Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker - Page 5

Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker

This is a discussion on Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by searx Maybe if the good guy had one of these? What if there's more than one threat and you want to keep ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by searx View Post
    Maybe if the good guy had one of these?

What if there's more than one threat and you want to keep your firearm at the ready?
    Holding one of those up might get you laughed at or worse after while, it might also buy you the couple seconds needed for the responders to figure out who is who.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    All I'll say about all this is that you need to go attend some actual police training before you state what is being taught to officers across the nation.

I've been out 3 1/2 years but I can tell you this. It is getting easier and easier for officers to be charged with crimes after what is later proved to be a good shoot. The stigma and consequences of that charge, even when you're proven innocent in court, often destroy the officer and his/her family. The LAST thing anyone is teaching is to be more careless with shooting, ie shooting the first person you see with a gun.

A person with a gun who presents a clear threat to an officer or innocent may be shot without warning, but you had better be prepared with some good evidence and witness testimony for the court case to follow.

The active shooter response used to be cordon off the area and evacuate innocents. That takes time and allows for more casualties. Now the officers are taught to immediately assault the shooter. But that is not a declaration of a free fire area.
    I don't see an officer being convicted for shooting a citizen holding a weapon. That ain't happening. It just ain't....

There are too many in the public who support Big Government despite how they may claim otherwise and they WILL support LE use of force in the vast majority of cases.

Now if you are an officer it would be wise to consider what could POSSIBLY happen.

Outside the attempts of the Marxists-minded to overturn society by encouraging minorities and now the SJWs to disrespect damned near everything in society, government does whatever the hell it chooses (use of force) and the "moral majority" sheep support it or are at least whisper quiet.

This has to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TeflonDon likes this.

@Gunnie ....Thanks brother. Your experience matches what I learned and I truly believe that is the norm.

@Mjolnir ...You would be wrong. There have been many convicted for just such an event. What you don't understand is that when we give a badge to a police officer, we empower him/her to serve and protect our communities - to enforce the laws WE MAKE. We issue them a gun and give them far greater authority and discretion than an ordinary citizen. We bind them to certain courses of action according to OUR laws. Along with that power and authority, he/she is held to a higher standard, but that standard is far more defined by court decisions than for a citizen, despite what you hear from the media.

YOU are your government. If you have a problem with your government, maybe start with a good hard look in a mirror.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Holding one of those up might get you laughed at or worse after while, it might also buy you the couple seconds needed for the responders to figure out who is who.
    True. I am surprised no one has mentioned deploying a CCW sash.....
    OldChap likes this.

@Doogie I'm surprised no one has mentioned the CCW Tiara:

Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker-6f1f77c3-11b8-475c-af7f-7e650a84e96d_623d9536-f404-40a7-a33f-35291ba4d338_grande.jpg

I agree the badge might buy some time...but in my experience, empty hands, held palm facing the officers, buys a lot more. Just my opinion.
    CaptSmith and Doogie like this.

@Gunnie ....Thanks brother. Your experience matches what I learned and I truly believe that is the norm.

@Mjolnir ...You would be wrong. There have been many convicted for just such an event. What you don't understand is that when we give a badge to a police officer, we empower him/her to serve and protect our communities - to enforce the laws WE MAKE. We issue them a gun and give them far greater authority and discretion than an ordinary citizen. We bind them to certain courses of action according to OUR laws. Along with that power and authority, he/she is held to a higher standard, but that standard is far more defined by court decisions than for a citizen, despite what you hear from the media.

YOU are your government. If you have a problem with your government, maybe start with a good hard look in a mirror.
    Try telling an LEO he works for you.

See the YouTube vids of people doing so?

Most of the incidents that get publicity are usually dismissed or the officer is allowed to retire with benefits.

We have no justice (equal protection under the law).

We need to look COLLECTIVELY. I'm ONE person. My city is a city of 300k and the nation is 280 million.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hero shot by cops after disarming hostage taker

I get that we were to have a REPRESENTATIVE government (a REPUBLICAN FORM) of government but government has gone way too far and those who are LE need to understand their role in all of this. We are ALL responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Try telling an LEO he works for you.
    Why would I need to do that? Do you think that since you are his employer that the laws should be ignored in your case?

See the YouTube vids of people doing so?
    Now we know where you get your facts.

Most of the incidents that get publicity are usually dismissed or the officer is allowed to retire with benefits.
    Care to post a link to your "facts"?

We have no justice (equal protection under the law).

We need to look COLLECTIVELY. I'm ONE person. My city is a city of 300k and the nation is 280 million.
    I agree with you that the justice system is broken and needs fixing. But the real issue is not police officers getting away with crimes, it is criminals and politicians getting away with crimes.

America is not a COLLECTIVE. You can say it's not your problem, you're only one person, but doing so only means YOUR government is not really YOURS. It belongs to someone else. And you're getting your population figures from the same source you're getting your police data. Latest Census Bureau figure is 327 million.

Yeah, because LE are beyond the morals of mere mortals... give me a break. We have a society that does not know the laws of the land.

Yes, occasionally an officer needs to be reminded who he works for - GASP! Why do YOU have an issue with that?

I get facts from a lot of places including the US Code, State, Local and even the Constitution & Bill of Rights. Now can I assume as you did that since you didn't mention these that you do not??

Some like two-Tiered Justice which is no justice at all.

Many will never see the Police State that our Founders warned us of and a LOT of LE fit that description, unfortunately.

Havok and TeflonDon like this.

Who said America was a collective??????

Yeah, because LE are beyond the morals of mere mortals... give me a break. We have a society that does not know the laws of the land.
    Your government dictates how police behave. Police are people just like you. No better, no worse.

That fact. Did you get that from the US Code, State, Local and even the Constitution & Bill of Rights?

Yes, occasionally an officer needs to be reminded who he works for - GASP! Why do YOU have an issue with that?
    I think it is safe to say I know a lot more officers than you. I think every one of them looks at their paycheck every time they go to the bank. The only issue I have with that is that every time I've heard someone say that it is usually because they got stopped for breaking the law and figured a little intimidation might go a long way. Tell us what you think might be gained by asking that.

Tell me how you would get all 327 million Americans to look at anything COLLECTIVELY?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I don't see an officer being convicted for shooting a citizen holding a weapon. That ain't happening. It just ain't....

There are too many in the public who support Big Government despite how they may claim otherwise and they WILL support LE use of force in the vast majority of cases.

Now if you are an officer it would be wise to consider what could POSSIBLY happen.

Outside the attempts of the Marxists-minded to overturn society by encouraging minorities and now the SJWs to disrespect damned near everything in society, government does whatever the hell it chooses (use of force) and the "moral majority" sheep support it or are at least whisper quiet.

This has to change.

Agreed... Yes, "sometimes" officers may be charged and ultimately convicted for shooting an armed citizen and/or mistakenly killing/wounding a good guy, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.
    Mjolnir likes this.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Agreed... Yes, "sometimes" officers may be charged and ultimately convicted for shooting an armed citizen and/or mistakenly killing/wounding a good guy, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.
    It seems to be that way because "trigger happy cops" makes a story that plays well in the media. I don't think that's actually the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I would recommend your head be on a swivel and the gun be secured. If you insist on keeping it at ready then make darn sure it's not pointed at anyone and drop it upon police arriving put your hands up to show you are not a threat. Again my recommendation is to not have it at the ready. Your to easily precieved as the threat. As far as the badge thing goes wouldn't bet on that being trusted. They are available readily and don't show your not the threat. No different then a off duty cop unless you know them your going to want credentials to prove who they actually are before them standing there with a gun in there hand is ok.
    i agree. At the ready in my case it would be on my lap or under my vest sitting in my wheel chair. i saw a video where a guy advised that you tell the people around you to let them know your licensed to carry so that they know your a good guy. Just thought if you had one of those badges hanging around you neck when the sparks started to fly it would make it abundantly clear of your intentions.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Your government dictates how police behave. Police are people just like you. No better, no worse.
    People forget this and jump on the it's the government can't be trusted. When really local police are your friends and neighbors

That fact. Did you get that from the US Code, State, Local and even the Constitution & Bill of Rights?

think it is safe to say I know a lot more officers than you. I think every one of them looks at their paycheck every time they go to the bank. The only issue I have with that is that every time I've heard someone say that it is usually because they got stopped for breaking the law and figured a little intimidation might go a long way. Tell us what you think might be gained by asking that.
    Agree heard it a lot typically from people who are being arrest for clear cut legal violations that think they should be allowed to sell narcotics or batter their wives.

Tell me how you would get all 327 million Americans to look at anything COLLECTIVELY?

Bottom line that many forget is this is a job like any other. There will be bad officers just like there's bad doctors, bad coaches, bad teachers. The thing to remember is this those of us that are officers that are good hate the ones out here giving us a bad name just as much as the rest of the population because it simply makes our jobs harder. The other side of that coin is its dishearting when your doing your job and holding your oath to the highest and someon starts bashing you and lumping you in with the guy that didn't 10 states away.
    DG and OldChap like this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links