National Guard activated in 27 states - Page 2

National Guard activated in 27 states

This is a discussion on National Guard activated in 27 states within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet Every time I've seen the Guard respond to civil disturbances, they've had empty mags if any at all. No disturbances where ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: National Guard activated in 27 states

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Every time I've seen the Guard respond to civil disturbances, they've had empty mags if any at all.
    No disturbances where I live. Large percentage of our population is retired Veterans that want to be left alone.
    We mind our own business yet watch each others back.

(I'm not a Vet)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Look at it from government's perspective. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Those in charge of this response will forever be judged in a negative light regardless of their actions. Do too little, you will be blamed for your poor response. Do too much, you will be blamed for over-reacting. Get it somewhere in the middle. You'll be blamed for both over-reacting and not doing as much as you could have.
    No one wants to severely attenuate their own economy, throw themselves towards a possible recession. No one wants to order everyone to stay home, but the threat is real. This is not "just a flu", the hot spots are overwhelming healthcare. Italy is going to lose as many people from lack of equipment and medical personal as from the virus itself.

The reason for the order to stay home matters more than the action itself.
    Being ordered to stay home to help keep the elderly and weakened individuals safe is not the same as ordering people to stay home to stop an uprising to keep your grip on the government.

On the other hand, keep a VERY close eye on laws they push through right now. These emergency bills have a tendency to have long term effects that haunt us long beyond the memory of why it was passed.
    DJC7, JAG45, demanic and 9 others like this.

My question is: How long can the public maintain this mandated shutdown? My wife and I agree that this virus episode will be over in 90 days--either we will all be dead or it will have blown over. The shutdowns are another matter. I cannot see it extending beyond 30 days. The simple economics will not extend further. It's barely been a week here, and all the little quilt shops are begging people to help save them by buying online or, at least, buying gift cards to be redeemed later. But what good is a gift card at a business that no longer exists?

Walmart and the other big business can endure this thing with no problem, other than a tax-escaping income sheet on their 2020 tax filings. But it is the many small businesses that form the basis of American capitalism that concern me the most. God help them survive this pandemic.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    IFF it is legal where you are.
    Yes I mentioned that.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Oh I'm with you on that. OC is common here and nobody bats an eye.
    But if National Guard is roaming around, 3 M-16 > 1 Beretta

I would seriously doubt the National Guard opening up on people who are OC'ing. That would be a very stupid move on their part and that of the state's governor.
    BamaT and baren like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I would seriously doubt the National Guard opening up on people who are OC'ing. That would be a very stupid move on their part and that of the state's governor.
    Attempting to confiscate

baren likes this.

VIP Member
    So for those of you that keep comparing COVID-19 to the flu, I highly recommend this 5 minute read. Skip it if math hurts your head, but if you read it, it is eye opening. https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993
    BamaT and Cuda66 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Attempting to confiscate

Well in some states, that is illegal during a disaster, catastrophe, state emergency. Mine is one of those states. And yes I know, never trust a politician to obey the law.
    patkelly4370 and baren like this.

America First!

Open carrying in the presence of the Military or LEOs in the midst of an emergency ( even if legal ) seems to me to be risking over response from them. I would rather carry concealed and try to avoid those folks as much as possible. In my view there are 3 things that could happen - only 1 of them is good!
    Wolf357 and Marc_Brooks like this.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level - and then beat you with experience." George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    They been known to open fire on unarmed college students (Kent State). It was stupid then and wouldn't be any smarter now, but I won't say it won't happen again.
    baren likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

They been known to open fire on unarmed college students (Kent State). It was stupid then and wouldn't be any smarter now, but I won't say it won't happen again.
    I agree, but the Kent State students weren't armed. It would be nuts for the National Guard to fire upon armed citizens and if that were to happen, I would hope and pray that the citizens would send a clear and concise message that such behavior would NOT be tolerated.* The idea of a police state in America should be abhorrent to any red blooded American.

* This, of course, assumes the armed citizens would not be out of order.

America First!

Senior Moderator
    Every time I've seen the Guard respond to civil disturbances, they've had empty mags if any at all.
    Ha! I flew into Newark airport in early December 2001, and Ground Zero was still smoking. I was impressed at first by Guardsmen with M16s inside the terminal... and then I saw none of them had mags in the guns.
    OldVet, baren and MMinSC like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Ha! I flew into Newark airport in early December 2001, and Ground Zero was still smoking. I was impressed at first by Guardsmen with M16s inside the terminal... and then I saw none of them had mags in the guns.
    Unlike our European counterparts who are armed to the teeth.
    Name:  OIP (4).jpg
Views: 34
Size:  12.7 KB

Better looking too.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    A woman who is prone to panic and scams forwarded me some Facebook article about the National Guard and military enforcing a 2 week total shutdown of all stores and businesses, warning to grab what you need for surviving 2 weeks without buying anything. IF this was true, it's rather hard to stock up when the stores are limiting purchases to 2 breakfast sausage packages. I understand limits so everybody can get some, but 2 packages? That means I need to come back every 4 days and get more. That means I need to make MORE interaction with people instead of stocking up on enough perishables for 2 weeks. Personally, I can survive for much longer without going out, but this is rediculous!
    baren likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They're going to use them as clubs. I forget what base it is, but NO guns are allowed, per the snowflake Commander. Soldiers have no way of defending themselves if attacked, like a few bases have been in recent years.
    baren likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links