Texas father freed, in beating death - Page 2

Texas father freed, in beating death

This is a discussion on Texas father freed, in beating death within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My first observation is that the case was presented to a grand jury, which is a decision taken by prosecutors in matters likely to expose ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Texas father freed, in beating death

My first observation is that the case was presented to a grand jury, which is a decision taken by prosecutors in matters likely to expose the prosecutor (an elected official) to public scrutiny over a decision to prosecute. This effectively provides an arm's length for the prosecutor in the event that a case becomes a matter of public debate or controversy.

My second observation is that grand jury cases are held completely in secret session; none of the evidence or testimony can be publicly disclosed under any circumstances. Pure speculation, but I suspect that the prosecutor presenting the case to the grand jury may have coached the jury members on the likelihood of acquittal at trial if even one member of the trial jury was a parent.

Finally, by concluding this matter via grand jury, with a 'no true bill' returned, maintains the confidentiality of those involved (daughter/victim, father/accused, etc), thus easing the entire incident to an early death in the news media and allowing the family to move forward toward a return to a healthy and normal life.

A good decision, in my opinion.
    Wolf357, Nmuskier and AzQkr like this.

The assailant is lucky he died before the father began dealing out his deserved punishment.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    There was no trial, the grand jury no billed him. And this occurred back in 2013.
    I could be mistaken but I believe RETSUPT99 meant "trial by father".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links