Member Meet & Greet in North Carolina

This is a discussion on Member Meet & Greet in North Carolina within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had an occasion to travel to the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, as I needed to collect my SIL, and bring her back to Wisconsin. ...

Like Tree42Likes
  • 12 Post By PhaedrusIV
  • 6 Post By svgheartland
  • 4 Post By PhaedrusIV
  • 8 Post By Mike1956
  • 6 Post By PhaedrusIV
  • 4 Post By CG11
  • 2 Post By JustCuz

Thread: Member Meet & Greet in North Carolina

I had an occasion to travel to the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, as I needed to collect my SIL, and bring her back to Wisconsin.

I had no intention of getting that close to Goldsboro, without taking the opportunity to meet one of our Mods, msgt/ret.

It was only another fifty miles (out of a thousand or so) and beside that, Gene bought my lunch at a nice BBQ, Chicken & Fish place.

If you get to Goldsboro, I recommend you try them (McCall's.) And if you're smart, you'll meet up with msgt/ret as well.

If you're NOT smart, you'll be smarter after you're done with lunch with the great man. I've not met a nicer gentleman.

As we were both armed, we didn't expect any trouble, and we got none ! We did leave McCall's with our bellies full (Sunday buffet.)

What a wonderful opportunity that was, and I'm so glad I didn't pass it up.

If you don't know, Gene was a Flight Engineer on three of USAF's largest aircraft, including the C-5. He's a smart, capable guy.

And I'm sure he played that F.E. panel like a virtuoso pipe organ player. That is one complex "systems" control panel !

Anyway, we broke bread together, talked about guns, airplanes, and life. It was a hoot.

If you get to Goldsboro, there is another legendary BBQ place, Wilber's, just a stone's throw from McCalls.

Either way, you might want to take one of your BBQ guns along - it's tradition, right ?

Thanks, Gene !
    Last edited by PhaedrusIV; February 26th, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member
    If you get back this way, please let me know. I’m an hour or so north of RDU.

You’ve now seen North Carolina in its wettest season. Ever. If this rain continues we’ll have monkeys and anacondas by July.
    msgt/ret, OD*, Wavygravy and 3 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    If you get back this way, please let me know. I’m an hour or so north of RDU.

You’ve now seen North Carolina in its wettest season. Ever. If this rain continues we’ll have monkeys and anacondas by July.
    I surely will, @svgheartland ! Had I known your whereabouts, I'd have hauled you along !

That way, the TWO of us would have had a fighting chance against ONE Moderator !

Oh, and the RAIN ! I drove, for hours, in a gully washing downpour, all the way across NC. At least we had fog to go with it.

NO visibility, and some folks driving 90 per. There's crazies out there !
    Sister, OD*, 5lima30ret and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I've had the opportunity to meet several members of the forum in person, and have always enjoyed the opportunity and experience.

I regret not having gotten out Utah way while Farsidefan, Jay Miller was still up and about. He invited me out for a visit shortly before his illness set in, but I never got a trip put together. He phoned me a few days before he passed just to tell me so long and to assure me that he was good with the outcomes he had after an enjoyable life. I don't run into folks like that often.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I've had the opportunity to meet several members of the forum in person, and have always enjoyed the opportunity and experience.

I regret not having gotten out Utah way while Farsidefan, Jay Miller was still up and about. He invited me out for a visit shortly before his illness set in, but I never got a trip put together. He phoned me a few days before he passed just to tell me so long and to assure me that he was good with the outcomes he had after an enjoyable life. I don't run into folks like that often.
    Yeah, we miss Farsidefan. Jay was a hoot, and a real trooper when it came to fighting cancer.

VIP Member
    Sound like a great time with great people, PhaedrusIV, thank you for sharing it with the forum. I'm sure I am one of many who regard both of you as fine people through your posts and humor.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Effective 15 March 2019 from goldsboro’s Daily news:
    Wilber’s Barbecue shut down operations this week, and North Carolina Department of Revenue signs now hang on the establishment’s door stating, “No Trespassing.”

There’s no word yet on whether the shutdown is permanent or temporary.

Wilber’s opened in 1962 and has been a staple for barbecue lovers from around the world.

UPDATE: Friday morning, the North Carolina Department of Revenue confirmed to Goldsboro Daily News it took action on the business located at 4172 U.S. Highway 70 East in Goldsboro.

Due to the NC taxpayer secrecy law, the NCDOR is unable to provide details beyond what is on the posted sign: “Pursuant to NC G.S. 105-242(a)(2) the personal property here within has been seized for nonpayment of taxes.” Unquote

UPDATE: NCDOR Closes Wilber's Barbecue - Goldsboro Daily NewsGoldsboro Daily News
    msgt/ret and PhaedrusIV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCuz View Post
    Effective 15 March 2019 from goldsboro’s Daily news:
    Wilber’s Barbecue shut down operations this week, and North Carolina Department of Revenue signs now hang on the establishment’s door stating, “No Trespassing.”

There’s no word yet on whether the shutdown is permanent or temporary.

Wilber’s opened in 1962 and has been a staple for barbecue lovers from around the world.

UPDATE: Friday morning, the North Carolina Department of Revenue confirmed to Goldsboro Daily News it took action on the business located at 4172 U.S. Highway 70 East in Goldsboro.

Due to the NC taxpayer secrecy law, the NCDOR is unable to provide details beyond what is on the posted sign: “Pursuant to NC G.S. 105-242(a)(2) the personal property here within has been seized for nonpayment of taxes.” Unquote

UPDATE: NCDOR Closes Wilber's Barbecue - Goldsboro Daily NewsGoldsboro Daily News
    That's too bad !!!

But here's the main reason for it, I think:

Unless Wilber's simply shot themselves in the foot.

Sponsored Links