Commander of the USS Teddy Roosevelt relieved of duty

This is a discussion on Commander of the USS Teddy Roosevelt relieved of duty within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guess there is an outbreak of the virus on board after a port call in Vietnam. Captain did not follow protocol and emailed the navy ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: Commander of the USS Teddy Roosevelt relieved of duty

VIP Member

Guess there is an outbreak of the virus on board after a port call in Vietnam.
    Captain did not follow protocol and emailed the navy as to his concern and wanted to evacuate the ship except for a skeleton crew.
    Did not use a secure for of communication, the media got the story. Crew families panic, crew panic.
    Our enemies might have been emboldened to try a terror attack on a ship that is more vulnerable.
    This is the captain of a friggin Aircraft Carrier. Our largest asset afloat.
    I think he needed to let his concerns be known to the SECNAV but not the way to do it.
    He put his ship and crew in peril.
    I have been following thus story for a while.
    He should be reassigned to perhaps a less stressful post

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uss-theod...ficer-relieved

I don't know all the details of what actually happened and wouldn't trust the accuracy of any from the media. There was far too much said about this incident by the media that should never have been known from a military ship at sea. I imagine the higher ups considered this a case of "Loose lips sink ships," and dealt with it as seen fit.

While I empathize with a captain with 5000 sailors literally at elbow distance trapped on a ship with a rampant viral disease spreading on board, it should have remained between him and naval HQ to resolve.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Play your cards, take your chances...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My son is on his ship, in port, the whole crew quarantined for two full weeks, can't leave the ship, before they set sail on deployment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simple_man17 View Post
    My son is on his ship, in port, the whole crew quarantined for two full weeks, can't leave the ship, before they set sail on deployment.
    My son was crew on a quarantined cruise ship. Just got off and is back at home.
    I will pray for your sailor. I hope he stays well.
    Please keep us up to date on his situation as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know all the details of what actually happened and wouldn't trust the accuracy of any from the media. There was far too much said about this incident by the media that should never have been known from a military ship at sea. I imagine the higher ups considered this a case of "Loose lips sink ships," and dealt with it as seen fit.

While I empathize with a captain with 5000 sailors literally at elbow distance trapped on a ship with a rampant viral disease spreading on board, it should have remained between him and naval HQ to resolve.
    Could be a political message sent and this is merely a cover to have him removed as gracefully as possible, too.

Difficult to say, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Guess there is an outbreak of the virus on board after a port call in Vietnam.
    Captain did not follow protocol and emailed the navy as to his concern and wanted to evacuate the ship except for a skeleton crew.
    Did not use a secure for of communication, the media got the story. Crew families panic, crew panic.
    Our enemies might have been emboldened to try a terror attack on a ship that is more vulnerable.
    This is the captain of a friggin Aircraft Carrier. Our largest asset afloat.
    I think he needed to let his concerns be known to the SECNAV but not the way to do it.
    He put his ship and crew in peril.
    I have been following thus story for a while.
    He should be reassigned to perhaps a less stressful post

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uss-theod...ficer-relieved
    My guess it will be a dingy floating around Norfolk, many years ago we had a young liaison officer that sent a message that the Navy was effectively sabotaging (poor choice of words) the Air Force mission on Diego Garcia. That so infuriated the higher ups at PACAF that an immediate mission was generated at Clark to replace him.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    I feel that the captain was concerned with the health of his crew. They are his concern and should be.
    But he is the captain of an Aircraft Carrier, a high priority asset. Only the best of the best get to command one of these.
    His pleas should have gone through secure channels, unless he was trying you get his situation out to the media on purpose. I do not know.
    I only know that the status of a carrier should always remain as secret as possible.
    What if a group of terrorist thought that the situation on board would make it a ripe target for a bombing or an attack and a lot of crew were killed or the ship badly damaged?
    The Captain should have thought his actions out better.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Secure channel or not, word likely got out from crew members to wives the globally from there.

I remember the good old days of submarine sailing. Computers were a novelty, cellphones didnít exist. Snail mail and family grams whose delivery is controlled by the ship.

Ask a wife if you want to know shipís movements.
    RonM0710 likes this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Could be a political message sent and this is merely a cover to have him removed as gracefully as possible, too.

Difficult to say, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please elaborate, political message??
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
    Secure channel or not, word likely got out from crew members to wives the globally from there.

I remember the good old days of submarine sailing. Computers were a novelty, cellphones didnít exist. Snail mail and family grams whose delivery is controlled by the ship.

Ask a wife if you want to know shipís movements.
    He is not being relieved from releasing OPSEC of any other info that is not privy to anyone else. He is being relieved because of judgment.

Wait until Covid breaks out on a nuke sub after it deploys. What then? If a crew coughs underwater, can everybody hear it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Best thing for a sub to do is stay at sea. Most are healthy or they would not be there. Many of the high risk factors are (or were anyway) disqualifying factors. I remember everyone got sick in the first week until there was nothing left to catch.

As for poor judgment. No argument from me.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

My opinions from having served four deployments on another Nimitz-class carrier.
    • They should not have done a port call in Vietnam during this pandemic, even if it was early days. I have been at sea continuously for 154 days once. They should have rode this out. A carrier can do that easily.
    • All the electronic emissions from the ship, even those from individual mobile devices, go through central control. Maybe not the content, but the signals. The captain can declare EMCON (emissions control) at any time, preventing any transmission from leaving the ship. That is an essential part of carrier defensive strategy. It is rountinely preacticed in exercises. If they didn't want this message off the ship from the crew, that could have been prevented.
    • The captain wrote a letter, on letterhead to the Navy Department. That is rare. Generally all communications is electronic messages, which are marked by security classification and priority for attention. According to one article I read, the captain is suspected of personally leaking his letter to the SF Chronicle. The Chronicle had the letter itself, with letterhead, not just reports from crew members. They published it just a couple of days after it was dated. There would have been no reason to write a formal letter unless it was intended to be leaked.
    • If the captain did leak the letter, he could, and normally should, be court martialed. I don't think he will be, because of PR optics on this, but his career is basically over, I assure you. He will not have another command or important posting and he will not be promoted. They will ease him out.
    • His letter likely accomplished nothing toward the safety of his crew. It will take his ship offline as a deployable asset.
    • They should have left all but critical cases on board. By definition, the whole crew is relatively young and healthy. It is unlikely any of them would have died of COVID-19 and they would have developed "herd immunity."
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I don't have all the details of this incident and surely more will come to light.

His sailors cheered him upon disembarking the carrier.
    airslot and CAS_Shooter like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links