French couple discover a WWII cache of weapons

This is a discussion on French couple discover a WWII cache of weapons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A French couple discovered a WWII cache of weapons hidden in their home when the were remolding. The Sten guns were authenticated as belonging to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: French couple discover a WWII cache of weapons

A French couple discovered a WWII cache of weapons hidden in their home when the were remolding. The Sten guns were authenticated as belonging to members of the Maquis resistance. Two of the guns had pet names engraved in them, “Pepette” and “Alice.” As you probably know, the Maquis was a main French resistance group against the Nazis in WWII. Sten guns were the main weapons provided to them by the British SOE and the Maquis were trained in their use by both the SOE and the SAS. The Maquis had elaborate setups for hiding the guns when not in use and caches like these apparently turn up from time to time.

One has to wonder if a similar situation will happen in this country at some point in time.

French couple discover a WWII cache of weapons-stens.jpg

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/new...f-weapons.html
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Some people have all the luck
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Give them a good oiling and back they go for a rainy day...
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

And being good Frenchies, they surrendered them...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It’s amazing just how many things are still being found 70 years after WWII ended.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member
    Very Cool find!
    When my Dad was renovating our old family place in the 1960s he found a cache in the wall with a Civil War Springfield, a big bag of black powder, and a bag of lead ball wrapped in a Richmond Enquirer from 1864.
    Man, I wish I had that stuff today. I do have my Great grandfather's Civil War Springfield, though.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Grenades? Grenades? I wonder if they realize just how dangerous those 75 year old devices are?

The guns are fine. The grenades? I think I'd call the Bomb Squad - if they have one in France!
    airslot likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I would have turned the grenades in to the police. After all, I wouldn’t want one to go off and damage my new Sten gun collection
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Probably an old Resistance veteran reading about this and being severely disappointed that his hidden stash has been purloined.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Grenades? Grenades? I wonder if they realize just how dangerous those 75 year old devices are?

The guns are fine. The grenades? I think I'd call the Bomb Squad - if they have one in France!
    Oh, they do. Still finding WW2 mines and plenty of unexploded stuff from both world wars. If you're a French farmer doing field work, you know to stop immediately if you hear a "clank". :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

My dad had good things to say about the Maquis. When his unit was moved up to a new position on the line, the local Maquis volunteered to do the night patrols, telling the CO that they'd been keeping track of the Kraut positions for years and would report on all changes when they found them.

Night patrols were the LEAST popular duty among GIs.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

My dad told me once about meeting some of the Italian Resistance fighters. He said they were "children" but bear in mind he was a comparative "old man" at 25 in 1944-45.

I have recommended it before, but for a look at some of these amazing "kids" and what they did, here is a novel based on the life of a true hero in Italy during WWII. One can only hope there are Americans with as much backbone to stand against tyranny as these folks.

https://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Scarl.../dp/1503943372
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    One has to wonder if a similar situation will happen in this country at some point in time.
    Not much of a stretch at all...
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It’s amazing just how many things are still being found 70 years after WWII ended.
    There are still "keep out" zones in France from WWI, just to much ordnance to remove and a lot of it to dangerous due to the use of chemical rounds by both sides.

P.S. Of course the French have bomb disposal squads, as do most countries these days. Some of the busiest are in France, the UK, Germany and the Japan/Pacific areas.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    They can make bombs that last 100 years, but they can't make a blue ray player to last more that 24 months.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links