Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders

Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders

This is a discussion on Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Local story: https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...on-police-said Regardless of how this turns out, and it is far from settled, there are a couple of lessons to be learned. 1) ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array OldChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,057

    Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders

    Local story:

    https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...on-police-said

    Regardless of how this turns out, and it is far from settled, there are a couple of lessons to be learned.

    1) You cannot assume you will only face on or two people IF they decide to invade your home. In this instance, there were 5 people who decided to invade this home. Regardless of the reason they chose this home, it is always possible the invaders might get the wrong address and come to your doorstep.

    2) I know many folks like to claim that 2 or 3 shots are enough. That may certainly be true. But it is possible you will need more than 2 or 3 rounds - perhaps many more. I know many of you believe a 6 shot revolver will serve you well. And it will - unless you need more than 6 shots. Then you will need to learn to reload very quickly under fire. That is a challenge many police officers learned the hard way. Preliminary reports state there were 40 cartridge evidence markers in this one. Could you reload your six shot revolver 6 or 7 times if needed?

    This is in no way an attempt to start a capacity war. Such arguments are useless. You need to choose your defense response based on what you think is right for you in your situation.

    This is just offered to remind all of us that wild animals frequently run in packs and, God forbid, if we get caught in a bad situation, we don't want to lose because we underestimated the possible magnitude of the problem.

    Be safe.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,083

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,937
    OldChap, your point is taken, but this argument is made all the time, that one rare incident with multiple home invaders proves you need a hi-cap. It is not borne out by the real world. In the Claude Werner study of actual non-LEO shooting incidents, he said that there were no incidents, none, where after the first defensive shots were fired, accomplishes stayed in the fight. My guess is this guy shot the first one, got two more before they could run and the remaining two were already long gone.

    As Grant Cunningham likes to say, "A platoon of N. Korean paratroopers could land on your front lawn. That does not mean that's what you should be preparing for. I would say in the situation described in the article, the homeowner needed better doors, locks and windows more than he needed more gun.

    Everyone should have whatever makes them comfortable for home defense. But incidents like this don't prove anything. Heck, This guy may have only fired three shots for all we know. Personally, give me a pump shotgun over a 15+1 pistol any day. I don't care how many of them there are.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kalirado
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Local story:

    https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...on-police-said

    Regardless of how this turns out, and it is far from settled, there are a couple of lessons to be learned.

    1) You cannot assume you will only face on or two people IF they decide to invade your home. In this instance, there were 5 people who decided to invade this home. Regardless of the reason they chose this home, it is always possible the invaders might get the wrong address and come to your doorstep.

    2) I know many folks like to claim that 2 or 3 shots are enough. That may certainly be true. But it is possible you will need more than 2 or 3 rounds - perhaps many more. I know many of you believe a 6 shot revolver will serve you well. And it will - unless you need more than 6 shots. Then you will need to learn to reload very quickly under fire. That is a challenge many police officers learned the hard way. Preliminary reports state there were 40 cartridge evidence markers in this one. Could you reload your six shot revolver 6 or 7 times if needed?

    This is in no way an attempt to start a capacity war. Such arguments are useless. You need to choose your defense response based on what you think is right for you in your situation.

    This is just offered to remind all of us that wild animals frequently run in packs and, God forbid, if we get caught in a bad situation, we don't want to lose because we underestimated the possible magnitude of the problem.

    Be safe.
    Making me all paranoid, gonna have to run out and buy an AR pistol and figure out how I'm going to wear it AIWB. A couple of spare 30 rounders on my belt and I'm set! My 5-shot 340PD and a couple of speed strips is obviously not enough in this day and age.
    OldChap, Bad Bob and bill35738 like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

    NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,083
    im guessing a good chunk of these multi bad man invasions are drug ripoff invasions of a rival dealer.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,850
    Unless they can come five wide at me, I'm comfortable with whatever I happen to be carrying. Between my hard corners and narrow door/hallways, they'll be coming single-file.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kalirado
    Posts
    1,627
    I'd also guess that by the time you've dropped one or two of their buddies, they're going to be anxious to leave.
    OldChap, GpTom, viney266 and 3 others like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

    NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Rockymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Idaho!
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    I'd also guess that by the time you've dropped one or two of their buddies, they're going to be anxious to leave.
    Shoot the trailing BG first to block their escape!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

    “I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

    Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA






  10. #9
    VIP Member Array OldChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,057
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Making me all paranoid, gonna have to run out and buy an AR pistol and figure out how I'm going to wear it AIWB. A couple of spare 30 rounders on my belt and I'm set! My 5-shot 340PD and a couple of speed strips is obviously not enough in this day and age.
    Far better that each of us evaluate our own personal risk. It isn't anybody's business how we defend our own homes. This isn't a contest. If we choose wrong, only we and our family will pay for the mistake.

    I'm not going to feel either over-paranoid or over-prepared and change my home defense plan to what you think might be good for you. That is EXACTLY what I said would be the wrong response to this news item.

    @CommonCents In this case, you may well be right. The only problem is we may never know whether it is or isn't. The question is simple. How certain do I feel that I will never have to face this kind of situation? I'm not a drug dealer, but how certain am I that there will never be a case in which my home is invaded by mistake? The problem is with those who simply believe whatever happens to them and their family, if it happens, will follow some kind of script written in their minds. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "We didn't think anybody would ever commit that horrible crime HERE. This is a nice neighborhood."
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Local story:

    https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...on-police-said

    Regardless of how this turns out, and it is far from settled, there are a couple of lessons to be learned.

    1) You cannot assume you will only face on or two people IF they decide to invade your home. In this instance, there were 5 people who decided to invade this home. Regardless of the reason they chose this home, it is always possible the invaders might get the wrong address and come to your doorstep.

    2) I know many folks like to claim that 2 or 3 shots are enough. That may certainly be true. But it is possible you will need more than 2 or 3 rounds - perhaps many more. I know many of you believe a 6 shot revolver will serve you well. And it will - unless you need more than 6 shots. Then you will need to learn to reload very quickly under fire. That is a challenge many police officers learned the hard way. Preliminary reports state there were 40 cartridge evidence markers in this one. Could you reload your six shot revolver 6 or 7 times if needed?

    This is in no way an attempt to start a capacity war. Such arguments are useless. You need to choose your defense response based on what you think is right for you in your situation.

    This is just offered to remind all of us that wild animals frequently run in packs and, God forbid, if we get caught in a bad situation, we don't want to lose because we underestimated the possible magnitude of the problem.

    Be safe.
    Very balanced and even report/opinions, OldChap! This is only ONE of MANY reports in the last few years where 3 or more perps invaded a home, and to dismiss it as "only one" is foolish. Surely some incidents reported as home invasions are drug-related turf war type events. JUST AS surely, some are NOT and are done to overwhelm, terrorize, rape, and murder. Many have been done where family members are held at gunpoint and one member goes with one perp to the ATM or store to get more money...to ignore these factual instances is to be poorly prepared, should 2 or more persons choose your home for ANY reason.

    I personally know of one simple example in my neighborhood...one morning a gang of 5 struck 5 houses, one after another. Two drove cars to haul the loot, and three hit the doors together and stormed into the house...nobody was home in any of the three houses. All 5 were arrested, we don't know if they were armed or not...but try handling three young men with a 5-6 shot revolver...not me. If that was all I had, sure...but to CHOOSE those odds...no. I keep hi-cap 9s and extra mags on both ends of the house...along with pump shotguns. I can't think of a reason why it would happen at MY house...but if it DOES, I'm not running out of ammo.

    There is an element of denial in trying to predict how much firepower we might need to protect our homes and loved ones. I like to know I have PLENTY. Cases like this one drive home the possibilities, and they're not rare at all.

    Another "real-world" example: https://kfor.com/2018/06/15/police-f...home-invasion/

    Another of many reported in the last few years: https://www.wate.com/news/tennessee/...sion/834578474

    Thirty minutes of web-reading will educate anyone who really wants to know more about the problem...what they choose to do to prepare for it...is strictly up to them...but don't ridicule the messenger because the message doesn't fit your idea of what might happen...we don't get to write the script.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array forester58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,593
    Well, for me it would be a S&W model 10, a GP100 or an 870 pump or some combo with the wife involved also. I am not preparing for what could possibly happen, only the most likely and that is good enough for me. Obviously more ammo is always better but, with a non auto person in my house who could be called on to use it more is not necessarily an advantage.
    We can get wrapped around the axle with this scenario stuff and I personally choose what I choose based on my location and its history of crime. Yeah, I could be choosing wrong but, so can the heavily armed homeowner who gets jumped taking out the trash. I agree with "Ya never know" but, I am not living my life worried about every little possibility, I might worry about more scenarios living in Houston or somewhere more likely to have this kind of crime regularly. I certainly would not fault anyone with more firepower than I am comfortable with, that is their personal choice.
    Snub44 and OldChap like this.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array WrongRecroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    AZ moutain lands
    Posts
    9,331
    This is why I keep saying having a easy to throw on kevlar vest is very important for HD esp if you are running into 2+ baddies ...

    And yeah always have reloads at hand or better yet a rifle or other long arm
    OldChap, GpTom and bigdogtx like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    im guessing a good chunk of these multi bad man invasions are drug ripoff invasions of a rival dealer.
    This is just one reason I've chosen hi-cap pistols/rifles for HD.

    A few years ago We had neighbors 1/2 mile south of us that were cooking meth.
    For Christmas, mom put a green bulb in her porch light above the front door. We had cars coming in our yard all night.
    She only turned it on when they weren't home.
    Unbeknownst to us, that was their signal that they had a fresh batch.
    With two houses on the farm, some of the customers were beating on my door. That was an interesting night.
    My wife and daughter spent the night barricaded in the bedroom with her PC9 next t her.

    I got plate numbers and pictures of most of the cars. Took local LE 3 years to put together a solid case to take them down.
    I had some threats when they went to trial. Thankfully nothing has come from them.

    We are in a quiet rural area with mostly minor crimes, but there is never any guarantee.
    AzQkr, Snub44, airslot and 3 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  15. #14
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Unless they can come five wide at me, I'm comfortable with whatever I happen to be carrying. Between my hard corners and narrow door/hallways, they'll be coming single-file.
    Set up into a defensive position that allows you to put the opponents in a fatal funnel or two while they make any approach. If you can't set up into a defensive position to control the funnels as you're out in the open, I'd use the 18 rounds in the g19x like this and worry about the wallboard and carpet repairs after all the excitement had diminished. Grab second gun and go to work two at a time if need be. As long as there's ammo in the gun/s, there's a pretty good chance they're the ones looking pretty weak in their attempt. Might look a little unorthodox to some, but there's no better way, when caught in the open that throwing up a wall of bullets. LOTS of bullets,

    Mike1956, OldChap, niks and 5 others like this.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    14,505
    Something To Consider - 5 Home Invaders-ext-mag.jpg
    OldChap, Snub44, xXxHeavy and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •