Is it Panic Buying or becoming Prepared?

This is a discussion on Is it Panic Buying or becoming Prepared? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, at the Gun shop where I work, we had over 100 NICS checks done! I must have sold at least 25 guns! People are ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Is it Panic Buying or becoming Prepared?

Today, at the Gun shop where I work, we had over 100 NICS checks done! I must have sold at least 25 guns! People are CRAZY buying!...... AR rifles are running.... some people are buying 2 of them at once!... Hi Cap Handguns AND ANY type of handgun is selling right now...... We RAN OUT of 5.56..223........9MM 45ACP ran LOW om 40 cal ( the caliber isn't dead at all) and various rifle calibers.. 3030.. 308... 30-06...
    Lines were LOOOONG and most people were good and orderly... BUT I ran into a couple of Hardass types that swore and cussed me out because I wasn't fast enough for THEIR needs! I'd love to tell them to go to hell-en Waite... but I'm not able to....
    Friday was bad, Today was bad, and I'm SURE Tomorrow will be a real "Show" there... Not back there til Monday, and THAT should be Interesting in itself.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

People are losing their frikin' minds.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It's happening everywhere. I waited too long to buy the ammo I needed and now I had to pay about an extra $100 for 1000 rounds of 9mm and about an extra $50 for 500 rounds of .40 S&W.
    OD* and CLASS3NH like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Interestingly, I think that the guns and ammo industry is now, more than ever before, able to ramp up production to meet any temproary increased needs.

This should tell any thinking person that panic mode is highly unnecessary.

Easy, breezy. Come back in a few, shelves will be re-stocked.

CLASS3NH, OD*, NECCdude and 1 others like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    This is the usual long Nutnfancy video but at least watch the first few minutes of it about the run on ammo. AGAIN!

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Panic buying is usually a costly venture. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago when there was a panic frenzy on ammo and AR 15 mags from a political scare of banning high cap mags. A local GS had a whisky barrel that was always filled with old 30 rnd AR mags for around $5 bucks each. Then, during the panic, the guy raised the price to $50 per mag. I thought he was nuts. But he sold every one of them. And you couldn't find .22 ammo on a shelf anywhere.

People who don't stay prepared just lose there minds and go all frenzy when they think the end is coming with anything. Be it mags or toilet paper. My gosh...how did people wipe their rear ends before toilet paper came along?

It's panic for most. My very good LDS friend tells me that today, even most LDS folks here in Utah do not have the one year of food and water the church recommends.

We have several months of food and water on hand, and have for several years. Plenty of ammo.

Am I concerned about the virus? Yes, since I have had several respiratory infections in the last year after years of not having any. I am more concerned about my wife right now who had to make an emergency trip to California to care for her 92 year old mom who broke her femur. I've saw an article last night from USA today that an interstate travel ban is under consideration.
    MB53, airslot, CLASS3NH and 5 others like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    The only personal change I've made in the last week is to up my threat level at work. I've adjusted accordingly.
    As for toilet paper & ammo, we're good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    The complete absence of a real threat coupled with irrational fear can lead to panic buying.

I've toyed with the idea of posting on social media that local stores are sold out of toothpicks. Maybe I can start a run on toothpicks - because if everyone is buying them, everyone must need them, right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    The two are not mutually exclusive. However, most folks who panic buy to become prepared really never become prepared.
    Texas Red, airslot, OD* and 5 others like this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Spending money on things, whether usable or perceived to be in need of, make people feel like they have control, if even in a small way.
    Tstone, airslot, CLASS3NH and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

If you are buying after the “crisis” starts then it’s panic buying. People will buy whatever you can sell them because they are unprepared. Buying ahead of time on your own terms is preparing.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

I think it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Those who were caught unprepared now see that items they need are becoming scarce and are over-reacting in response. They were not prepared and are scurrying to catch up.

Maybe it's a lesson learned for millions of our fellow countrymen.

Maybe they've now grasped the 7 P's:

Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

Some folks are only capable of learning things the hard way. Unfortunate, but we see it in action too often for it to be otherwise.

One thing I grasped very well from my time in the Boy Scouts 55 years ago: Be prepared.
    airslot, CLASS3NH and ETXhiker like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    I made a regular order of bulk ammo a few days ago. They had my stuff in stock, but said that shipping was running 3-5 days behind. I looked today, and they are running 10 days behind.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Well the gun industry is loving this.
    When Trump won there was no jump in sales as no one thought they needed to.
    Now this comes along and they are selling like crazy.
    Most folks here I assume are always stocked up and we only need to replace what we shoot at the range.
    Most of as have all the guns we need.
    We now buy just what we want.
    My want sales will be on hold as it is now a sellers market.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links