Hello - Page 2

Hello

This is a discussion on Hello within the New Member Introductions forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Welcome to the forum, Misty Lu, from California. Glad to have you aboard....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hello

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, Misty Lu, from California. Glad to have you aboard.
    Misty Lu likes this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Greetings and Salutations from Washington!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin, Misty Lu!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    MSG Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from Southern Utah. Lots of good information here.
    Misty Lu likes this.

Welcome from NC, the state that deported @OldVet . As you can tell, I donít expect a Christmas card this year.
    Misty Lu likes this.

Welcome from Delaware.
    Misty Lu likes this.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Welcome from New Jersey............
    Misty Lu likes this.
    All I want is Whiskey twice my age......served by a woman half my age.

VIP Member
    Welcome from the volunteer state!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Welcome from NC, the state that deported @OldVet . As you can tell, I donít expect a Christmas card this year.
    NC didn't deport me; I deported NC.
    scottync and Misty Lu like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. I found that shooting in local (friendly) competitions helped me improve my speed and accuracy, as I learned over time exactly how fast I could be and still get the rounds on the proper place on the targets. I was not shooting to compete with others, but to keep track of my own progress.

Although shooting friendly competitions in a regular group is NOT actual self defense training, it does help hone your skills in some ways, and it is a very rare group where most everyone is not encouraging, complimenting you when you do well and willing to offer helpful suggestions - some of which are actually helpful!

Over time I got better and wound up getting more interested in where my score ranked in comparison to others, but that was never the purpose. Then I had health problems and wound up not shooting much at all for a long time. Now that I can get back from time to time, I'm starting from scratch as far as taking my time and making accuracy the most important thing. So if I come in last place on the score sheet. That is OK!

Not saying you have to shoot competition, just that most people find that it is not as daunting as they think if they have the proper attitude about why they are there. A lot of ranges have women only groups, but in California who knows?

In any case, it is very good that you shoot and practice!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Welcome, Misty LU, from sunny Wisconsin !

(sunny Wisconsin)
    Misty Lu likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Hi Misty! I respect your POV. I am a hunter, but also think that much of factory farmed meat is pretty cruel compared to a wild animal that gets to live a good free life before getting cleanly killed. Regulated hunting is actually the best thing for many animal populations becuase hunters have a direct interest in those animals adequate habitat. Lack of habitat kills, not so much reasonable hunting. Welcome!
    Misty Lu likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post

Yes, I like to use emoticons.
    Welcome! As you can see we have a lot of them!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Brian76 View Post
    Hi Misty! I respect your POV. I am a hunter, but also think that much of factory farmed meat is pretty cruel compared to a wild animal that gets to live a good free life before getting cleanly killed. Regulated hunting is actually the best thing for many animal populations becuase hunters have a direct interest in those animals adequate habitat. Lack of habitat kills, not so much reasonable hunting. Welcome!
    I don't disagree with you about this matter. But trophy hunting, and canned hunts are wrong. It's all about the money changing hands. And the 'right' of some macho jerk to brag about his hunting prowess to his pals during his patio BBQ.
    Wolf357 and Wavygravy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I found that shooting in local (friendly) competitions helped me improve my speed and accuracy, as I learned over time exactly how fast I could be and still get the rounds on the proper place on the targets. I was not shooting to compete with others, but to keep track of my own progress.

Although shooting friendly competitions in a regular group is NOT actual self defense training, it does help hone your skills in some ways, and it is a very rare group where most everyone is not encouraging, complimenting you when you do well and willing to offer helpful suggestions - some of which are actually helpful!

Over time I got better and wound up getting more interested in where my score ranked in comparison to others, but that was never the purpose. Then I had health problems and wound up not shooting much at all for a long time. Now that I can get back from time to time, I'm starting from scratch as far as taking my time and making accuracy the most important thing. So if I come in last place on the score sheet. That is OK!

Not saying you have to shoot competition, just that most people find that it is not as daunting as they think if they have the proper attitude about why they are there. A lot of ranges have women only groups, but in California who knows?

In any case, it is very good that you shoot and practice!
    I'm sure competitive shooting is useful in the ways you've described. But it's been my personal experience that it's just another way for the conservation club representatives to make money. I was perfectly satisfied with shooting on my own at one of these places until I was rudely harassed by the staff for not participating in their shooting events that I just found another place to do my thing in peace.
    OldVet, Wolf357 and ShooterGranny like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links