Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant - Page 2

Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

This is a discussion on Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad shoot .................. the result of hiring poorly trained book smart street stupid idiots. My .02 !...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Another LEO shoots homeowner/occupant

sgb
    Bad shoot .................. the result of hiring poorly trained book smart street stupid idiots. My .02 !
    Paladin3840, Pain and Secret Spuk like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What a shame. It seems like she was very dedicated to teaching her AP science nerds. We need more STEM teachers, especially those that take t seriously like the victim apparently did.
    Not quite enough info to make a decision yet but looks pretty bad.

Hopefully there will be justice for her(if in fact it is as bad as it looks). Never know. The incident here turned out to be a complete farce and cover-up by the Sheriffs Dept. The deputy went to the wrong house, entered a man's yard and shot him through his window. The dept lied about the incident and the truth was exposed when the body cam footage was released. Turns out the homeowner did noting wrong. The dept investigated itself and decided everything was cool. No charges or firing for the deputy that was on someone's property for no reason, did not have the blue lights on, did not identify himself and just decided that a homeowner needed to be shot through his own window.

I had previously considered over penetration through barriers as something to avoid for home defense. Now I need to focus on HD with the ability to punch through barriers and soft body armor.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/offi...through-window

From the article:
    Tench is heard screaming in pain, saying he had been shot twice. "Oh my god, call the cops please!"
    The deputy, standing in the yard away from the door, yells back, "I am the cops!"

"You came to my house at 12 o'clock at night I'm sleeping," Tench said on the body camera video. Tench says he had to protect his home and then says "I can't believe you did this to me!"
    "We're not going to talk about this right now," Azzara[cop] responds calmly.

The state of South Carolina has sanctioned the shooting of innocent homeowners inside their own homes:
    State agents investigated the shooting, and in a two-paragraph letter on Sept. 3, South Carolina Assistant Attorney General Jerrod Fussnecker said he reviewed their findings and decided Greenville County deputy Kevin Azzara was justified in shooting homeowner Dick Tench.

Ok, fine. At least the rules are clear now. My home defense weapons and tactics have shifted accordingly.
    matthew03 likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    They really need to disarm the police.
    I know my post is going to stir up a fire storm yet ..... I am tired of people condemning police and deputies when and if a mistake was made especially if they dont have all the facts!

Then I suppose that you will step up and become an unarmed police officer and answer the robberies, burglaries, thefts, family violence, dope and dope selling calls and the host of other calls that police perform. You are damning thousands upon thousands of police officers that serve and their only thought is about serving and taking care of their communities. You are also forgetting that the men and women that serve are humans and make mistakes. I spent over 34 years serving and I never knew a person that became a police officer or deputy that joined with the idea of wanting to shoot someone. Mistakes should not be a pass but mistakes are made and they should be dealt with one a one on one situation and not all condemned!
    OD*, msgt/ret, OldChap and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    More and more, there are days when I thank the good Lord I'm retired.

Absolute catastrophe.
    I'm right there with you, Thanking God I am retired
    OldChap and Redbert31 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - charges won't stick because legally the cop commited no crime
    - you can't prove premeditation or intent or neglegence or reclessness under current TX law
    - CA use of force laws jut got changed from 'reasonable' to 'necessary'...

- in CA this case would likley be prosecuted as NOT 'necessary'
    - in TX the law says 'reasonable' and in this case the officer can easily argue that it was reasonable to fear for his life under the circumstances (door open, no response, silouette figure with gun in hand)..
    No, it's not "reasonable" to shoot someone who has a firearm in hand without threatening you, while they're in their home.
    Legal gun owners are not there for police target practice.
    If this is the standard, then if the owner would have shot the police officer for showing up armed and unannounced in the middle of the night she should not have been charged either. Is that the standard?
    The deputy should go away for manslaughter. It was a bad decision, and unfortunately any one of us who made that decision would be in prison as well... that's the risk one takes when pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    There’s body cam footage. I watched it and it looks pretty bad for the cop.
    Got a link to that footage?

What a shame. Another innocent person minding their own business when they are shot/killed by a cop.

Sometimes if my door doesn’t latch good, if we get a good gust of wind it will blow it open. I’ve seen neighbors have their doors open before. No reason for this.
    graydude, Pain and Cnon like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Got a link to that footage?
    Original article has been updated with some of the body cam footage.I

It doesn't look good. The verbal warning and the shot take about 1.5 seconds. Doesn't leave much time for the homeowner to comply.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I know my post is going to stir up a fire storm yet ..... I am tired of people condemning police and deputies when and if a mistake was made especially if they dont have all the facts!

Then I suppose that you will step up and become an unarmed police officer and answer the robberies, burglaries, thefts, family violence, dope and dope selling calls and the host of other calls that police perform. You are damning thousands upon thousands of police officers that serve and their only thought is about serving and taking care of their communities. You are also forgetting that the men and women that serve are humans and make mistakes. I spent over 34 years serving and I never knew a person that became a police officer or deputy that joined with the idea of wanting to shoot someone. Mistakes should not be a pass but mistakes are made and they should be dealt with one a one on one situation and not all condemned!
    I was joking. It is hard to portray sarcasm online.

Pretending to think like a Social Justice Warrior gives me heart burn.
    Bigsteve113 and viney266 like this.

Haven’t been able to view video yet (traveling) so have a few questions: Was the cop outside, in an unlit or poorly lit area? Did they identify themselves before firing? Was the resident threatening, or merely holding a gun? Was the resident even holding a gun?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Looks bad to me. Killing homeowners in their own home is kind of a big deal. But let the investigation go on and hopefully all the facts come out.
    Risasi likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    They really need to disarm the police.
    No I'd think they need to go back to the qualification standards used in the past. Political correctness seems to be leading to a lot of questionable individuals. Then there's the crucification of officers who resort to being physical with their arrests, which IMHO leads to the situations escalating and officers responding with deadly force. Used to be an [email protected]@ kicking was considered a result of being an [email protected]@hole to an officer, now it's a ticket to the lottery.
    SFury likes this.

So, she's watching her 8 year old nephew and all the lights are on and the front door is wide open at 2:30 AM? The police respond and to me it would look like a crime in progress. At the beginning of the video you can see some stuff on the living room floor that makes it look like the house is being ransacked. Obviously, something was out of the ordinary or the neighbor wouldn't have made the call. Looks like the police are trying to catch a burglar? in the progress as they look around the property. When the officer spots someone in the bedroom things happened very quickly so I can't establish blame from the video only and no one else can. Apparently there was a handgun involved. Was it pointed at the officer? No one knows yet. Was she jacked up on drugs? I'll wait for the toxicology report. Was she suicidal (by cop)? I'll wait for all the evidence first and won't second guess the officer, although I admit it doesn't look good that he fired so quickly. On the other hand, if she pointed a gun at him all it takes is a split second delay and he could lose his life.
    OldChap, AzQkr and bill35738 like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Distinguished Member
    Sadly these investigations are done by those with a bias. I find it incredibly difficult to square rulings of no issue when a law abiding homeowner is shot in their own home by a LEO who pulls the trigger without sufficient justification (such as have been shot at, threatened, etc.) but we seem to be seeing a few of these with the "investigation" coming to the "conclusion" that there was no foul by the LEO. Turn it around, what if the officer had entered the home (door was open) and the homeowner had shot the officer dead? Would the homeowner get off scot-free?
    MMinSC, Mjolnir, Psycho41 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post

If we make a mistake...WE GO TO JAIL...same rules don't apply to cops...what in HELL is right about that?

Oh, my bad, I forgot there is a double standard. We citizens better know what we are doing...not so much for LEO.
    msgnyc likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links