Just joined forum and have some questions...

This is a discussion on Just joined forum and have some questions... within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I live in Colorado, and got my CCW permit about 9 months ago. I haven't actually carried yet, but am looking to start doing so. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Just joined forum and have some questions...

I live in Colorado, and got my CCW permit about 9 months ago.
    I haven't actually carried yet, but am looking to start doing so.

Had some questions / concerns before I start carrying concealed, and would welcome advice from others on this forum on these...

- What is the proper protocol for interacting with law-enforcement officers while carrying concealed? I have the permit so I'm legal; my question is about "duty to inform" and how to clearly demonstrate to the officer that I am not a threat to them.
    - I started out with an M&P Shield 9mm, but am thinking I may also need a micro .380. Pocket carry seems the only practical method for me. The M&P Shield, although compact, may be a little big for pocket carry. I did get a pocket holster for the Shield, but it just slips over the trigger guard and muzzle. Drawing from a pocket would be a two-handed job ... one hand to draw the weapon, the other to pull off the holster?
    - To get my permit, I took the NRA Basic Pistol class at a shooting range. Other than more range time, what would you recommend as next steps? Training / drills at home using dummy rounds?
    - I feel as if I am more likely to encounter an armed self-defense scenario outside the home, rather than within. Any recommended reading or training on this topic?
    - During my permitting class, a rep from a company that sells legal-defense insurance for CCW holders gave a presentation. Would you recommend buying this type of insurance?

Senior Moderator

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET

The internet can be your friend, and here's a bit of info about CO.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat...laws/colorado/
    wmhawth and Heavy4Caliber like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: ďThe prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.Ē

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Welcome!
    More training is always good. I'm sure someone here can point you to a good local resource.
    I like to train with folks who are members of ILEETA. (International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association.)
    There are plenty of other good groups out there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. For everyday carry at work I've found pocket carry to be the way to go. I pocket carry a .38 special s&w 642 j frame revolver. Don't know what kind of pocket holster you have but it should stay in the pocket and not come out with the gun. I've found that when I draw I can press the holster against my thigh when I draw and it stays put.
    RebelSoul and Libertywheel like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Welcome to the forum! Here is my opinion on each point.

1- proper protocol depends on state law. If they didnít cover that in your class, you may be able to find it on handgunlaws.us. Usually telling the officer you have a permit, and that you are carrying is good enough. I keep my permit behind my license as a reminder if I need to take out my license.

2- a shield is a great carry gun. I carry a similarly sized G43, but a pocket gun is always a good option. A quality holster and belt make all the difference. A lot of people overlook the importance of a holster and even more people over look the belt.

3- Iíll let other people chime in for training since Iím not in your area and donít know all the instructors like some people do.

4-dry fire practice at home is always good, and itís free. There is always plenty to read here.

5- concealed carry insurance is a pretty highly debated topic. All Iíll say is, youíll never see me spending money on it. Some people swear by it.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

After I wrote my post, I checked handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf).

In Colorado, it seems there is no "duty to inform immediately." My question was about handling things like traffic stops where I might be asked if I am armed, etc. I didn't feel as if they covered it adequately in the class - it was basically "be polite and cooperate." Which is always a good idea, but if I am carrying and answer truthfully, what happens next? The Colorado laws allow police to temporarily disarm permit holders during a traffic stop, but are obligated to return the weapon when the traffic stop is complete. I am OK with this, but want to make sure I know the protocol for handling this situation safely.

Tomorrow, I'll do some draw tests with that pocket holster (and cleared weapon) and see if the pocket holster stays in the pocket or sticks to the weapon.

I'm thinking of adding the .380 because those have been shrunken to an approximately 3" x 5" package, which is easier to fit in a pocket than a 4.25" x 6.5" 9mm Shield. Less powerful round (which enables more compact weapons), but I think using defensive ammo would mitigate that downside somewhat.

Welcome to the forum. Here are a couple of book suggestions for further reading. Some of the gear in these books may be a bit dated, but the principles of operation and basic information is solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Bo...s=massad+ayoob

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gui...de+to+handguns
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    Where the police and traffic stops are concerned, they vary by officer. If it were me, I would put both my hands up on the steering wheel where the officer can see them. Don't do a lot of fumbling for drivers license, registration as they are coming up on you, it could look suspicious. Wait until they ask for your drivers license and registration to retrieve them. When you are driving, keep your drivers license and registration very accessible, so you do not have to dig into any pockets near your carry gun. Never reach behind your back.

Do you live in the city, suburbs or country? I am wondering why pocket carry, because as @Havok mentioned above, a good holster and belt can make the difference. I personally carry an Shield in .9mm. Many smaller handguns in .380, even though a smaller cartridge, can recoil like a 9mm. I would rather stay with the 9mm, personally.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

There are two schools of thought on notifying LEO about being armed. This is of course where it's not a requirement. I tell an officer I'm talking with that I'm armed most of the time. My son is a PO & he says they prefer it just so there are no surprises. In a no notify state & if you're carry gun is well concealed it's no big deal. Just the other day there was a shooting close to me & I had some info. I told the PO I was armed & he said "That's good. What do you carry?" Many of them in my police district know me or know of me through my son. That will change gradually because my son no longer patrols this district.

Use your discretion as a legal gun carrying citizen.
    MSG Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by piano_71 View Post
    After I wrote my post, I checked handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf).

In Colorado, it seems there is no "duty to inform immediately." My question was about handling things like traffic stops where I might be asked if I am armed, etc. I didn't feel as if they covered it adequately in the class - it was basically "be polite and cooperate." Which is always a good idea, but if I am carrying and answer truthfully, what happens next? The Colorado laws allow police to temporarily disarm permit holders during a traffic stop, but are obligated to return the weapon when the traffic stop is complete. I am OK with this, but want to make sure I know the protocol for handling this situation safely.
    There is no duty to inform so do what you think is best in that regard. Personally, I think it's a good idea to just hand the officer your permit along with your DL and proof of insurance and let him give whatever instructions he deems necessary. I've only been stopped and ticketed once in the last 20 years or so and that is what I did. The officer just gave my permit a glance, asked me if I was armed and was basically unconcerned that I was legally carrying. There's no legal obligation there but it seems a sensible thing to do in my opinion.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Remember, Denver has its' own rules! @RETSUPT99 has a good link for that
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I live Colorado. You have no Duty to Inform here. You are responsible to comply with the lawful demands of a law enforcement officer. State handgun laws in Colorado are easy to find via a link on your county sheriff's website. I would suggest that you don't carry if you don't know the law. If you have any trouble understanding the laws, your best bet is to engage a competent attorney for clarification.

My own practice is that I am polite and compliant interacting with LEOs. It is my opinion that the place to argue is in court and not on the roadside. Maybe this will be illustrative. A couple of months ago, a Morrison police officer pulled me over on C-470. I rolled all of my windows down, turned on the interior lights, and placed both hands on the steering wheel. He asked for my documents and I told him where those documents were, wallet in my pants-registration and proof in insurance in the glove box, and asked if it was OK to retrieve them. I think he saw my NRA membership card while I was getting my license out. He asked me if I had a concealed carry permit. I told him I did, but that I was not armed on my person nor was there a firearm in my vehicle. I told him that I was on my way to work and there is a zero-tolerance firearms policy there, plus I and my vehicle are both subject to random searches per the employment agreement. I asked if he wanted to see the permit, but he declined. We had a short respectful conversation and he allowed me to go on my way with a friendly warning.

My wife and I have had additional firearms training here, but I can't recommend the instructor, even though our experience was a positive one.

Dry fire practice at home is a great idea. The Four Rules of Firearms require strict adherence at all times and especially at home. You might consider going to a local IDPA match for some gun fun on a Saturday morning!

I hope some part of this was useful.
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Hello, piano_71, and welcome to the forum from California. You've received a great deal of direction already from our posters, so I will refrain from adding to that. Suffice it to say that you are in the right place, and these folks will point you in the right direction on training, interaction with law enforcement, and how/what to carry. Great to have you aboard, piano_71, good luck on your training and carry!

Greetings and Salutations from Washington!
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Welcome from So Cal!

Good advice already, but lots of unknowns that may influence things. My blanket statement that for 100% of the time, that works 50% of the time is get a S&W J frame and a pocket holster.

Now that you have all the carry guns you need, you can add other fun ones. Welcome to the forum.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links