Fort Worth dad stops his son from being the next mass shooter.

This is a discussion on Fort Worth dad stops his son from being the next mass shooter. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now this is how it is supposed to work. No new gun laws needed, just people who care enough to get the mentally ill off ...

Like Tree28Likes
  • 6 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 6 Post By ddrew
  • 5 Post By 1942bull
  • 3 Post By graydude
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By gatorbait51
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By SFury

Thread: Fort Worth dad stops his son from being the next mass shooter.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

Now this is how it is supposed to work.
    No new gun laws needed, just people who care enough to get the mentally ill off the streets.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Po...559885891.html
    TimGunn, GpTom, matthew03 and 3 others like this.

Current gun laws work
    Guy went to several shops to buy a gun, and was turned down at all due to failed background checks

Distinguished Member
    I wish such reports got widespread publicity because they do show that current laws do work and that another person's bad intentions can be prevented by decisive action.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

So he apparently attempted to purchase guns and failed NICS checks, at multiple locations.

Is that legal, attempting to purchase guns after already being denied? If not, why didn't the law enforcement network network intervene at the last point of attempted sale?

I'm glad the guy's father took action, otherwise the lack of enforcement of current laws would have let another slip through until tragedy happened.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    So he apparently attempted to purchase guns and failed NICS checks, at multiple locations.

Is that legal, attempting to purchase guns after already being denied? If not, why didn't the law enforcement network network intervene at the last point of attempted sale?

I'm glad the guy's father took action, otherwise the lack of enforcement of current laws would have let another slip through until tragedy happened.
    I wonder if the NICS checks at the local gun shops show if a potential purchaser was denied in the past or does it just state denied. If it shows that guy was just recently turned down then a gun shop would be able to drop a dime on him, maybe while he is still in the store waiting for the background check to be completed.
    I would be interested to know if shops get that kind of information when running the check

VIP Member

Ala Dylan Roof and the Texas Church shooter
    graydude likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I wonder if the NICS checks at the local gun shops show if a potential purchaser was denied in the past or does it just state denied. If it shows that guy was just recently turned down then a gun shop would be able to drop a dime on him, maybe while he is still in the store waiting for the background check to be completed.
    I would be interested to know if shops get that kind of information when running the check
    In Orygun it doesn't. If yes you get an approval number. If no, it is no.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    In Orygun it doesn't. If yes you get an approval number. If no, it is no.
    It just makes too much sense not to give the gun shops this kind of information
    The current background checks can be tweaked to make then so much more effective.
    In most cases LE can show up at the shop and investigate why he is still "shopping around"
    Or show up at his residence to find out.
    We do not need more laws, just use the ones we have more effectively
    airslot, TimGunn and graydude like this.

Failed NICS checks get reported to the BATF. Should the federal agents choose to, which is almost never, they have to pursue pressing charges when warranted.
    graydude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    It just makes too much sense not to give the gun shops this kind of information
    The current background checks can be tweaked to make then so much more effective.
    In most cases LE can show up at the shop and investigate why he is still "shopping around"
    Or show up at his residence to find out.
    We do not need more laws, just use the ones we have more effectively
    My wife was turned down once. We called TBI and asked why. The lady on the phone said she had no idea why and that it should have passed. She did something on the computer and told us to go back to the store and purchase the gun. We did just that with no issues. Should that "failed" background check show up for her in the future? If a gun shop sees a failure in the past they may decide not to sell a gun to someone. My wife wouldn't (potentially) be able to purchase a gun because of a mistake.

Sponsored Links