Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired

This is a discussion on Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The clerk had worked at the store for 18 years but got fired due to corporate policy. https://kdvr.com/2019/04/08/gas-stat...investigation/...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Clerk shoots armed robber then gets fired

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

The clerk had worked at the store for 18 years but got fired due to corporate policy.

https://kdvr.com/2019/04/08/gas-stat...investigation/
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    Rules are rules...
    G26Raven, AzQkr, Gabill and 4 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

The last picture and paragraph on the help wanted sign is priceless. No we don't respect your right to self defense, but come work for us and make us a profitable and successful company, however we dont care if you live or die. Sounds like a great set of "benefits" being offered.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    One has to wonder what the company would have done for the clerk's survivors has the perp shot and killed him. Probably tweeted "our thoughts and prayers are with him..."
    Last edited by gasmitty; April 9th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

That company is all wrong (spineless), you reward employees for good performance.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

The problem I have with this is simple. Yes companies do have rules and regulations for their employees to follow. But when someone holds a weapon on you, it has suddenly become a very personal situation. Those rules and regulations are not going to do someone any good at all in cases like this and as far as I'm concerned, are out the window. One would almost hope that the CEO of the company got robbed at gunpoint while visiting one of his stores. Then let's see how he feels about all of this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    The problem I have with this is simple. Yes companies do have rules and regulations for their employees to follow. But when someone holds a weapon on you, it has suddenly become a very personal situation. Those rules and regulations are not going to do someone any good at all in cases like this and as far as I'm concerned, are out the window. One would almost hope that the CEO of the company got robbed at gunpoint while visiting one of his stores. Then let's see how he feels about all of this.
    Bad rules are like bad laws. The fastest way to get rid of them is to enforce them. Before they can be enforced, they have to be broken.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    The last picture and paragraph on the help wanted sign is priceless. No we don't respect your right to self defense, but come work for us and make us a profitable and successful company, however we dont care if you live or die. Sounds like a great set of "benefits" being offered.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    The prevalence of help wanted signs on the doors and windows of an establishment is probably a decent indicator of the pay, benefits and working conditions.

From article:
    "Although this may have played out in a way that was self-defense, they (Suncor) may view it as a bad idea to have employees generally armed because the next person might misread a situation and shoot a customer," he said.

It is very difficult to misread a gun shoved in your face. Trust me on that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    From article:
    "Although this may have played out in a way that was self-defense, they (Suncor) may view it as a bad idea to have employees generally armed because the next person might misread a situation and shoot a customer," he said.

It is very difficult to misread a gun shoved in your face. Trust me on that.
    The "might shoot a customer" part of it is the owner's sole concern. If an employee gets injured or killed during an event, the employer will be insulated from financial repercussions via insurance. If a customer gets capped by an employee, not so much.

If I was that clerk and could go back in time, I wouldn't do anything differently. I hope current and potential employees understand that this company places little value on their lives.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    If I was that clerk and could go back in time, I wouldn't do anything differently. I hope current and potential employees understand that this company places little value on their lives.
    I bet he would work somewhere else.
    duane_wade and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    The only people who benefit from GFZs are the criminally inclined. The rest are simply potential victims.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The "might shoot a customer" part of it is the owner's sole concern. If an employee gets injured or killed during an event, the employer will be insulated from financial repercussions via insurance. If a customer gets capped by an employee, not so much.
    Decisions have consequences. The employee can either decide to relieve the owner of financial repercussion concerns, or he can decide to live another day to find a new job. Tough decision.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    One would almost hope that the CEO of the company got robbed at gunpoint while visiting one of his stores. Then let's see how he feels about all of this.
    Or sued for failing to provide all necessary measures for a safe work environment.

Even a slam-dunk win is going to cost the company.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links