors, and screaming until about 4:00 am. It rained so hard, my wife and I bought our first ever umbrellas. The food was great and the tours were fun. Nobody shot at us.

We got home on, Saturday and I had to be at work in another state on Monday.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

BCD
    Bourbon street is just too dangerous these days because you never know when a shootout is going to erupt. I have two kids that live in the mid-city area and we constantly worry about them.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    People are dying to get their muffalettas.
    OldChap and muzzleblast like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

VIP Member
    Ok, glad you're ok. 3 of 4 officers "lit him up" but he was taken to the hospital with A chest wound? Man, that tired old saying that most cops are not gun guys rings true again.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links