Why I carry a spare magazine and a P229

This is a discussion on Why I carry a spare magazine and a P229 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm really not interested in arguing about what size pistol you should carry, what caliber, etc. I just made up my mind a long time ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Why I carry a spare magazine and a P229

I'm really not interested in arguing about what size pistol you should carry, what caliber, etc. I just made up my mind a long time ago to carry a pistol that had sufficient capacity to deal with multiple bad guys as well as the bad guy who doesn't succumb to his wounds after being shot a couple of times. I want to be prepared in the event I have a magazine failure. I realize that everyone has different needs and priorities and the above stated ones are my idea of what's prudent for me, and not necessarily for you.

Man Stabs At Motorists, Charges At Texas Deputy, Ignores Bullet Wounds

Spring, TX — An off-duty Houston police commander and an on-duty Harris County Constable (HCC) deputy shot a knife-wielding suspect multiple times following a frantic foot chase through a heavily-populated area (video below).

The incident began near a Popeyes restaurant near Cypresswood and Holzwarth Road at approximately 5 p.m. on Wednesday, after the HCC received a report of a suspicious person, KTRK reported.

When deputies arrived at the scene, the suspect ran away from them and unsuccessfully tried to carjack several nearby motorists, HCC Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...bMhzleLiUlwfF8
    forester58, OD*, Grizzly2 and 7 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

If it works for you Raven its all good. I wouldn't argue with you even if it doesn't work for me. Train with what you carry and I think your much better off than almost everybody else.
    Besides, I am carrying a 4" model 10 revolver AIWB today so why would anyone listen to my reasoning's anyway?
    Carry on.

I handled a 229 Legion iirr at a lgs and thought it to be a perfectly balanced handgun that pointed naturally for me. It was surprisingly expensive and so I backed away. It is the type of handgun that someone should be able to shoot very accurately compared to many of the lighter and smaller weapons we carry and so could be employed under wider conditions. I agree with the spare magazine and have followed that recommendation myself regardless of what I'm carrying. I want a reload for whatever reason.

I've always loved my revolvers but know that I shoot my Sig P250sc 9 better than I do my 3" Bulldog or my LCR Custom even though I carry them more often. I need to get in the habit of carrying both the Sig on the belt and the LCR in a pocket rather than one or the other.

We carry all this knowing they will most likely only be used at the range, but like we were told in the Boy Scouts, to be prepared. I can never forget the lady at the Mc Donalds who left her's out in the car to please her parents and then needed it. That is haunting.
    G26Raven and MMinSC like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

BHC
    Maybe I missed it, but I'd be curious to know 3 things:
    - what caliber did the LEO use
    - which specific ammo
    - where was he hit

Carry the largest gun, with the most capacity, in the largest caliber you can control and shoot well, and that you will carry all day, every day with one or more reloads.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

hmmm...

Running cop fires his pistol at running perp, manages to hit him a few times.

Anyone surprised that he wasn't able to get solid shots on him?
    G-man* and Cuda66 like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I'm really not interested in arguing about what size pistol you should carry, what caliber, etc. I just made up my mind a long time ago to carry a pistol that had sufficient capacity to deal with multiple bad guys as well as the bad guy who doesn't succumb to his wounds after being shot a couple of times. I want to be prepared in the event I have a magazine failure. I realize that everyone has different needs and priorities and the above stated ones are my idea of what's prudent for me, and not necessarily for you.

Spring, TX – An off-duty Houston police commander and an on-duty Harris County Constable (HCC) deputy shot a knife-wielding suspect multiple times following a frantic foot chase through a heavily-populated area (video below).

The incident began near a Popeyes restaurant near Cypresswood and Holzwarth Road at approximately 5 p.m. on Wednesday, after the HCC received a report of a suspicious person, KTRK reported.

When deputies arrived at the scene, the suspect ran away from them and unsuccessfully tried to carjack several nearby motorists, HCC Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...bMhzleLiUlwfF8
    The weapon you choose to carry is your business and I never try to dissuade a person from their choice unless they just cant shoot it. The 21 foot rule is an old rule and this nut shows exactly why a person at 21 feet from you or closer can have a fatal wound and still kill you. I try to advise people to practice backing up as they fire if the range allows that as well at two in the chest and one in the head drills. With all of that said I would be you that the bad guy was high and was so pumped up that he was difficult to stop. So dont be too hard on the officers as I would like to see how many times the man was shot; what calibers were involved; and where his wounds were. In over 34 years of L.E. I have seen people killed with 22 shorts to 44 Mag. and by the same token I have seen them still alive and well shot with the same rounds......the handgun overall is vastly underrated for a weapon to immediately stop an aggressive and high person.

Just carry what you have faith in; can shoot quickly and accurately; and then practice, practice and practice some more so that it becomes a habit. IMHO

I carry my spare mag already inside a spare gun (sometimes two spares). That way I can't mess up a mag change... it's already in there. And I don't care what other folks carry nor do I care what they think of what I carry. I carry what I am most accurate with while moving and firing rapid fire because what happens in real life is not the same as what happens on the square range.

And I also understand I still might die no matter how many I carry or what I carry.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

A handgun is a compromise. Long guns are less convenient.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Still Clingin'

Yep! It works for me too, I've always carried a spare mag and a spare gun.Like they say, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

The only reason I carry a spare mag is so that I can have a fresh gun in case the thugs family gets to the scene before the police do.

I don’t want anyone to feel left out.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

“ The wounded suspect was rushed to a local hospital and expected to survive his wounds”

Says a lot right there....
    G26Raven likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Because ya just Never know what`s Up!!!!. Always Carry,Never tell AND Have Backup!. Be Prepared!
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    When I go to Denver, I carry a spare mag in a spare gun. Actually a tad more than that, my G29 + spare mag is IWB KingTuk with a spare mag in a cargo pocket, my G20 + 2 spare mags in a Galco Jackass rig. Gives me the option of which gun is more convenient or advantageous to draw. Shoulder rig is a bit easier to draw from seated in the drivers seat. Lemme see, that's a total of 72 rounds of ammo at hand. That's a lot of friends and associates that can be dealt with...
    G26Raven likes this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Sometimes I carry a spare sometimes I dont. Sometimes I carry a firearm sometimes I dont. I always wear my seatbelt. Do what you think is best for you and dont worry about US.
    G26Raven and ButtShot14 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links