Hello and thank you from Florida - Page 3

Hello and thank you from Florida

This is a discussion on Hello and thank you from Florida within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Welcome to the forum!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Hello and thank you from Florida

Welcome to the forum!
    Portcullis likes this.
    Shawn Rife

RAEIndustries
    www.raeind.com

Lead Moderator
    Welcome. From Central Florida !!!
    Portcullis likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Learning to shoot again : Starting Over

Hello from Citrus County FL.
    Portcullis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Portcullis View Post
    Wow, great points. Thank you. All the factors you list are exactly where I am.... And it's very helpful to help view the bigger picture of the relationships.
    It can get a little overwhelming for people new to all of this. Terminologies are one of the areas that tend to be a bit confusing to newcomers so do your research when you're not sure about some terms and please do ask away here on this site.

There are a bunch of other concerns regarding defensive handguns and many of those will begin to surface as you continue to learn. This is a good thing but do keep in mind that along with valid information, you can and probably will receive bogus input. Learn how to separate the good stuff from the trash.

And do keep us informed of your progress. We enjoy hearing how people new to all of this are coming along.
    Portcullis likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    When I was a brand new shooter I had my carry permit for several months, during which time I did a LOT of shooting and active class training. No way was I going to carry if I was so inexperienced that a bad guy could easily take my gun away from me! Then came the day when I knew, myself, that I was proficient enough with my gun that I could actually carry it and be able to use it accurately and quickly enough if the worst ever happened.

Take it one step at a time. If you are not ready to carry, you will have a gun at home for self defense and that IS one step forward.
    Excellent advice. For decades I have not owned a gun. Spending several months shooting and in classes will keep me plenty busy before any thought of carrying it out of the house. It's not like getting a new cell phone and spending the weekend becoming familiar with it and then taking it to work on Monday.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Howdy from Texas, where the west begins. Welcome
    Come on in and sit a spell.

Sounds like youíre off to a good start.
    Donít be afraid to ask questions. And the forum search feature can direct you to posts discussing your interests.
    I especially like how well organized and on-topic this forum is. It is a common problem in other corums for posts to be not directly related the purpose of the forum. In contrast to other forums, I like the stress in the DC Rules about staying on the "very distinctive focus." That helps a newcomer quickly find information. It takes a lot for work by site owners and volunteers (wow) to keep it that way. But that hard work is obvious and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from the state of California, which is more confused than you will ever be! Glad to have you aboard!
    Thanks for the welcome. I was born in California and lived there until I was 14. We lived much of the time is the desert. Nothing better for a kid. The independence, the beauty of open spaces without people or houses, and those starry nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Portcullis View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I was born in California and lived there until I was 14. We lived much of the time is the desert. Nothing better for a kid. The independence, the beauty of open spaces without people or houses, and those starry nights.
    I was born and raised in Southern California. Left at 19 and joined the AF. Retired and went back to California to work for TRW. Couldn't afford to live there, so transferred to DC. Retired again, and again, and then moved to Florida. Love it here and will never retire again.
    Portcullis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

The Glock-19 could become a great friend of yours.
    I'm partial to Glocks for their simplicity and dependability, but you will find that when handling various firearms, one will start calling out your name.
    Enroll in a couple of gun courses after whatever you purchase, and you will begin to feel quite comfortable with your selection.
    Stay safe, and enjoy a very informative forum.

RET
    Hey neighbor, Central Florida here too. The gun-shop owner I talked with is also partial to Glocks. I was surprised that the Smith & Wesson M&P9 SHIELD M2.0 did not seem that much smaller or lighter than the Glock 19 -- or not significantly smaller or lighter. So, I am going to take the advice to try them both before buying anything. Many DC members have many more than one gun and write about a rotation or different times of the year or situations. That all makes sense too. It probably makes sense as long as I am renting guns, to try several.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast, John. Iíve been shooting for almost 65 years. Itís too bad this forum wasnít around that whole time!
    Hi OldChap, that's a lot of experience over a long time!! One of my young grandchildren who just started studying about dinosaurs that lived "a long time ago" asked their great-grandmother in all seriousness, "When you were young, did you ever see a dinosaur?" It is interesting that while guns from the early 1900s are still popular, during your life you have seen major developments in guns. That gives you a wide view. We may be about the same age, so I won't ask if you ever saw a dinosaur out there in Texas.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Welcome John, to the best gun related forum in existence. Here you will get good advice about 98% of the time. You've come to the right place.

NRA DAV LIFE MEMBER
    USAF RETIRED
    Thanks Old Sarge, I like the Treasure Coast and spent a nice weekend in Stuart. Thanks for your military service.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Welcome from Utah. There are many nice and extremely well qualified people here to learn from. I have only been shooting for 9 years and I learn something here every day. Like you, I got started with firearms late in life.
    Yes. there are experienced and thoughtful guns owners dedicated to proper gun ownership. They are willing to share their expertise. For free. Can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Welcome aboard from Washington state. Try to find a range that can rent a variety of guns to try out before you buy. As a beginner you won't have any bad habits to unlearn; that could make your progress faster. Don't forget a purpose-built belt.
    Hoganbeg, super advise. The belt advice illustrates the importance of thinking of all those essential nongun items. "Are you thinking of buying a gun? Also think about belts."

Quote Originally Posted by EddieFL View Post
    Welcome from Lee County, FL !!

You are a few hours south of me. A friend frequently travels on Alligator Alley at night. We will chat on the phone while she crosses the Everglades. She feels better when she has turned north on I75 and is in the Fort Myers area. Hope you were OK in Irma.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRJed View Post
    Welcome from Southern Utah. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. Good Bunch of people.
    Thanks, I take a concealed carry class tomorrow and may have some questions after that. LOL, I have yet to shoot a gun!! I agree this forum is a big help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links