Supposed CCW holder shot dead by officer.. Video after shooting - Page 18

Supposed CCW holder shot dead by officer.. Video after shooting

This is a discussion on Supposed CCW holder shot dead by officer.. Video after shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So what we actually know is that Yanez had received a BOLO for someone and he decided to stop Castile because he thought he was ...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Supposed CCW holder shot dead by officer.. Video after shooting

So what we actually know is that Yanez had received a BOLO for someone and he decided to stop Castile because he thought he was a match. He stopped the car, approached it, and something happened that made Yanez decide he had to shoot Castile. That's all we know. Literally everything else is irrelevant.

Unless something else comes along, it's Yanez interpretation of what was happening vs. the female in the car. I don't think we have to ponder too long to figure out how that's going to come out.
    OD*, 357and40, SatCong and 1 others like this.

CCW holder lives matter!
    Hopyard likes this.

When the officers first spotted the car, and before they exited their patrol car, wouldn't they have run the car's tag? So they would know who he was and if he had a CCW and valid license?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucketson View Post
    When the officers first spotted the car, and before they exited their patrol car, wouldn't they have run the car's tag? So they would know who he was and if he had a CCW and valid license?
    Until the Leo sees the drivers Id it can be anyone driving that car.
    RScottie, OD*, 357and40 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    @Petroleum 1 is correct in that the owner of a vehicle is frequently not the driver. Sure, most of the time it is. But not all the time. Hell, my car is registered in my name, but my wife drives it just as often as I do.

And it's my understanding that MN does not have CCW permits cross-referenced in the DMV records. I know that a lot of states don't do that. Now, according to some LEOs in other sites, officers can run queries on their computer to find that information. However, the overwhelming response was essentially, "I don't run that query almost ever, but I can". So it's possible, but not automatic.

Now, if I was an LEO, and pulled somebody over for matching the description of a BOLO, I'd probably run that check to cover my bases. But, what we don't know at this point is the owner of the vehicle (making any such computer queries pointless).

New twist: Somebody on AR15.com did mention that he is/was dating a dispatcher, and that his girlfriend absolutely has easy access to see a person who has a permit to carry. But all the Minnesota LEO responses all said "well, my dispatchers never tell ME that!"

Long story made short: There's a very real possibility that Officer Yanez did not know about the carry permit.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFlounder View Post
    True or false, so what?

The shooting is justified based on how he acted. That is all that matters here. Not what kind of person he was.

sent from my commodore 64
    Guess the trash took itself out so to speak...
    MainframeCoder likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My information may be out of date now, but I previously worked fifteen years in L.E. communications.

The first return they get is a wanted/stolen check. That will tell if it has been reported stolen or is associated with wanted or missing person.

Tag returns vary by state. As a general rule what you get back is the year, make, and number of doors (body style) of the vehicle and the VIN. You also get the name and address and drivers license number of the registered owner, the expiration, and sometimes insurance info. The listing does not indicate the color because that is easily changed. The model is not included but can be determined by using a VIN decoder.

A separate inquiry is done by name and DOB for wanted status and drivers license. A third inquiry had to be run to check for a carry permit.

In theory it is all easily done. Where it gets complicated is when you start looking at the traffic volume the dispatcher has to deal with. It is one thing if you are looking at a small agency with three or four units on the road at a time. Larger agencies a dispatcher may have upwards of fifty units they have to deal with.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Supposed CCW holder shot dead by officer.. Video after shooting

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Now according to the facts, it's reasonable to believe that either the deseased, who was legally licensed to carry and didn't know he was an armed robbery suspect, either reached towards his firearm or identification after he was told not too, or that the officer's instructions weren't clear.
    Apparently your conclusion is not so reasonable. More of an assumption, really. You posed only two options when there was clearly a third option. Your only two options were either:

1. The deseased (deceased?) who was legally licensed to carry and didn't know he was a robbery suspect and reached towards his firearm or identification after he was told not to.

Or

2. The above, completely innocent party, wasn't able to understand "don't reach for it" "keep your hands up" "don't move" because the mush-mouthed cop didn't make himself clear.

You completely ignored the third option because it doesn't fit your narrative.

3. Philando WAS the same guy that robbed the convenience store with his gun, stealing Newport cigarettes and cash. During the stop he decided to shoot it out to escape. Diamond filmed the whole thing to cover her own a$$ while she smoked her free Newports (which have been traced back to the convenience store)

I'm not saying #3 is true... I'm just saying you didn't even consider that as a possible option.

Lol.

http://www.tactical****.com/new-evid...d-and-a-liar/]
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrock View Post
    @Petroleum 1 is correct in that the owner of a vehicle is frequently not the driver. Sure, most of the time it is. But not all the time. Hell, my car is registered in my name, but my wife drives it just as often as I do.

And it's my understanding that MN does not have CCW permits cross-referenced in the DMV records. I know that a lot of states don't do that. Now, according to some LEOs in other sites, officers can run queries on their computer to find that information. However, the overwhelming response was essentially, "I don't run that query almost ever, but I can". So it's possible, but not automatic.

Now, if I was an LEO, and pulled somebody over for matching the description of a BOLO, I'd probably run that check to cover my bases. But, what we don't know at this point is the owner of the vehicle (making any such computer queries pointless).

New twist: Somebody on AR15.com did mention that he is/was dating a dispatcher, and that his girlfriend absolutely has easy access to see a person who has a permit to carry. But all the Minnesota LEO responses all said "well, my dispatchers never tell ME that!"

Long story made short: There's a very real possibility that Officer Yanez did not know about the carry permit.
    By law, Minnesota's permit database is to be used for verifying the validity of a holder's permit. Without knowing that the driver of the vehicle is the registered owner (as mentioned), and without knowing that the driver is a permit holder, accessing the database may not be allowed beyond the law's allowance simply to 'check someone out'. The Commissioner of Public Safety is the holder of the database.

Not to mention that it would likely be very time consuming to use the database for every contact even if it were allowed for that purpose.
    jackrock likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    By law, Minnesota's permit database is to be used for verifying the validity of a holder's permit. Without knowing that the driver of the vehicle is the registered owner (as mentioned), and without knowing that the driver is a permit holder, accessing the database may not be allowed beyond the law's allowance simply to 'check someone out'. The Commissioner of Public Safety is the holder of the database.

Not to mention that it would likely be very time consuming to use the database for every contact even if it were allowed for that purpose.
    That's good information, Arkhm.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Sponsored Links