Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say;

Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say;

This is a discussion on Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say; within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say - Story | KSAZ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By SatCong
  • 4 Post By HotBrass45
  • 6 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By SatCong
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Witness pulls out gun, stops suspect from kidnapping 11-year-old girl, police say;

airslot likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

"When the suspect started talking to the girl, a witness knocked him down and told him to leave the girl alone. The witness then pointed a handgun at the suspect and told him to leave."

And then, officer, after I knocked him down he got up and came for me. I was in fear for my life, and had to shoot him. Fifteen times. Twice in the sack.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

"Normally, that doesn't happen in this kind of neighborhood. As you can tell, it's kind of quiet," said another resident."

Is that a required statement whenever a crime happens in a "good" neighborhood? It very popular to say evidently.

I'm a bit surprised that a "witness" who knocked a perp down, pointed a gun at him, then told him to leave. At that point the witness was all in and may as well have held the perp at gunpoint until LE showed up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Normally, that doesn't happen in this kind of neighborhood. As you can tell, it's kind of quiet," said another resident."

Is that a required statement whenever a crime happens in a "good" neighborhood? It very popular to say evidently.

I'm a bit surprised that a "witness" who knocked a perp down, pointed a gun at him, then told him to leave. At that point the witness was all in and may as well have held the perp at gunpoint until LE showed up.
    Now we know who is off your list......
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Given the totality of the story as reported, understood, but still seems like that could be seen as "brandishing" a fire arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Encore2016 View Post
    Given the totality of the story as reported, understood, but still seems like that could be seen as "brandishing" a fire arm.
    "brandishing" a fire arm, not if he stops a kidnapping.
    CreedDryrot and ep1953 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    In Flagstaff or Tucson, perhaps, but unlikely in Phoenix.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    "brandishing" a fire arm, not if he stops a kidnapping.
    In my state, the requirements to justify brandishing are the same as to justify shooting. So, if the witness first knocked the guy down, the kidnapping was no longer in progress at the point. The "witness" could not then shoot at the guy on the ground, so he couldn't brandish either. Now if the perp tried to get up and continue his attack, different story. If he produced a weapon, different story. But at least in this state, you cannot continue with lethal force, or even the threat of lethal force, if the attack is stopped. Holding the guy at gunpoint for the police is even pretty iffy. If the guy decides to get up and leave, you can't shoot him, so it is a meaningless threat.

Now, if instead of knocking the guy down, he just shot the perp while the perp still had hands on the girl, that probably would have stood up as justified. I applaud what the guy did, and I would have done the same initial action, but not drawn my gun if I had been able to knock him down.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Police say the suspect is a black man with a very dark complexion, green eyes and has a stud-style nose ring. He was wearing a black hoodie.
    I didn't think police were allowed to describe a suspect as either a male, or a black male any more; or that the suspect was wearing a hoodie.

Libs prefer a description like "The police are looking for a person wearing clothes, who was last seen in xxxx part of the county. The police would like to determine whether or not the aforementioned person would like to press charges against the bystander who interfered with said person's discussion with the youngster."

I'm glad there was a citizen willing to step in and stop the abduction.
    ep1953 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Yes, it does, but then killing a person is homicide regardless of reason. In self defense of persons it is called "justified." Brandishing in the course of committing self defense is also justified. If not, then every SD shooting--or even presentation of a weapon--would be a chargeable offense.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Real unusual for a black person to have green eyes. Makes me wonder about the whole story. From what I have seen the only way a dark skinned black person can have green eyes is if they are wearing contacts.

I don't know how it works in Arizona, but in Michigan I think his actions would have been entirely justified by the Michigan Self Defense Act:

"According to Michiganís Self-Defense Act, section 780.972, the use of deadly force is justified when a person believes there is an imminent threat of death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault."
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Real unusual for a black person to have green eyes. Makes me wonder about the whole story. From what I have seen the only way a dark skinned black person can have green eyes is if they are wearing contacts.
    Not all that uncommon. It really draws one's attention though, not ideal for one committed to a life of crime.

Sponsored Links