About The Oath You Swore....

This is a discussion on About The Oath You Swore.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMHO Every LEO should watch this and try to understand what your role as a sworn police officer is. I heartily agree with the thoughts ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: About The Oath You Swore....

IMHO Every LEO should watch this and try to understand what your role as a sworn police officer is.

I heartily agree with the thoughts expressed here. You are NOT to be the enforcement arm of ill-advised policies that violate the Constitution you swore to defend.
    Pete63, LimaCharlie, flh and 26 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I actually watched that yesterday(?), on "youtub", as opposed to a link here. A "VERY GOOD video"!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

flh
    To the best of my ability ...

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

None of the oaths of enlistment or oaths of office I took in the Navy or Army had expiration dates or ambiguous language. They always seemed pretty clear to me.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Good video. Good post. I've always thought I could count on the men and women who have taken the oath.

Seems like sides are being taken where men and women with differing ideologies who have taken the oath believe that they are in fact upholding the oath they swore. Not good.

Last four years has shown this to be true if you can believe what you hear from all the "loyal" oppositions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    IMHO Every LEO should watch this and try to understand what your role as a sworn police officer is.

I heartily agree with the thoughts expressed here. You are NOT to be the enforcement arm of ill-advised policies that violate the Constitution you swore to defend.
    Howard sums the Oath as good as I have ever heard.....each time I took the Oath it became more and more important to me and he is right on his assessment. Thank you Howard.....we periodically all need to remember the Oaths we have taken......
    OldChap, airslot, URIT and 2 others like this.

The oath is not an escape clause - it's that which holds you responsible - to yourself as surely as to those you serve.
    OldChap, airslot, Old Man and 4 others like this.
    All the great men are dying - I don't feel so good myself.

Now we need a version of that video for elected officials.
    G26Raven, URIT, OldChap and 3 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Good video. Hopefully many who are taking oaths watch and learn.

That said, an oath is only as good as the character of the person who takes it.

It can help those of good character articulate moral and ethical boundaries to themselves in difficult times, decreasing ambiguity for complicated decisions. For those of weak character, the words may be nothing more than a disguise used to blend in without actually influencing their behavior.

Those who need to be reminded of their oaths probably never took the words seriously even while stating them.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    None of the oaths of enlistment or oaths of office I took in the Navy or Army had expiration dates or ambiguous language. They always seemed pretty clear to me.
    At the same time, it doesn't end with "forever and ever, Amen."
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Here's a serious question for all who have ever taken the oath (I have not). I think Old Vet may have a point, as he always does. If you are discharged from the military, or you retire from the military or law enforcement, I would think your oath might no longer be binding? Has anyone ever seen a legal opinion in regards to this?

As a case in point, when you retire from law enforcement, they take away your rights to arrest a person, correct? I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious....
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Here's a serious question for all who have ever taken the oath (I have not). I think Old Vet may have a point, as he always does. If you are discharged from the military, or you retire from the military or law enforcement, I would think your oath might no longer be binding? Has anyone ever seen a legal opinion in regards to this?

As a case in point, when you retire from law enforcement, they take away your rights to arrest a person, correct? I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious....
    Guess like the old saying "Once a Marine, Always a Marine". Some feel that their oath is never ending.
    Some after they have served honorably, wish to put it behind them and move on to the next chapter in their lives.
    I commend and honor those who gave of their time to serve our nation.
    G26Raven, OldChap, Poorly and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Now we need a version of that video for elected officials.
    I think we already have one ready made. It has Ten Commandments.
    G26Raven, Pete63, airslot and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post

My opinion:
    If one is "retired" from the service, technically you are still on the roles, abet far down the list from being recalled, so the oath would still remain in effect. For those who did their enlistment and separated at the end of their term of enlistment, other than personal choice, I see no legal obligation to abide by their "Oath of Enlistment." It was a time-limited contractual agreement after all.

Whether one feels they have a moral oath they are obliged to follow for a lifetime is solely a personal choice I can respect either way. Some things you do because you're required to, some things you do because you need to, and some things you do because you believe it is the right thing to do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My opinion:
    If one is "retired" from the service, technically you are still on the roles, abet far down the list from being recalled, so the oath would still remain in effect. For those who did their enlistment and separated at the end of their term of enlistment, other than personal choice, I see no legal obligation to abide by their "Oath of Enlistment." It was a time-limited contractual agreement after all.

Whether one feels they have a moral oath they are obliged to follow for a lifetime is solely a personal choice I can respect either way. Some things you do because you're required to, some things you do because you need to, and some things you do because you believe it is the right thing to do.
    You have summed it up perfectly. Thank you.
    Redbert31 and bill35738 like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links