Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired - Page 4

Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired

This is a discussion on Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by KimBobTex Hmmmmm, let me think about this a sec .... Would I rather be employed, but dead? – or – Would I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Hmmmmm, let me think about this a sec ....

Would I rather be employed, but dead?

– or –

Would I rather be unemployed, and alive?

I need a bit more time on this ... I’ll have to get back to y’all shortly ....
    Since he got fired he can collect unemployment.
    Having been through a traumatic life threatening work related experience he might only seek employment where he can be armed; could try to get a doctor to sign off on disability, having to work unarmed after this event would be very stressful, possibly debilitating.
    Mike1956, TSKnight and Snub44 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Since he got fired he can collect unemployment.
    Having been through a traumatic life threatening work related experience he might only seek employment where he can be armed; could try to get a doctor to sign off on disability, having to work unarmed after this event would be very stressful, possibly debilitating.
    If he seeks professional help, he would have a valid Work Comp claim.
    CDW4ME and graydude like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skolnick View Post
    Or sued for failing to provide all necessary measures for a safe work environment.

Even a slam-dunk win is going to cost the company.
    No such suits for carry have produced positive results. "Safe work environment" is very vague and the criteria fairly easily met and they don't include guns.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    If he seeks professional help, he would have a valid Work Comp claim.

In his shoes I'd want as much $ from spineless co. as possible (workman's comp); caveat, short of hampering my ability to own/carry firearms.
    TSKnight likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

[QUOTE=Mike1956;7650002]The prevalence of help wanted signs on the doors and windows of an establishment is probably a decent indicator of the pay, POOR, benefits NONE,
    and working conditions, LOUSY
    "Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    I'd hire him in 30 seconds and double his salary.
    Snub44, RETSUPT99 and CDW4ME like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Big corporations don't care. It's all business to them. Being insured, bonded, licensed, and/or whatever else our laws demand comes with rules, regardless of employee 'well-being'.
    If their insurance says no guns, guess what.....

I do not like or agree with it. I'm in that same 'boat'. I travel, by car, for work. Out-of-town or close to home, I'm always on the road. My company, their insurance company, and fleet leasing agreements all say 'no guns'. If I'm shot on the job, well....thoughts and prayers to me form 'them'. Ohhhh but Lawdry if I shoot back.....

There is a serious disconnect here between what the company had a legal right to do (fire the 18 year employee) and excercising as sense of fairness. On the one hand, a company has to worry about its liability should the employee shoot an innocent customer which supports their no gun policy. They could get hit with punitive damages is a slick attorney convinced a jury that the company encouraged employees carrying. But that doesn't mean you fire someone after 18 years. How about suspending them for 90 days or something less severe than firing?

I recall when I was working for a gas station back when I was 21. Someone tried to drive off without paying for a tank of gas and the attendant on duty blew out the cars rear window with his .45 caliber 1911. I don't think much happened way back then, but if you did that today you would be facing charges of attempted murder. Imagine the civil liability if a bystander had been shot.

Hopefully being a bit wiser, I would never work in anything like a 7-11 or a local liquor store. But what did I do after that gas station job ended, I delivered drugs, including the occasional narcotics, to small hospitals including those located in high crime areas. All without a carry.

VIP Member
    Companies such as this have the right to make any rules they want - they also have the right to fail. They have a good start.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

This is an example of a no-win scenario. If the company had not disciplined the employee, it would have been tacit approval to carry a weapon to all employees of the company. And if there was a mishap, anywhere, the company would have been on the hook. We (of the gun community) may not like that the employee was punished for carrying a weapon while at work, but there is a larger picture here a company that size and scope has to deal with. At the end of the day, it's all about future law suits and positioning to protect the company. I don't know if it is explicitly discussed during the hiring process or not, but working in a gas station - especially at O'dark Thirty, is a dangerous job. The marketplace determines how much pay a store clerk gets for doing a dangerous job. The store clerk, on the other hand, no doubt knew he could not carry when employed there (I assume so at least), and if he did, he assumed the risk.

On the flip side, if they were covered by a union, it could be argued that management had failed to provide reasonable protection in what is inherently a dangerous play/way to work. The union can fight back the way unions do. Unfortunately unions have been beat down pretty good these days.

The man, despite 18 years of apparently loyal service - was given the boot.

Like I said - no win.
    Mike1956 likes this.

DG
    You pretty much summed it up. As we all know (read the news) every gun owner is not a responsible gunslinger. So, how should a business respond? Let's all bring our guns to work? If you don't have one, we'll give you one and see how that works out. Damn, nobody wants to insure us.. Wonder why?
    Mike1956 likes this.

DG
    The important thing to consider is this. After it was all said and done, did you go home to your loved ones? That's it in a nutshell. There are other jobs, other opportunities. You never know. You can mourn the loss and live in the past, or celebrate that you're still alive to seize the next opportunity.
    Mike1956 and TSKnight like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links