Wtb ivory grips for compact officer size 1911

This is a discussion on Wtb ivory grips for compact officer size 1911 within the Member Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; Here in Texas mammoth or elephant Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By MMinSC

Thread: Wtb ivory grips for compact officer size 1911

Here in Texas mammoth or elephant
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I was looking at mammoth/mastodon grips for quite a while. Then I saw how a lot of that bone is recovered in Russia and the process pretty well destroys the land and river banks. They use hydro power to blast off river banks, looking for the random harvest. The rivers turn into brown soup, the banks are forever altered, it’s pretty ugly. After that, I couldn’t bring myself to do it, as cool as they might be. I ended up buying custom grips of bison bone and they’re really nice enough.....I’m good with them. They have nice coloring and character, I expect that they’ll age very well.

Elephant might be a different story. There’s a good deal of federal/global oversight on ivory. I don’t know the ins and outs but I’d expect a price tag inline with the hassle of it all.
    Old Man likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I purchased my elephant stocks from Boone Trading Company when Obama announced plans to ban the interstate sale of ivory. They had a lot to liquidate in a short period of time, so the prices were great. I should have bought another set.

I think elephant might be hard to find with the ban. I guess it can still be advertised if it bought and sold within your state since the ban is federal interstate? In the knife world, I still see it changing hands on the forums, usually listed as elephant, without the word ivory.

Mammoth, Mastodon, Walrus or Oosik would be the easiest to find. Boone carries all of those. Mammoth used to be less expensive before the ban. Then, people wanted very barky looking pieces but now they sell a lot of very white and smooth stuff to make up for no more elephant ivory. Expensive now but beautiful stuff.

If you see a set in oosik that you like and do not now what that is, do not google it. Might ruin them for you.

Here is what they have in stock currently. Can always call them and just ask as well. I am happy with my purchase.

https://www.boonetrading.com/collect...y-pistol-grips
    Old Man likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Sponsored Links