So California police patrol with drones during coronavirus lockdown

This is a discussion on So California police patrol with drones during coronavirus lockdown within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is actually probably a good use of their limited resources at this time. Like anything, it has its good and bad points. Southern California ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: So California police patrol with drones during coronavirus lockdown

This is actually probably a good use of their limited resources at this time. Like anything, it has its good and bad points.

Southern California police to patrol with drones during coronavirus lockdown: report

Some police departments in California plan on using drones to enforce a coronavirus lockdown and to, in part, monitor the homeless population, according to a report on Friday.

The Chula Vista Police Department, located just south of San Diego near the California-Mexico border, recently purchased two $11,000 drones -- doubling its fleet -- that will be outfitted with speakers and night vision cameras.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/souther...m_source=knewz
    Sister and maxwell97 like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Not surprising at all. Now, only if we all had such toys to play with right now.
    G26Raven and Sister like this.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

VIP Member
    I heard in California they are thinking of arresting people not following the lockdown. You can get up to 180 days in jail.
    Yet they are not arresting or giving any jail time if you steal a car or any non violent offense.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I heard in California they are thinking of arresting people not following the lockdown. You can get up to 180 days in jail.
    Yet they are not arresting or giving any jail time if you steal a car or any non violent offense.
    My wife drove home from Santa Rosa, California yesterday to Utah after dealing with her 92 year old mom who broke her femur 3 weeks ago. I thought for sure she would get stopped at least once, since she was driving her mother's car. Didn't happen. She did say the roads were relatively empty except for truckers.

My best buddy who is an FFL and lives in SoCal said he went to the beach Friday and people were not social distancing. I am very worried about him since he is older and has a disease that requires an infusion every couple weeks.
    Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    When you commit a crime the only harm is done to your fellow citizens. When you ignore a governor's order you are demonstrating contempt for your betters that requires punishment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My wife drove home from Santa Rosa, California yesterday to Utah after dealing with her 92 year old mom who broke her femur 3 weeks ago. I thought for sure she would get stopped at least once, since she was driving her mother's car. Didn't happen. She did say the roads were relatively empty except for truckers.

My best buddy who is an FFL and lives in SoCal said he went to the beach Friday and people were not social distancing. I am very worried about him since he is older and has a disease that requires an infusion every couple weeks.
    Glad your wife made it home safe. I know you were worried about her the last few days.
    OD*, Rock and Glock and G26Raven like this.

Drones . . . coming to a PD near you. They're actually very useful, but also easily abused without the proper protocol. My son just completed a two-week course at Camp Lejeune learning to fly them for his naval reserve duty.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sounds like target practice.
    G26Raven likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I have no doubt that, like the dogs, they will declare them to be police officers. This will make any non-LEO initiated interaction, with a drone, carry the same potential penalties as a non-LEO initiated, interaction with a human LEO.
    MB53 and G26Raven like this.

VIP Member
    Flying Robocops
    G26Raven and MB53 like this.

Flying Robocops
    We're not quite there yet, but I could see that in the future.
    OD* likes this.
    Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasaf View Post
    I have no doubt that, like the dogs, they will declare them to be police officers. This will make any non-LEO initiated interaction, with a drone, carry the same potential penalties as a non-LEO initiated, interaction with a human LEO.
    They don't even need to. A licensed drone operated by a licensed drone pilot is considered to be an aircraft by the FAA. Shooting at an aircraft is a federal felony that will get you up to 20 years. There is also grounds for a lawsuit by the owner of the drone and it would also be an unlawful discharge of a firearm in most jurisdictions.
    Aquaman and Rock and Glock like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Meh...

Try to keep people locked up in their homes long enough and eventually they are going to get tired of it. Either people will stop caring about the drones and they will be sending out real officers or people will shoot down the drones so they donít have to worry about it. People have shot them down before. They will do it again. I donít live in one of these draconian states so I donít really know what itís like there right now, but it seems to me everything about this lockdown stuff is just them trying to thump their chest to show their power hoping the citizens will willingly listen, knowing they canít really do anything to enforce it.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

I think it is both a legitimate threat and an opportunity for government to flex it's muscle. It also give the media their heart's desire: something to crow about to an audience hungry for information while constrained to home.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself Ė "hands behind the back" Ė toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It has been a few years since I shot trap and skeet. I need some practice.
    M1911A1, G26Raven and bmcgilvray like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links